• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Determining video game generations has gotten weird. Consoles from different manufacturers used to launch all around the same time, using same-ish hardware. I think the determination of generations used to be done by taking into account both of these things: competition and hardware.

Though starting with the Wii, hardware didn't really matter anymore. The Wii was the Gamecube's official successor, but had very different hardware capabilities from those of the PS3 and 360, and yet, it was still part of the seventh generation of video games consoles, per wikipedia.

The Wii U followed the Wii. It kickstarted the eighth generation of consoles, and competed with both the PS4 and the Xbox One, despite almost being a generation of hardware behind.

Enter the Switch. The official successor to both the Wii U and 3DS, though it is still competing with the PS4 and the Xbox One. Neither wikipedia's page on the eighth generation of consoles, nor its other on the Switch mention anything about which generation of consoles the Switch is part of.

Personally, I think the Switch is still part of the current, eighth, generation of consoles. Hardware doesn't matter anymore. The Switch is still competing with the PS4 and Xbox One, and will do so for another several years, as next-gen consoles are rumored to come out anywhere between 2019 and 2021 (I'm putting my bets on 2020). The Switch is certainly starting a new era at Nintendo, with its being both a portable and home console. But I'm not seeing anything that would justify putting it in a new "generation of consoles". It doesn't feel like one. It's been mentioned before, but the Switch feels like an extension of the Wii U. Like how a butterfly is the same entity as when it was in caterpillar form. It's the same, yet different.

The Switch is basically the Wii U with its skin shed. It's what the Wii U was destined to become.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Started the ninth.

Especially considering the sales disaster the Wii U was.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
It probably best fits as a cutting edge next gen portable with a nice dock. I don't think Nintendo wants us thinking about CPU and GPU and RAM when defining generations, which is part of the brilliance of switch design. it's hard to really classify. Sure has great games though.

Oct 25, 2017
The 3DS was out pretty close to the end of the previous generation but it's part of the 8th.
As a successor to two 8th generations systems, it's likely part of the 9th.

Generations are likely to get more muddy as iterative hardware upgrades become popular.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
9th because it is nintendo's 8th generation sucessor.

But generation talks stopped make sense a long time ago

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
I dunno generations are now a mess anyway, with stop-gap hardware and Switch happening (and possibly it's iterations later) I think generations are a thing of the past now.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
people liked to say the Wii U was part of PS4 gen, so i guess that means the Switch is PS5 gen

asmuch as people would to think otherwise, it really is just personal preference where the lines are drawn, PS4 Pro could have started the next generation for someone, its arbitrary anyway, it doesn't affect things enough to warrant investment in which is categorized as which

casey_contra

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
The Switch is still competing with the PS4 and Xbox One, and will do so for another several years, as next-gen consoles are rumored to come out anywhere between 2019 and 2021 (I'm putting my bets on 2020). The Switch is certainly starting a new era at Nintendo, with its being both a portable and home console. But I'm not seeing anything that would justify putting it in a new "generation of consoles". It doesn't feel like one. It's been mentioned before, but the Switch feels like an extension of the Wii U. Like how a butterfly is the same entity as when it was in caterpillar form. It's the same, yet different.

The Switch is basically the Wii U with its skin shed. It's what the Wii U was destined to become.

While I agree that the fact that they exist in the same market means they are technically competitors (especially because a lot of people can't afford two consoles), I do think there has been kind of a "parallel device" strategy/effect with the Switch. I think it's a much easier system to stand alongside PS4 or Xbox One. Even in terms of discussion I find most debates between Microsoft and Sony, with Nintendo on it's own island. I actually think 8.5 might be a good way to put it.

I don't think Switch sales will be drastically affected by the release of PS5/Xboxwhatever even if there isn't a major "Switch 2" or hardware revision (definitely expect one minor one though).

Satonaka

Oct 29, 2017
Madrid
I would say 9th, as Nintendo consoles have always defined the beginning of a generation, starting with the NES. However, generations start to blur, and Switch releases in the same time window as Xbox One and Ps4 revisions which are not only "slim" versions but also increase power. The generational talk is starting to become a thing of the past.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
7th generation - Wii/X360/PS3

8th generation - WiiU/XBO/PS4

I was on a forum in the past who wanted to argue this as well, but the WiiU was the next generation of Nintendo whether people wanted to acknowledge that or not. Generations isnt about power, but in reality it doesnt actually matter what generation it falls under. I would say 9th personally.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
They got what.. 4 years out of Wii U? I guess more like 2 and a bit given how barren it got near the end - but that's not far off a full generation, at least as far as some legacy consoles go.

All manufacturers have kind of gone out of their way this generation to break the 'generation' paradigm. Microsoft and Sony with their stop-gap consoles, and Nintendo with it's hybrid break from the norm. All signs point to all three trying to create an architectural road map, something they can iterate on rather than renew every 4/5 years. I think we're going to see streaming come in to play again at some point too.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think we won't know the answer to this until the PS5 and Xbox Gigante launch. Right now, we're kind of in this 8.5 generation with the hardware refreshes and the Switch coming out now. If consoles do become more iterative, the concept of generations may be reaching it's end. It may also be time to stop assuming all major console manufacturers are running on the same timeline, and that the concept of Generation is limiting to what products can be introduced when.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
We already had this thread.

Generations are a concept. They don't mean anything and It's pointless arguing over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.