• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
Here I'm looking more for cases where your tastes in gaming have changed, as opposed to instances of a game lacking replay value or being bettered by sequels.

For me, Tales of Symphonia comes to mind. I consider it to be one of my favorite games of all-time, but I have no interest in revisiting it, or the other games in that series. Lengthy JRPGs are just no longer something that I care for.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Two genres I used to love growing up were RTS and Flight sims. I spent many thousands of hours on games like Command & Conquer, Dune, Starcraft, Wing Commander, X-Wing vs Tie Fighter, etc. For whatever reason, these genres don't really appeal to me anymore.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Same as you. Not the game but the general idea and genre.

DQXI was amazing but I cant put in another 80 hours.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
god of war (series)
i loved them as a teen so much that i beat them on almost every difficulty but now as an adult i feel like they just aren't great games.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I used to really enjoy playing Fighting Force with my best friend when we were little.
Wouldn't touch that game single-player, and it's probably aged like poo.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Metal Gear Solid 1-4

I thought those cutscenes and the plot were the coolest things as a teen and now I have absolutely no time for that.

Oct 31, 2017
Finished as much of Lode Runner 3D for N64 as I could before having to return it to Blockbuster Video. I'm not sure whether it's because I had more time as a kid, fewer games to play, or just had an unbiased perception on games but I remember thoroughly enjoying the game.

Looking at the gameplay videos recently, I could honestly say "The fuck was I thinking back then?". Nostalgia is a bitch.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Fighting games/multiplayer FPS in general. I can't be bothered to spend time to get good enough to be competitive anymore, I'd rather just play single player games.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Breath of the Wild.
Incredible game, it has its flaws but I enjoyed it a lot. Would never play it again though and it's part of the reason I'm disappointed the next Zelda is a direct sequel of it.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild. I loved it to death for the first 20 hours, then it got really boring and all the flaws started to grow up to a dramatic point, so I rushed the last shrines and finished it. Never gonna play it again, and if the sequel it's more of the same I'm not gonna buy it. I need my classic dungeons back!

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Love the Final Fantasy games (6-12) but they're just so massive that replaying them now with my limited game time is a rather daunting prospect.

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
GTA games.

I loved Vice City when I was younger, but I didn't like 4 and never bothered with 5.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Oh god yes, tons of 'em.

Basically every RTS. Loved them as a kid, can't stand them now. (The future is turn-based!)

Amnesia The Dark Descent. Great horror game. Had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. But it relies heavily on the player not knowing what's around the corner.

Deus Ex. Loved it. Classic for a reason. But its old as shit now.

Grand Theft Auto series. Loved it as a bloodthirsty kid and a frustrated teenager. As an adult the whole I'm-a-big-bad-gangster-breakn'-all-da-rules-man! fantasy doesn't appeal any more.

Nintendo games in general. Loved 'em as a kid. I still think they're well made, but the gameplay doesn't appeal to me and the aesthetics just look like Fisher Price toys. I'd give BOTW a go though, if it fell out the back of a truck along with a working Switch.

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
Oh, lots.

Growing up I played a lot of online PC games - RTS's, MMO's, competitive online shooters, etc. Now I'm strictly a console guy. Haven't owned a PC in about twelve years, so anything related heavily with PC gaming in general I haven't touched in a long time.

I also play a lot less JRPG's now in general.

CQC

Oct 25, 2017
Guild Wars 2

I fucking love MMOs. The Guild Wars franchise was the first fantasy MMO (yeah the first one isn't technically a MMO) that I played through my entirety of middle and high school. Guild Wars 2 was announced during my junior year of high school and released during sophomore year in college. Played thousands of hours.

Yet will no longer invest time as much as it sucks. Why? Because I don't have the time to commit to the game as much as I'd like. I dislike playing MMOs in a casual sense, I want to raid, PvP for hours, collect achievements, craft legendaries, etc. Working 40 hours a week, socializing as much as I can, strength training (working out), and starting grad school soon is what ultimately made me quit the game back in fall of 2017. Which was shortly after the last expansion was released. I'd always be playing catch up.