• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
For one of the most popular genres in anime/manga I can't think if a single standout, then again I do not dive too deep into this particular genre to actually have this knowledge. Also most harem tend to fall into the same problems, having a rather dull or dense protagonist, stupid fanservice, tropes on top of tropes, and then at the end there is not resolution and if there is...well it is not the desired one.

I am asking because I recently recalled watching/reading The World God Only Knows a few years back during its peak and I remember enjoying the hell out of it especially because the story structure was different from what I am used to...sadly the ending I could have lived with out.

What say you Era? Is this genre simply not worth your time?

MV5BNjIxZTc3ZWEtZjk5ZS00Nzg2LTkyYmUtZjQ0NzUxZTNmODVhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzgxODM4NjM@._V1_UY1200_CR85,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
Everyone told me Re:Zero and Shield Hero would be good and well.

They sure were shows.

I like Clannad quite a bit but the art hasn't aged well and the writing can come off as too tryhard. Not in the edgy way but in the they really want to make you feel sad way.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I cant really recommend any because most of them dont have a proper ending and I dont recommend shows without an ending. Yes I dont recommend a lot of things.

Talking only anime of course. I dont read manga.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
I thought Oresuki was good. It was a harem type show but at the same time a critique on it.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, The World God Only Knows . I enjoyed that series overall. The ending definitely had that 'this series is cancelled so everything needs to be wrapped up ASAP' feel to it.

My Bride is a Mermaid is a fun watch. It doesn't try for a deep story, but the gags are funny and it doesn't have much stupid fanservice.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I just finished reading "Actually, I am..." and was really satisfied with it all, but yeah, it also suffers from the problems you suggest.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I'm sure there are problems with it due to era alone, but I will always like Ranma 1/2. That probably predates the naming of the genre (I think maybe it started with Tenchi?), same with Urusei Yatsura.

JoDa

Jan 12, 2018
Depends on what you'd describe as a harem, like is a legitimate mess of rivals with one male mc? If so I don't think there's any that's is legitimately "good", you could go for something that has a harem energy without actually being one, like bunny girl senpai or, to a more degenerate degree, the monogatari series.
Another one could be oregairu tho that one is more of a love triangle than a harem.

The only traditional one I could recommend would be the quintuplets harem, tho i might be biased since my favorite girl won that one lol.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
Love triangles are one of my biggest banes in fiction and harems just multiply that. I can imagine loving one unless it was full on parody.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Tenchi Universe + the movies (Tenchi in Love, Tenchi Forever) is pretty legit. It also really gets close to actually having Tenchi end up with someone and writing the women as people instead of fan-service props.
Mini_TmiL2.jpg

It's telling that it was directed by a different person than a lot of the other Tenchi shows and comics.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Golden Boy is the only one I can think of. The rest are pandering garbage, from the little I've seen since I don't seek it out.

Also, I legitimately enjoy School Days for its deranged subversion of the genre.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Ouran Host Club or Wallflower. Both are hilarious.

Reverse harem but clearly superior.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ranma 1/2?

Actually I Am.../My Monster Secret gets away with it because the male protagonist actually only likes the one girl but a bunch of other girls like him. So it has harem elements but isn't bogged down with "ooo which one will he choose" and is actually funny.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Period. I can't at this genre existing. I even hate to the gods that Tenchi Muyo was one of my faves until I grew up. I still love it close to my heart but I touch nothing harem.

Should be moderated in general. Sickening especially given how young anime girls are often portrayed. Also surprised that Hentai hasn't been banned yet.

Parshias

Oct 25, 2017
Pseudo Harem for sure, though it is pretty much cheating because the 'harem' is just the female lead acting like a bunch of different characters since she's in the drama club and the male lead is in on it the entire time and it isn't taken seriously.

NazoNazoXLR

Dec 20, 2019
I find the hit/failure ratio is slightly higher when it's a harem with a female lead, but not THAT much higher. It is still usually some of the most basic wish fulfillment hogwash.

I think it's probably a problem with the formula. The format has evolved in the way that you want to tease the idea of the protagonist and any given number of their romantic choices, which usually means the story is stuck spinning it's wheels even with the best execution. I blame dating sims!

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
You're gonna have to look back about 30 years to the proto-harem era.

Oh My Goddess/Aa! Megami-sama had a guy living with three goddesses of Norse mythology. It was quite wholesome.

Ranma 1/2 was a martial arts comedy with a guy engaged to three women by his dad, for various reasons of his own benefit, and he doesn't really want anything to do with any of them. Oh, and he turns into a girl when doused with cold water because he fell into a cursed spring his dad brought him to train at.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Why it's School Days of course. It's a rite of passage, make it through the horror and you become enlightened.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Tenchi Universe + the movies (Tenchi in Love, Tenchi Forever) is pretty legit. It also really gets close to actually having Tenchi end up with someone and writing the women as people instead of fan-service props.
Mini_TmiL2.jpg

It's telling that it was directed by a different person than a lot of the other Tenchi shows and comics.

Talking about Tenchi... is it ever revealed who he actually gets with? Its been so long since I read or watched any of it.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
My Life as a Villainess is sweet, cute, and overall a well made series.

Just be aware currently still airing though from this season.
23b152092fc69822801679a70eaeb3e21fd8fd45.gifv

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Fruits Basket, Ouran host club, My Next Life as a Villainess are probably the safest bet here.

Heysoos

Prophet of Truth
Nov 3, 2017
Mother's Basement just put out a pretty good video about one, actually!

I had foolishly ignored this show until last Saturday when I had a day off from work. Saw the first episode while waiting for Ascendance of a Bookworm. And yep, ended up binge watching the whole series up to the latest episode. This is the one.