• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The difference is that basically all of that music is still available to purchase and go directly to the artist or content owners. Video games do not have that, the best we have is the used game market, which still doesn't really benefit anyone other than individuals. There is zero difference between used games and piracy for the majority of games

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
My understanding was that YouTube's Content ID system took care of this, giving owners the option to automatically block, monetize, or track content regardless of what channel it's on.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's a raw deal tho. Spotify makes a lot of money off simply existing. The money barely goes to the content creators.

I've found that a lot of people on Era don't care about anything other than "Is it legal?"

They're happy to hand waive away any issues with Spotify paying artists barely anything or rights holders sitting on IP they'll never revive or re-release just because that is the only argument that matters to them

Downloading Lufia 2 is evil, whereas listening to a band for hundreds of hours over a period of years and having the band get $0.13 dollars is 100% fine

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
No, there is no fundamental difference. Both are infringing copyright. I do use youtube to listen to albums I could not normally find, but I'm not defending the practice. In an ideal world artists would be compensated for this via ad revenue.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2018/01/16/streaming-music-services-pay-2018/

To make 1 dollar on Spotify a song has to be played 251 times. That's crazy.

Is there a ratio to what Spotify is paying out compared to how much they are making? I have a feeling they can't be making all that much, as they have millions of artists on there and having to payout to each individual artist for all plays, while only charging 10 dollars a month per user can't be all that sustainable. But I don't know. I couldn't find any information on how much they make and how much they pay out total.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Lets go a step futher op: if i use adblock when i watch someone lets play, it is piracy? I'm enjoying his content without paying, ritgh? What if i listen to the ost with adblock on, who im pirating, the uploader or the original content creator?

But, yeah, i think piracy is more frowned upon games here because we have a lot of devs themselves come here, and also gaming journalist that deal with those devs directly, so its more a or of a gentlemans thing than a moral thing.

Skronk

Nov 22, 2017
Music is better shared. We used to make tape playlists when we were kids, later CDs then later MP3s through MSN.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Is there a ratio to what Spotify is paying out compared to how much they are making? I have a feeling they can't be making all that much, as they have millions of artists on there and having to payout to each individual artist for all plays, while only charging 10 dollars a month per user can't be all that sustainable. But I don't know. I couldn't find any information on how much they make and how much they pay out total.

I don't really know the topoc well enough but there was this thread that's relevant.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/mu...-generated-in-2017-mostly-from-touring.60579/

Music is better shared. We used to make tape playlists when we were kids, later CDs then later MP3s through MSN.

It's no about whether sharing music is good or bad but about how sharing illegal sources of music is seen to be ok but not when it comes to games.

IMO there's no difference.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
I agree that both are pretty similar. I mean, it sure makes the forum administration look weird that they will ban people for just talking about specific piracy sites, but you can post full soundtracks all day long.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if gaming music on youtube is monetized by the game companies, but if they are, that's good for them! It's basically the best way to make money off music these days, since few people want to pay for music anymore, and spotify makes you nothing.

But even if they don't, they're clearly letting the music stay up there, and it's probably because they think it's good advertising for what they actually sell: Games.

So, the fundamental difference is that the copyright owners are not okay with you playing their games for free, but they seem to be okay with letting you listen to the music for free, at least on youtube.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
They're happy to hand waive away any issues with Spotify paying artists barely anything or rights holders sitting on IP they'll never revive or re-release just because that is the only argument that matters to them

If the artists decided they were okay with those low royalties, who am I to say otherwise?

Like, it's a sucky situation, but no one is forcing artists to put their music on Spotify.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
User Banned (3 days): Advocating Piracy
Ost artists have already being paid and the publisher is getting paid from the games sales. Imo there's an ethical difference here. Also 99% we want to listen to music of games we really like so we have already paid for those. I didn't feel bad for example downloading the entire Tropical Freeze soundtrack, a game I own of course.

Selphie

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I guess in the end music is seen to be more of a part of a product, so people don't think that listening to a soundtrack is on the same level as pirating the whole product.