• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i remember back in high school my out of shape ass just couldnt do it and so id just chill during the second half of class and even tho i actually put in work during the first half id stiill often lose all my partiicipation points for the day. what is that kind of shit? pe should be treated more like recess where the kids can just chill and have some fun rather treating it like another grade they have to worry about. i think the only time i enjoyed pe is when we had the option of doing weight lifting because it was alot more easier to just go at your own pace and create your own routine than deal with whatever the teacher wanted you to do that day.

fuck the mile btw.

Last edited:

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
You know you could've just taken weight lifting as a replacement instead of PE, right? I knew plenty of people who did that instead.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
You know you could've just taken weight lifting as a replacement instead of PE, right? I knew plenty of people who did that instead.
not every school had a weights room lol

i attended three high schools and only one had one available to students outside of the athletic teams

it also has a culinary class, that was neat

ignata

Dec 26, 2017
Denver
I think everyone's PE experience was different. Mine was more activities and games rather than sports. No locker rooms no climbing ropes or running miles. This would've been 80s/90s.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I was so disruptive, annoying, and lazy during PE they finally made a deal where I could just walk around the field and do laps for the whole period talking to friends about video games and I'd get a D. Was awesome.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
I think everyone's PE experience was different. Mine was more activities and games rather than sports. No locker rooms no climbing ropes or running miles. This would've been 80s/90s.
ours was a mixture. they got us to play tag football, baseball, basketball, volleyball, like we did the usual run track. we did have a theatre room or a second gymnastic room where they had ropes but we didn't really do that.

Divorced Dad

Banned
Feb 16, 2021
i remember back in high school my out of shape ass just couldnt do it and so id just chill during the second half of class and even tho i actually put in work during the first half id stiill often lose all my partiicipation points for the day. wtf is that kind of shit? pe should be treated more like recess where the kids can just chill and have some fun rather treating it like another grade they have to worry about. i think the only time i enjoyed pe is when we had the option of doing weight lifting because it was alot more easier to just go at your own pace and create your own routine than deal with whatever the teacher wanted you to do that day.

fuck the mile btw.

why not just do what the teacher asked you to do? Just because you don't see the value in gym class doesn't mean you can just skip it

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I'll counter with the "opposite" of PE: Art. I got a D in art when I was in high school and an A in PE. I put so much fucking effort in art class too, but guess what, some people just cannot become artistic. It doesn't work that way. Same goes for athletics. Both should graded 100% on attendance and participation.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
OP it kinda sounds like you had a bad teacher problem more than a "PE is useless" problem. PE at my school was easy to get a good grade in as long as you put in any effort whatsoever. The only kids who did poorly were the ones who were intentionally being difficult for no reason.

Oct 31, 2017
In 9th grade I was closeted and my brother was a praised football player in our HS so I tried football

Worst mistake of my life

And when the season was over we had to start coming to school to practice at fucking 5:50 AM. I largely stopped showing up. The coach gave me a pity C. I think he got arrested for something tho. Should've given me an A

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Funny personal story about PE/athletics. I attended community college and was 1 athletic credit short of my associates degree from graduating before I transferred to a 4 year university. After graduating university, I visited my old community college years later, spoke with an academic advisor, and learned they dropped the athletic requirement for the associates degree. Long story short, the academic advisor asked if I wanted to walk for graduation or have my diploma mailed to me. I took the latter.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
This is like saying you could have just taken diving classes instead.
OP says that they only enjoyed PE when it came to weight lifting, so switching to the class all about weight lifting would've made sense to me. Pretty much any school with a sports team has that as an option instead of regular Phys Ed.

OP
OP
nsilvias

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
OP it kinda sounds like you had a bad teacher problem more than a "PE is useless" problem. PE at my school was easy to get a good grade in as long as you put in any effort whatsoever. The only kids who did poorly were the ones who were intentionally being difficult for no reason.
pe isnt useless. the giving a grade for it part is

jml

Mar 9, 2018
OP says that they only enjoyed PE when it came to weight lifting, so switching to the class all about weight lifting would've made sense to me. Pretty much any school with a sports team has that as an option instead of regular Phys Ed.
My school had sports teams and a weight room and did not have that option

Mar 18, 2020
It's kind of a shame PE is so half ass in the US. Considering my current health it would have been nice to have a structured exercise time at an earlier age👨🏽‍🦳

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Same here. I think I may have climbed one rope and it was a part of a national program that you would do for a couple of days or something. Otherwise, it was playing games, learning a few things about being healthy and doing that parachute thing that everyone loved.

7nzjka9olt711.jpg

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
My HS PE teacher gave everyone the same grade as long as you weren't completely horrible and tried. Since nutrition and sex ed was a part of it and had written tests that's where he graded people. Plenty of unathletic people got a good grade while meatheads who were athletic but didn't take the other portion of the class seriously got 70-something. It was kinda funny.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018

We had sports teams and didn't have that option. Not that I would have taken it haha.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
One of my older neighbors when I was a kid was set to be valedictorian but for a less than perfect time he put in on the mile run. His mother went straight to the principal and chewed him out because he was also an asthmatic. He was valedictorian.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I loved gym. Was my favorite day of the week. Loved getting energy out.

But now I think it's so gross how none of us showered after gym class. So we'd go back to whatever class we had next stinking most likely.

We never had to do "the mile" or any stuff I've seen from gym class in movies or whatever. It was like.. Mat ball, capture the flag, basketball, hanging around. I took it pretty seriously and loved it. I'd love to get together with like 40 people and play mat ball again. Once i was hanging out at this college at like I dunno 8 or 9 at night, in a field, and a truck pulls up and these level 5 bros jump out of it and scream "mat ball!" And they hauled 4 mattresses out of the bed of the truck, set it up around a diamond and then dozens of people showed up made teams and it was one of the most fun times I've ever had.

My school definitely did not have that and I figure most probably don't. We had sports teams but poor ass public schools like mine didn't have weight rooms in the 90s. We didn't have enough books let alone weights.

Last edited:

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
You dont have to play hard at gym, you just have to at least try. Can't really get marks if you're just sitting. A lot of it is also personal growth throughout the year. It's the easiest GPA booster ever and a complete relief for most people to have their gym credit carry them.

I find teachers are also pretty reasonable when it comes to finding alternative sports if you're really anxious about something like playing with the pro athlete classmates.

I sucked at sports, but I still managed a 90 somehow even though I minded to myself.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
My graded high school PE class was pretty intense when it came to graded requirements. Even when we did lifetime sports, your grade would, for instance, be based on your bowling score. The gymnastics requirements were the toughest part, but I did end high school able to do cool shit like kip ups or a walkover.

ignata

Dec 26, 2017
Denver
I remember playing a lot of badminton

Yeah that was one of the more active activities we had.

Same here. I think I may have climbed one rope and it was a part of a national program that you would do for a couple of days or something. Otherwise, it was playing games, learning a few things about being healthy and doing that parachute thing that everyone loved.

7nzjka9olt711.jpg

The parachute was the absolute bestest thing.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure the only reason people weren't getting an A in PE during high school was because they didn't do well on the pathetically easy tests. You only really had to show up.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
The PE teacher for the girls actually had handwritten and physical tests where you would get grades on your aptitude of the sport they were coving or your mile time. The boys teachers gave us an A if we showed any effort at all.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Religious Education, can't say anyone took it that seriously, nor the priest or really, just so outgoing and you basically got told the answers for any test but I guess the point wasn't a matter of skill or knowledge to be scored on.

Home Economics, thinking about it now I wish there was more to it and general life skills as a more broad teaching class. There was cooking and stuff which was fine but can't remember much other than taking some food home in a Tupperware box.

Sep 15, 2020
Skipped that nonsense in junior year when we were allowed to attend community college for HS credits as long as you passed the admittance exam (not that hard).

To earn your credit at the CC, you just had to clock in with your student ID and clock out with 30 min. minimum spent at the fitness center. I forgot the minimum number of hours required and there might have been an in-person class or quiz every week but that was it.

No requirement on which activities you needed to do. Could walk on the treadmill for your whole session or do a full run of everything.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
In my school for gym class we were put into pre-selected teams and forced to choreograph (most people just ripped from a music video, but they didn't care) and perform a dance once a year. Was my most hated part of every year.