• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What team are you?

• Team Wiener Mii

Votes: 731 20.9%
  • Team Chibi Robo on fire

Votes: 2,590 74.2%
  • Team Cenation #HustleLoyaltyRespect

Votes: 170 4.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
My guesses:

-Kirby dated for March
-New casual/joy con focused IP launching spring
-Fire Emblem blow out, coming May/June
-Yoshi coming July
-Octopath April world wide
-Mario Maker unveiled, this Fall
-MP4 teaser. Dated for holiday 2018
-DQ Builders 2 and DQXI this year, published by Nintendo in the West
-Arena of Valor beta starting immediately
-2-3 smallish Japanese 3rd party announcements.
-Tales Switch unveiled. Taiko Drum unveiled in the Japanese Direct
-Castlevania Switch teaser. Early in development
-One major-ish Japanese 3rd party announcement. FF VI remake or something along those lines.
-One high profile western 3rd party port

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I expect a lot of things, but the thing i'm looking foward the most are the crushing realization of some than most of direct games are games alreadly announced, or announcment of games that are either niche, or mostly big in japan. Then we will have those overreaction in threads and youtube videos saying that nintendo lost their way, even when are from the same people that we're defending them of everything their done so far in this past year, without realizing that was the result of not having reselased almost any game in the year prior. We then will have people sayign that nintendo didn't actually changed anything, that they should just go third party, that myamoto is a ridrance, etc...

I have my mug ready:
fanboy-tears-mug-mug.jpg

Realistic speaking, i expect something similar to what arlo predicted.

In the ase i'm wrong, i will give up in buying a used wiiu and save for a new switch instead.

Chea996

Nov 4, 2017
Milan - Italy
Fire Emblem, Kirby, Yoshi and Fe for sure.

I think we will see Dark Souls coming to Switch.

I hope for an Animal Crossing reveal and I expect to see much more.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Teases
-Fire Emblem
-F-Zero Switch
-new IP from Nintendo

Coming Soon
-Yoshi
-Kirby
-Smash Port
-Octopath

Download now
-Mother 3

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Would be nice if they actually announce a new Direct rather sooner than later, while it's also nice to be surprised with just having to wait just 1-2 days after the announcement.

I expect a lot of things, but the thing i'm looking foward the most are the crushing realization of some than most of direct games are games alreadly announced, or announcment of games that are either niche, or mostly big in japan. Then we will have those overreaction in threads and youtube videos saying that nintendo lost their way, even when are from the same people that we're defending them of everything their done so far in this past year, without realizing that was the result of not having reselased almost any game in the year prior. We then will have people sayign that nintendo didn't actually changed anything, that they should just go third party, that myamoto is a ridrance, etc...

I have my mug ready:
fanboy-tears-mug-mug.jpg

In the ase i'm wrong, i will give up in buying a used wiiu and save for a new switch instead.

So much hate and vitriol. Really don't see the need to hope in a bad situation just for the sake of Schadenfreude. Did it really bother you so much that people have been happy with the system so far? I hope you are OK.

Oct 25, 2017
Kirby Star Allies release date
Yoshi name reveal and release date
Mario Party 11
Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes gameplay
Fire Emblem name reveal and gameplay
Wolfenstein II release date
Hollow Knight release date announcement
Tales of Berseria port announcement
Burnout Paradise port announcement
Okami HD port announcement
MELEE HD

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
Fire Emblem, Pikmin 4 and Animal Crossing are the most likely "new" announcements in a January Direct. They must leave some announcements for E3 and I think that Smash Bros. is a better candidate for that. Retro's game could go either way until we know what kind of game it is.

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
I expect that we will see more of:
Project Octopath Traveller
Yoshi
Kirby Star Allies

We should get our first look at Fire Emblem as it will be almost a year after it was announced.

What I think we could see:
Animal Crossing - it has to be coming, hopefully sooner rather than later
Smash Bros. - probably the last chance for a port of Smash 4 to be announced
2 New ips - Nintendo have stated multiple times that they have some new ips up there sleeve for Switch. I could see a minigame/sport collection like 1-2 Switch or Wii Sports and a another ip in the vain of Arms/Splatoon that will be supported throughout the year.
A classic ip returning - With Metroid making a comeback last year, I hope Nintendo will dive into their catalogue and bring back something like F-Zero.
Pikmin 4 - has been mentioned a few times but never shown, I expect it will turn up soon.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
  • Probably
    • Kirby Star Allies
    • Yoshi
    • Fire Emblem
    • Project Octopath Traveler
    • New IP
  • Hopefully
    • Metroid Prime 4
    • Smash
    • Pikmin 4
    • Retro's new game
    • Online service
    • Virtual Console(?)
  • Doubt It
    • Pokémon Gen 8
      • If it's coming next year, it'll be announced in either a Pokémon Direct or a random trailer drop.
    • Bayonetta 3

Coolwhip

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I have my mug ready:
fanboy-tears-mug-mug.jpg

You should just use that mug for yourself.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I expect 1 big Announcement with lots of time spent on Kirby and Yoshi

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The release schedule part of the Supplementary Information about Earnings Release (FY 2017 six months) published October 30, 2017 features these titles:
  • Kirby Star Allies
  • Dragon Quest Builders
  • Yoshi for Nintendo Switch (temp.)
  • Project OCTOPATH TRAVELER (temp.)
  • Pokémon RPG for Nintendo Switch (temp.)
I would expect some information on these at least. Hopefully will new details on Metroid Prime 4 emerge as well.
Not always. Pokémon games often appear in Directs.
TPC doesn't usually reveal mainline games formally in general Directs (if it's a Direct, it's typically a dedicated Pokémon Direct). If we get Gen 8 in 2018, the odds of us learning about it in the January Direct are slim.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
My wishlist:

-Samus Returns Switch
-Metroid Prime Trilogy
-Xenoblade Chronicles/ X Collection
-Bravely Collection
-Fire Emblem Switch
-SMT:IV Remaster(might as well do Nocturne too)
-Soul Calibur HD
-GC Virtual Console

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
My expectation is that they will mostly just lay out their Q1 lineup, with a few surprises. New announcements will be more spread out in 2018 (like E3 and around TGS), 2017s Januars Direct was the system reveal, and it made sense to show most of their 2017 lineup upfront.

Asmar

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to argue for two third party games that I think will be announced:

• Dark Souls
  • GTA5

While I too think GTA5 is coming anytime soon to the switch, I doubt it will be part of a direct, it's just not a rockstar thing to do.

A tweet with a trailer with the release date on their twitter and YouTube channel will do

Then to be heavily marketed by Nintendo.

Super Mario Odyssey DLC scheduled for a Q3 release.

With a galaxy themed kingdom, YES PLEASE.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017

I have my mug ready:
fanboy-tears-mug-mug.jpg

Right now we only know of two confirmed releases in 2018. Yoshi and Kirby. They are going to need to unveil way more than that to keep hype up. They need to tell us what the big 2018 titles are.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What did he predict? I can't watch his video due to bad internet right now :(
Actually, was a general 2018 prediction. For the direct, he expects a mario maker and smash port, date for kirdy, third party/indie stuff and details on virtual console/online. But i believe that the talk about virtual console and online will not occur inside any direct.

Man, this will be a fun thread to comeback one month from now.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
SMT IV HD collection
FE switch revealed with anime tie in
Captain Road 2
Luigi's Mansion 3
Mario Maker Switch

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
3DS:
- Shin Megami Tensei Deep Strange Journey Redux Trailer + release date
- The Alliance Alive Trailer + release date
- Dragon Quest XI trailer?
- Kirby Battle Royale reminder
- Pokèmon Crystal reminder
- Some other spin-off / remake of a minor title.

Switch
- Kirby Star Allies - trailer + release date
- Yoshi - new name + trailer + release date
- Super Mario Odyssey DLC in-depth look (there will be a season pass)
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2 new trailer for the new quest DLC. (available soon after the presentation)
- Mario + Rabbids DLC trailer (available soon after the presentation)
- Octopath Traveler - new name, trailer + release date
- Dragon Quest Builders reminder
- Bayonetta 1-2 reminder
- The Wonderful 101 announcement + release date
- Fe trailer + in-depth look + release date
- Burnout Paradise announcement
- Inazuma Eleven Ares new trailer
- Ace Attorney collection announcement trailer
- Street Fighter collection trailer
- Bandai Namco surprise announcement (at least one of the three games are coming to the switch will be revealed here)
- new Switch update with new features (possibly news on the online service)
- Fire Emblem trailer reveal + in-depth look

No Smash, Retro's New IP, Animal Crossing, Pokémon, Metroid Prime 4.

Last edited:

Tratorn

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully some exclusives for the first half of the year since I'm not interested in Yoshi, Kirby or the Bayonetta remasters.

Octopath for the first half would be a good start.

Tuna

Oct 25, 2017
Totally forgot about Fire Emblem. I think Nintendo wants to try to do the one game per month thing again, so I could see being further along than we think it is. Otherwise, not expecting big holiday 2017 announcements. We'll get Animal Crossing at E3 I think.

Tali'Zorah

Oct 27, 2017
Norfolk, UK
We'll presumably be seeing more of Yoshi and Kirby, and probably something about Pokemon too. I expect we'll get an actual title for Project Octopath Traveller, and maybe a release window too (I'm thinking Summer 2018). I also reckon we'll probably get some kind of trailer for Metroid Prime 4, but I don't think we'll see gameplay until E3. There'll probably be some mention of Fire Emblem. Super Mario Maker feels fairly likely as well, and I think it'll be a brand new version instead of a port of the WiiU release.

Given the success of Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp, Nintendo really should capitalise on that with the announcement of the next mainline Animal Crossing game. I wouldn't expect to see the actual game until late 2018 at the earliest, though.

I've also got a feeling Nintendo will capitalise on the huge success of Breath of the Wild with some re-releases of classic Zelda games. Ports of the Wind Waker and Twilight Princess WiiU releases would make sense, as well as possibly Skyward Sword. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask feel like they might be long shots for re-releases, but they at least might be there.

I'd be more expecting to see Ocarina and Majora as part of the virtual console service I expect them to talk about. What form this will take, what games will be included and when it is available. I have absolutely no idea and there's no real point speculating.

I'm pessimistic about seeing Smash (I think we'll see it at E3) but I think at this point it'll be a new Smash as opposed to a port of the WiiU version. However, wrt ports of WiiU games, I think there's a decent chance of seeing something like DKCTF.

Presumably they'll also be a few brief mentions of the stuff Nintendo has lined up for early 2018, like the Bayonetta 1+2 release. I seriously doubt we'll get anything new on Bayonetta 3, though.

In terms of third party, it's already fairly certain EA will be there with Fe, right? I'm not sure we'll see anything else from EA though. I think it's the perfect time for Bethesda to announce a release date for Wolfenstein, though, and maybe even a release of something like Fallout 4, if this is technically feasible. Other than that I really can't even begin to predict what will happen with third party software, but I feel we'll get a few curve balls at least.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I think it'll focus on Q1 and Q2

- Release date/window for Kirby: Star Allies
- Release date/window for Yoshi
- Release date/window for Fire Emblem
- Release date/window for Octopath
- Bayonetta 1+2 trailer
- Dragon Quest Builders trailer
- Indies!!
- Something new announced and dated for 3DS
- 1 new Switch game announced (Pikmin?)

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
I can see Nintendo using the January direct every year now as an outline for releases up until Christmas, saving E3 for their biggest winter titles and reveals of third party holiday titles.
So I reckon we're going to get announcements for everything to launch in the next 12 months, with focus paid to the first quarter releases and whichever big third party title is coming before E3. I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest Dragon Quest XI will get a release date and attention and whatever Rockstar are porting.
I don't think we'll see Pokemon and MP4 will be the big E3 title.
I do think we'll finally see what Retro are working on but my guess is half the direct will be covered by the online service and the new successor for Virtual Console. I think Wii HD titles will be a big marketing point, with Skyward Sword being next year's Zelda title. I wouldn't be surprised if they announced a new 2D title but this won't get pushed as much. Something to commemorate the 25th anniversary of Link's Awakening and 20th anniversary of Ocarina of Time anyway.

Fingers crossed we'll get the VC anyway.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I'll be surprised if 3ds gets any new announcements. I would expect a smaller direct reserved for it in February ar best.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
You can be extremely excited guys. Just don't blame Nintendo for having the audacity to have a Direct when the game that you wanted isn't announced.

It's okay to be disappointed. But don't go into hyperbole on it.

I'm hoping for Smash. Either 4 Deluxe or something newer. I also hope to see anything from Final Fantasy. Another Resident Evil collection too.

Oh yeah and Fire Emblem Fates Deluxe Edition with the DLC that we for some bizarre reason didnt get.

Oh and Majora's Mask HD please!

Last edited:

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
This was posted on 4chan's /v/ board a few hours ago. I don't know how legitimate this is so take it with a grain of salt.

1514747891384.jpg

1514748130761.jpg

ShadowGP

Oct 27, 2017
If we get one Wii U port in this direct it has to be Captain Toad. It is totally deserve it!

Status
Not open for further replies.