• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking about this while playing Elden Ring earlier. I don't think that I can muster up a fail-state/game over message from another game that can match the thematic relevance, simplicity, and memeworthiness of FromSoft's "You Died" message up death in many of their games. It's the epitome of beauty in simplicity. On the face of things it appears almost comically direct: a plainly stated declaration of your death in the game. You died. That's it.

It's a message that most players will see countless times over the course of a playthrough of any of several FromSoft games to the point where they probably don't even register it. But I think it really is arguably the most iconic death message in gaming, especially after all of the titles that FromSoft has put out over the years that utilize it.

imrs.php

So what say you, ERA? Are there any other fail-state messages in games that can match it or even exceed it? One comes to mind that at least deserves a runner-up spot for me...

maxresdefault.jpg

Also iconic. Millions of people from around the world can see that red "wasted" message in that font even in isolation and know exactly what game series it's from.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
The GTA Wasted is so far beyond the "You Died" in terms of being iconic it isn't even funny. It transcends video games.

Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil was telling people they died when Miyazaki was still in diapers.

(that is probably not true but i don't know how old he is!)

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
We know we must be frequently reminded that From titles are the best at everything, but here unfortunately GTA "Wasted" got the upper hand.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Not a fail state but

You must gather your party before venturing forth
You must gather your party before venturing forth

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Wasted is definitely the most iconic. You Died is big but I think even Metal Gear Solid has it beat. After that, yeah probably Dark Souls.