• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Did you get bait by the whole wrecktrain of "Dante in Smash" ?

• I sure did fam, I wanted to 0-to-death everyone in Smash while using broken-as-Bayo-In-Smash-4 Dante

Votes: 32 10.0%
  • Nah bruh, I am smarter than ya all, not gunna set myself up, you fool tears are delicious tho.

Votes: 230 72.1%
  • There is still hope fam, lets us pray. Sweet baby Jesus Shall Pull Our Devil Triggers Someday.

Votes: 82 25.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is Altair trending? They making an Assassin's Creed remaster or something?

And I don't even want to know what "hoes mad" is about
qbtIidz.jpg

screen-shot-2020-01-16-at-14-34-56-1.900x.jpg

I, too, would like to know what "hoes mad" is about :v

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The thing that cracks me up about the Dante stuff is that there was nothing but wishful thinking going on based off of one coincidence. I certainly wasn't expecting Byleth at all, but Dante wouldn't have been on my radar either if it weren't for people hyping themselves up over nothing

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Why is Altair trending? They making an Assassin's Creed remaster or something?

And I don't even want to know what "hoes mad" is about
qbtIidz.jpg

screen-shot-2020-01-16-at-14-34-56-1.900x.jpg

I, too, would like to know what "hoes mad" is about :v

It's just people making fun of those who are angry at today's announcement.

It's continuing a meme that first came up when people got really mad at the announcement of Hero back in Summer.
Funnily enough, back then the most common complaint was "anime swordsman" as well.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
No, you all acted like fools and got made the fool. That was always going to be the outcome.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It's the hilarious time they announed FF VII for PS4 and it was a port. And a few months later they announced the real one. What happened there?

Ruu

Oct 28, 2017
I know a lot of people love dante (and I know I'm in the minority probably) but I'll take just about anyone over him, I never really cared for any dmc games. Byleth wasn't my first (or 5th) choice but of all the character from the DLC I'm likely to play as the most... it's probably Byleth.

I mentioned this in another thread but honestly I'm just bummed there was only 1 character that kids are into and that one was from a series that hasn't had a game in a while. I wish there was something my kids could get excited about.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I was convinced it was Dante too, and was pleasantly surprised when it wasn't. Reuben Langdon still hasn't rescinded his bigoted comments from last year, so I unfortunately can't be hyped for Dante anymore even tho he was one of my favorite characters before this all happened.

ResolutionX

Oct 26, 2017
Biggest bait would be Snake in MGS2. Main character in that franchise up to that point, not an extra character in DLC for a fighthing game full of cameos from different series.

The duck hunt shadow in Banjo's trailer is a bigger bait than this.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Mr. Grinch was a mean one. A far meaner one than this.

But you played yourself hard.

Leafhopper

Oct 25, 2017
You all as a community (DMC) do this stuff to yourself. From claiming DMC5 was going to be at every video game event ever before it's announcement because a voice actor breathed on Twitter to claiming you saw the tip of Dante's coat in some screenshot that was just a normal red coat. There was no proof, there NEVER is any proof. You are only bating yourselves.

d0cwBcI.gif

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
That DMC tweet was referring to DMC3, and it would make little to no sense for them to be pointing to a direct that early anyway. People look way too into things sometimes.

More than one piece of news can happen on the same day, lol.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't.

That said, Sakurai showing three fingers in the promo because it meant 17 in binary, which is the number of mainline FE games, is proof that we are all just unwilling pawns in his game. That man plays 5D Smash.
I have to admire his willingness to troll an entire fanbase.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Serious question, not even shitposting or trying to be an asshole
Op, have you like actually followed smash hype?
There has been FAR bigger baits than just one capcom character and vague twitter text like the grinch "leak" or the rayman shit

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not bait yet.

I still think Dante happening. There has been too much going back from last year that keeps slipping up.

It's just we had a couple things lined up perfectly which made me think he was coming earlier then I thought he was.

Edit: It's hard talking about this subject while trying to tell people I'm not a thirsty fan. And I'm just looking at everything that has hinted at Dante objectively.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
I would love Dabte in Smash but all the people that believed it was a sure thing just set themselves up for disappointment.

The 3 DMC3 Switch announcements were always just for the Switch port of that game and judging by the Trailer for the Style Switch they don't even have that big of a budget for that cause its just a port.
It's a cool feature and just that.

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
In terms of actual company-generated fakeouts, the Square announcement of a PS4 port of the original FFVII back when people were still holding out hope for a remake is the biggest example I can think of.

In terms of entirely fan-generated insanity, nothing for me will top when Metal Gear Solid fanatics convinced themselves in the leadup to MGSV that an Italian doctor who intended to perform a head transplant was actually part of an elaborate viral marketing scheme for the game, up to the point that the doctor declared that he inteded to sue Konami for appropriating his likeness without permission.

LmUee5k.jpg

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Never ceases to amuse me how much people (pretend to) care about characters being in Smash.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
All the Dante hype felt so... artificial. It was like you guys were trying to will him into existence over nothing.

If Dante is eventually in, then he's in. Until then, he's just gonna share a wishlist spot with like a dozen other wanted characters.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I always thought it was mostly a meme but one I was willing to believe in for some dumb reason

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Nintendo's Gamecube Zelda tech demo before eventually announcing Windwaker with its unique visual style.

Square's PS3 FF7 tech demo igniting demand for the remake about 15 years ago.
Those were also not baits, tech demos are meant to show off what hardware can do not be teases for future projects. They use familiar ip because that's what the people making the tech demo want too do with it.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Do Not Create: Response or Parody Threads

A response thread is a thread created to 'respond' or react to a discussion that is already ongoing in an existing thread. This happens when a member wants to shout over posters in the other thread, or because they believe that their opinion is more important than the other replies. A parody thread is a thread created to parody another thread, either for mockery or as a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.