• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is there a need to go even further beyond?

• Nah. 4k will be THE Rez for a long time.

Votes: 677 56.6%
  • Yah. 4k is not enough for me. I want 20k. I want 50k.

Votes: 332 27.8%
  • I want VEXK resolution.

Votes: 44 3.7%
  • I think I'll stick with 1080p....

Votes: 197 16.5%

• Total voters

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
What do y'all think?

I mean like yah 4k looks nice... Over 1080p...

But 4k and 8k barely look any different considering the horsepower needed to run 8k stuff. Monitors aren't going to get any bigger. Not like they need to. So the higher resolutions will be lost at some point yah? Diminishing returns and all that yah?

Im not really good at stuff like this but you guys get me yah?

YAH?

Last edited:

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere far down the road they'll market 8k to get us to buy new tv's.

But for now 4k is still just taking off.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
For me at least, not really. I already find over 1440p to start having diminishing returns. There's a notable difference when jumping to 4k, but its something you adjust to way quicker then previous resolution jumps. If we can do it, then sure, why not. I'd rather that power go to foliage and the like.

Now for large tvs and VR, that's a different situation.

Last edited:

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
For TVs and phones? Not for me

But for TV and phones so it can come to VR? Oh yah sure its totally necessary make 16K TVs already

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
8K and 4K look barely different? What? Of course there's a need to go higher than 4K. Maybe not now but definitely in the future.

Oct 27, 2017
Sure there is if screens are getting bigger. Also render resolution at 4k still leave a lot to be desired with draw distances. 8k or 16k for backgrounds will show improvements.

Overall though 4k is nice. I am more concerned about rendering than pixels once we get to 4k levels IMO. Best example and come up is if you look at a movie that's in 4K versus a game that's in 4K the movies going to look absolutely better because it's basically not constrained by any resolution from which it was drawn.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
People have been asking this question for years and the answer, so far, continues to be yes.

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
They will have to come up with new stuff to replace the now exsisting HDR, OLED etc. So maybe not the resolution, but other improvements will or might be implented.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think we're nearly at the point where movies, television and streaming are about to pass gaming technology in terms of resolution. Gaming technology already struggles, mightily, at 4k gaming. PC gaming in 4k is ridonkulously expensive. 8k isn't that far away, and the requirements for that are going to be enormous. I think gaming is going to lag years behind, or use lots of smoke and mirrors to appear 8k.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is gonna be a lot of back on forth over meaningless shit. But it's basically a matter of distance / size.

For my living room I'm not willing to go higher than 55" for aesthetic reasons and at my seating distance I will never need higher than 4K, which is already stretching it.

Dankir

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
HDR is a bigger deal for me than 4K. I want to see where we go from HDR10+ / Dolby Vision.

Games in 4k HDR are spectacular, 4k blu Ray's in Dolby Vision are incredible as well.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It'll be noticeable in huge movie theater sized projectors and in VR, but beyond that the benefits will be pretty imperceptible

sugarless

Nov 2, 2017
Better resolution will always be better in the abstract but right now, most people are probably pushing the necessity of 4K depending on their living room setup in terms of TV size vs viewing distance. I don't think 8K will really be needed for a while, nor do I think devs are ready to start prepping assets that size for it.

Cutebrute

Nov 8, 2017
Arkansas
Some films are shot at a resolution equivalent to 6k and 8k, so we will be asked to upgrade at some point or another. But 4k will be the standard for a long time - streaming services, television, and games will have a ways to go before they can justify going beyond 4k to mainstream audiences.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
4K already feels unnecessary. Do y'all glue yourselves to TVs and monitors or what?

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes the higher the better for VR.

Standard TV is pretty much good at 4K similar to the MP3 argument ie it can be better, but it's appreciably the same for most people.

In the future if we figure out where to go after we hit 5nm and just have crazy power to spare for 8k and beyond why the fuck not?

It's not pressing or anything for standard displays though.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Considering most games aren't coming anywhere close, I think it's a safe bet it'll be the target for a while.

But then, that's thinking like a normal person. Hardware makers and developers were already touting 4K when the vast majority of them hadn't even hit 1080p yet, so who am I kidding?

TV manufacturers are doing the same thing with 8K. Most theatrical releases are still being mastered at 2K, much less 4K. It's all about marketing rather than reality.

Sapo84

Oct 31, 2017
I honestly don't see much difference from a good 70mm and 4k projection from normal viewing distance (70mm should be sharper).
I would honestly prefer higher frame rates to another increase in resolution, and regarding games there are a thousands things that are more important than resolution: details of models, lightning, reflections, effects, textures etc etc.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't even feel the need for 4K on gaming consoles. It's already hard to tell when something is 4K or just upscaled or anti-aliased well sitting 8 feet away from a 60" TV.
Even when games are 4K, it all looks like a mess when turning/scrolling anyway due to the 30 fps games usually run at on consoles.
We should get better performance at 4K before looking beyond that. Higher resolution gives minimal gain at this point.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely, resolving graphics in higher resolutions will always be beneficial to the material, but the returns will dimish based on the size of the screen, sitting distance and the vision of the viewer.

But in reality all of this is limited by whatever hardware will drive the output and games will probably be stuck in 4K land for the next 10 years since the big improvements will not come from increasing the resolution further, the next step for games is increasing rendering accuracy by utilizing technology like real-time ray-tracing to move away from prebaked game worlds.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I often wonder about this. Like for example, what "K" is human vision? Once televisions reach that, then there is no going higher since we can't see higher than our own vision lol

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
For TVs? Not for a while
For monitors? Not sure
For VR? We definitely need to go higher especially once eye tracking arrives in consumer headsets

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I often wonder about this. Like for example, what "K" is human vision? Once televisions reach that, then there is no going higher since we can't see higher than our own vision lol
Look at how much detail is gained here just at 6880x288, we're far from reaching any sorts of limits.

Screwing around in the RE2 demo a bit more with my CE table + ReShade for DoF

AFb2uH.png

AFbAA1.png

AFbWQc.png

AFaWV9.jpg

Will have so much more fun with the final game :)

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Yes there is. For downsampling. Or just for crazy sharp screens. Especially computer monitors.

But yeah, it's always the same: Useless until it hits mainstream.
People said 720p was enough.
Then 1080p was enough.
Then 4k was enough.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you even need more than 1440p.

I'd take 1440p downsampled to 1080p over native 4K any day.

That's why I am glad that Ace Combat 7 didn't go for 4K on the Pro/X and instead focused on 60fps.

Zexen

Oct 27, 2017
Tbh, it vastly depends on the PPI your eyes are able to see and the distance you are from the screen.

wikitoups

Oct 31, 2017
Can I get a $200-300 4K tv (let's say 32-40 inch) that have decent game console options? Cause this is the price point for a lot of people, and it's usually Walmart tier TVs.

Enrico25

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
There wasn't even a need for 4K. 1080p is perfectly fine.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
I feel like 1080 is still good enough for me. I always dial it back to 1080 cuz I don't see much difference

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No reason at all to go beyond 4K, virtually ever, outside of VR. 99% of people would never benefit from it. Higher framerates, better animations, better AI, more things on screen, better effects, etc.. etc.. all make infinitely more sense than going beyond 4K any time soon.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think eventually 8k will be the standard but it's going to take like 20+ years for it to be at all the norm. 4k will eventually be the cable standard and that will stick for at least 20 years.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
For real time 3D rendered graphics you could probably even make the argument for 16K on a large screen. 8K already looks phenomenal on my 55 inch. Cleans up any image quality deficiencies. At 4k you still need a good AA solution for the image to look good.