• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Did you get bait by the whole wrecktrain of "Dante in Smash" ?

• I sure did fam, I wanted to 0-to-death everyone in Smash while using broken-as-Bayo-In-Smash-4 Dante

Votes: 32 10.0%
  • Nah bruh, I am smarter than ya all, not gunna set myself up, you fool tears are delicious tho.

Votes: 230 72.1%
  • There is still hope fam, lets us pray. Sweet baby Jesus Shall Pull Our Devil Triggers Someday.

Votes: 82 25.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, he has been rumored for a while now, a lot of people were expecting Dante to say the least, he was trending in twitter, then out of nowhere Capcom (who is infamous for their sometimes barebones ports to Switch) is updating DMC3 (one of the best action games ever adding a really significant feature that makes the game even better) and they are teasing dates (jan 16th), then Sakurai comes and says out of nowhere the next character is going to be announced on that very same date, then Kamiya retweets it, then a lot of youtubers made their "Dante in smash?!" videos, hell the very same Maximilian did one, it all made soooo much sense (After all we got Bayonetta for Smash 4, and Bayo X Dante has always been a thing a lot of people have wanted), the hype was palpable, hell most people of gaming cycles/groups I am in where expecting Dante in smash and some of them don't even play smash, or Nintendo games for that matter, its was everyone and their mothers waiting for it, then the all mighty hammer of truth fell upon us and now we know we are on the darkest timeline and it all was just a coincidence and some of us set ourselves for disappointment, but how could you not get baited by this? it was too easy to fall for it, most of us did and now we are paying the horrible price of sporting avatars of fucking Donte.

We might still get Dante in the future, after all, six characters are still coming and at least he didnt get disconfirmed and turned into a mii costume (at least not yet). But oh well.

So yeah, question is, has something similar to this happened ever in gaming? where some circunstancial stuff lead to the believe of something, only for it to be completely unrelated? is this the biggest bait ever plotted by Sakurai to make us suffer eternal pain in all cycles of hell in Dante's ínferno?

Don't announce me for Smash and reply to Byleth's thread if not interested in this topic.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not even top 100 in the gaming baits list. People hyped themselves over nothing.

Ira

Oct 27, 2017
It's sure as hell not the first time people have jumped to conclusions about things with minimal evidence.

Arkai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There was never bait, just people getting carried away and it went off the rails a bit.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
People have an amazing ability to convince themselves and see patterns where there is nothing.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Wut.

Kamiya retweets like all Nintendo announcements.

If it was Dante in Smash, Nintendo wouldn't allow Campcom to announce the announcement ahead of time as it's not their game. On top of that Capcom had said they had announcements about Devil May Cry 3 for Switch, anyone who thought that meant they had Smash Bros news is just crazy.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I want Dante but I have faith he wouldn't be broken lol

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
lol no

it's not even the biggest bait in smash bros

maxresdefault.jpg

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
People let their hunches run wild, it wasn't a bait. Also, Dante isn't big enough of a character to warrant it being a "big" let alone "biggest" bait.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno why people believed that Capcom would announce the fighter on the 16th. The timing was pure coincidence like Sega Ages Puyo Puyo Tsu coming out in Japan on the 16th.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I mean you're right. Fuck, what the hell video game box I going to put my "featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series & KNUCKLES" novelty stickers on now?

I dunno why people believed that Capcom would announce the fighter on the 16th. The timing was pure coincidence like Sega Ages Puyo Puyo Tsu coming out in Japan on the 16th.

Worst part is Arle Nadja is the anime swordswoman hero we needed, if not the one we deserved. Madou Monogatari, you may be forgotten but not unloved.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It's not even the biggest Smash Ultimate bait. Remember the Grinch?
I remember the CONVINCED people and then DECEPTIONED when they believed that the Direct that was delayed by a earthquake was because Isaac was in Smash and that they were going to announce a new Golden Sun for Switch.

It was horrific to see so many disappointed people who had been excited based on absolutely nothing.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How is it in any way bait?

People who bought into Dante were literally trying to fit a square peg into a hole. The DMC tweet even said it was related to DMC3's Switch version!

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
No. Most of it was fans connecting dots on shaky ground. Biggest "work themselves into a shoot", maybe.

The biggest bait was MGS2. And it was terrific.

A_Ageli

Oct 24, 2019
It's not bait at all. Fans just act like rabid dogs in lead up to new Smash reveal and lead themselves to believe anything they trick themselves into thinking based off the slightest piece of information.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Where did the "Dante in Smash" thing even originate?

The bigger giveaway should have been Tokyo Mirage Sessions releasing tomorrow, hence a Fire Emblem character.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Bait implies that you were all being mislead on purpose. No such thing happened. You let yourselves see things that weren't there. Anyone half way paying attention knew Dante wasn't coming.

Oct 25, 2017
Did you really expect Capcom to hint towards the Direct in advance?

Honestly more let down that we didn't get Arle or a really out of left field pick but Byleth looks fun, so I'm happy with that.

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
Can't imagine being baited by fake 4chan leaks. and Jan 16 was obviously going to be DMC3 news

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not a smash fan and I don't follow smash, but I was definitely aware of the Ridley thing through osmosis. I never heard of the Dante thing until today. For whatever that's worth.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
The Capcom guy couldn't have known that Nintendo plans a Smash presentation on the 16th, it was just a somewhat unlucky coincidence. "Bait" would imply that someone mislead you on purpose and that just didn't happen.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
This isnt even the first time it's happened, let alone the biggest.

Its not even a bait either anyway, its just fans getting hyped up over nothing with substantial evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.