• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 2, 2017
I've been looking into how easy it would be to get HD gamecube, since I no longer own a CRT tv and have no space for one either. My options appear to be a GCHD adapter, or buying a Wii and a cheap HDMI converter? From what I've read, the GCHD adapter is expensive, but worth it in terms of quality, does anyone have first hand experience? Any other options I have?

Jul 1, 2020
None of the GC Video hardware scales. The HDMI output of of the adapter will be 240p, 480i or 480p. You can force unsupported games to run at 480p and/or in widescreen if you use homebrew like Swiss.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I am looking now, and they're saying if I don't plan to use the gameboy player at all, a Wii might be a better option after all? Shame the Wii Dual kit they talk about appears to be OOS.
WiiDual was $115 US and you'd still have to either install it yourself or pay someone to do so. It's also not compatible on all Wii revisions. Back in June Dan said the preorder batch (which shipped in August) would be the last one and he was putting the project on indefinite hold.

You're probably better off getting a Carby for $80 US and using your DOL-001 GCN. I have one and it's great.

CARBY - Insurrection Industries

CARBY is a digital audio/video adapter for your Nintendo GameCube. It will take the digital signal from your GameCube digital port and convert it to a pure digital and audio stream compatible with most modern HD televisions. Please be sure to note the following before purchase as purchases are...

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
WiiDual was $115 US and you'd still have to either install it yourself or pay someone to do so. It's also not compatible on all Wii revisions. Back in June Dan said the preorder batch (which shipped in August) would be the last one and he was putting the project on indefinite hold.

You're probably better off getting a Carby for $80 US and using your DOL-001 GCN. I have one and it's great.

CARBY - Insurrection Industries

CARBY is a digital audio/video adapter for your Nintendo GameCube. It will take the digital signal from your GameCube digital port and convert it to a pure digital and audio stream compatible with most modern HD televisions. Please be sure to note the following before purchase as purchases are...
So that just sticks into the back of the gamecube where the digital port goes and then you use a HDMI cable to connect to your tv? Sounds good to me.

vrietje

Dec 4, 2018
I have a european gamecube with the Digital out. Is there a good solution for that?

donhonk

Oct 30, 2017
All of these adapters use the GCVideo project, which means they should perform the same video wise.

note: I mean GCHD, Carby FYI. Those ones that use the gamecubes digital port. True digital to digital signal. Stuff like the Wii2HDMI is analog to digital and looks worse.