• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
I cannot get a straight answer from Microsoft. I have tried. I have asked, and the response I received was (I kid you not):

"Sometimes the system fails by default."

What the hell kind of customer service is that? Sometimes our shit just breaks on purpose? It's not a bug, it's a feature.

My card is valid, details are valid, I am able to purchase through Xbox One everything EXCEPT backward compatible games and DLC.

I changed cards, same error. So, it's not a card issue. Which means it's either specific to me, or the whole 360 Marketplace is down.

I do not own an Xbox 360, I will not buy an Xbox 360. I cannot complete a purchase through xbox.com or the Microsoft Store on Windows, either. I am only having this issue when trying to buy Xbox 360 games. "Sorry. Your purchase cannot be completed at this time. Please try again."

Anyone wanna be a kind soul and attempt a 360 game purchase on Xbox One to see if it goes through? Because Microsoft ain't helping me one bit. When I questioned their response, the second and final option they gave me was:

"Purchase the game directly on Xbox 360."

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's their generic error message that could mean literally anything. Are you by any chance on a different region or country to the place you're actually living in? There are certain 360 games they I need tob use a VPN before the store lets me buy. Without it I get that same error

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
Check your region settings. They are fine with cross region buy for xbone games but 360 is really wonky with that stuff

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Xbox support is beyond horrendous right now. Not sure if they changed their direction before covid or it's this bad because of covid but it didn't use to be this bad.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
https://beta.support.xbox.com/xbox-live-status?epb=1

Sometimes there is issues with old credit in your account and trying to purchase 360 games, that was years ago for me. Region issue perhaps.

Your billing info has to match across Xbox One and Xbox 360, it may be slightly different if you haven't touched the 360 in ages. Even something like language, English US over English GB could make it wonky.

OP
OP
MinusTydus

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
It's not a region issue.
I've never owned an Xbox 360, so it isn't that my billing info doesn't match. There is nothing to match.
Already tried buying through a browser, same error message. Not game specific either, across ALL Xbox 360 games.
I can purchase Xbox One games perfectly fine. This affects ONLY Xbox 360 games.
On hold with support, now. It's outsourced, and of course they do not understand my issue no matter no plainly I explain.

Sigh.

And now, they are telling me to buy the game directly from my (non-existent) Xbox 360.

Jesus.

Guess I'm just locked out forever.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Your card region needs to match your 360 account region, have you ever changed it or moved house to another country?

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not a region issue.
I've never owned an Xbox 360, so it isn't that my billing info doesn't match. There is nothing to match.
Already tried buying through a browser, same error message. Not game specific either, across ALL Xbox 360 games.
On hold with support, now. It's outsourced, and of course they do not understand my issue no matter no plainly I explain.

Sigh.

Well, they still need billing info to complete an Xbox 360 purchase, may be wrong but it might not be separate even if you haven't used it before, going through Xbox.com, you can sort of wiggle your way through the profile settings and land on old Xbox 360 era settings like that I think.

Only other thing I can think of is it a child account?

OP
OP
MinusTydus

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Well, they still need billing info to complete an Xbox 360 purchase, may be wrong but it might not be separate even if you haven't used it before, going through Xbox.com, you can sort of wiggle your way through the profile settings and land on old Xbox 360 era settings like that I think.
I've purchased Xbox 360 games before on my XB1, this is an issue which has just started today.

Chat gives zero fucks, and customer service does not have an employee that can comprehend the problem.

"You need to buy the game on Xbox 360."
- "The game is purchasable and backward compatible on Xbox One."

FML

OP
OP
MinusTydus

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Victoria has failed me.
Lucy (that is not your name!) has failed me.

Hakim, you're my only hope.

Oh God, he's started with a smiley emoji.

I'm fucked.

"You need to understand that you can not buy backward compatible games on the Xbox One directly."

What the flying FUCK?!

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It's not a region issue.
It creates an Xbox Live V1 Account when you first make a current Xbox Live Account.

It's invisible to you.
If you were for example on a VPN or had changed your Xbox One console region, it may be that it has created a corresponding 360 account.

Which game are you trying to purchase and what region are you in?

What payment method are you using?

OP
OP
MinusTydus

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
"i see, then I belive [sic] it's an issue from our end in that case,but no worries I'm gonna escalate your case to our TEC [sic] LEAD and update you via email I'm the next 24H"

Lord, help me.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Victoria has failed me.
Lucy (that is not your name!) has failed me.

Hakim, you're my only hope.

Oh God, he's started with a smiley emoji.

I'm fucked.

"You need to understand that you can not buy backward compatible games on the Xbox One directly."

What the flying FUCK?!
Screencap and tweet to @xboxsupport. You're literally talking to an Xbox fan who does free chat support right now

www.gamesindustry.biz

Microsoft reportedly replaced support staff with the volunteers they trained

Earlier this month, a group of approximately 12 Xbox support employees were laid off from the company. Rather than repl…

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I bought a cheap dlc to see and nope, working fine, you owe me two bucks.

But you can pay it by actually giving more information so people can try to help. what region are you from, what are you trying to buy, etcetera.

OP
OP
MinusTydus

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
I bought a cheap dlc to see and nope, working fine, you owe me two bucks.

But you can pay it by actually giving more information so people can try to help. what region are you from, what are you trying to buy, etcetera.
North America.

Half-Minute Hero (but that's irrelevant, since it affects ALL 360 games and DLC), tried buying Prince of Persia DLC and that's also a no go.

Using the same credit card I've always used. Literally just bought a movie to see if I could buy ANYTHING from Xbox, and yes it worked.

So, Hakim gave me a ticket number. I guess that's some progress.

And he ended the chat with

^_^

Oh, God. This is terrifying. Microsoft, please. No more emojis.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
North America.

Half-Minute Hero (but that's irrelevant, since it affects ALL 360 games and DLC), tried buying Prince of Persia DLC and that's also a no go.

Using the same credit card I've always used. Literally just bought a movie to see if I could buy ANYTHING from Xbox, and yes it worked.

So, Hakim gave me a ticket number. I guess that's some progress.

And he ended the chat with

^_^

Oh, God. This is terrifying. Microsoft, please. No more emojis.
I told you. You are not talking with a Microsoft employee. Sucks, but you are probably talking to someone from r/xboxambassadors

try linking your card to PayPal and paying that way. Would t surprise me if you're getting a 2046 on each purchase attempt but the chat people wouldn't be able to see that info

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Good luck, I've had problems buying 360 games from the web browser as I have no xbox 360 nor xbox one.

OP
OP
MinusTydus

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
I told you. You are not talking with a Microsoft employee. Sucks, but you are probably talking to someone from r/xboxambassadors
Unless Microsoft has started giving account information access to Redditors (wouldn't that would be great fun?), I was talking to a Microsoft employee.

They were able to read back the last four digits of my CC without me prompting them, so I wasn't chatting with Xbox Gamer #267654567654.

At least I have a support ticket. I'll try them again Monday or Tuesday if I haven't heard back.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I cannot buy BC games on the webstore, but I never had issues on the console when buying in my own region. I did have tons of issues when I wanted to buy with foreign credit though. This related to a game that was not available in my region anymore (Enslaved, that is before it got relisted). I'm not sure if this has to do with region-lock on previous consoles.

I personally find more annoying that I never managed to buy BC games on the webstore or claim titles through Games with Gold.

Both the Microsoft Store for BC games and PSN for buying titles that you claimed through PS+ before have some issues that need to be fixed for next gen.

Alive2007

Aug 21, 2019
I have been having this issue as well and after talking to 5 different support agents I was told the reason for the issues with purchasing BC titles is because they are working on merging the 360/One stores..

I begged agent #5 to talk to his supervisors and tell them to stop his coworkers from telling us we can only buy these titles on a 360.. So frustrating lol.

Agent #5 also told me that he was experiencing this issue as well and that there is no fix at the moment but if I find a workaround or something I'll let you know :/