• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is there a need to go even further beyond?

• Nah. 4k will be THE Rez for a long time.

Votes: 677 56.6%
  • Yah. 4k is not enough for me. I want 20k. I want 50k.

Votes: 332 27.8%
  • I want VEXK resolution.

Votes: 44 3.7%
  • I think I'll stick with 1080p....

Votes: 197 16.5%

• Total voters

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
Yup. We're talking about the same TV. 8K is a noticeable difference especially at the 75/85" range. Its just super expensive but the image it was putting out made me feel like I was actually in front of what was on the screen.

That's tech for ya. Always something new.
Yes, for me it was like having a brief look in to the future. After that my logical mind took over knowing it will take many years for that image quality to be available on a TV-signal.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure how you could look at any game rendered in 8K and not see it as a big improvement in image quality over 4K.
If TAA is being used, the image looks quite a bit sharper too.

With that said, I don't think the performance cost is remotely worth it. Even native 4K is a waste of resources with current GPU hardware.
Motion resolution is lagging far behind static resolution. Games need to stop targeting 30 FPS.
HDMI 2.1 brings 120Hz variable refresh rate support, so games should start to target 120 FPS next-gen instead of chasing after higher and higher static resolutions. That would be a far bigger leap than even going to 8K native.

I think colour depth, frame rate and image compression are more important past 4k.
You have to remember that most films are at best finished and delivered to the cinema in 4K. If an image looks good on a cinema screen, theres limited argument for needing more on even a 100" screen.
I barely see a difference between 2K and 4K projection at a big-ass movie theater. Gaming at 4K with ever-increasingly-improving TAA is beyond good enough.
Projection is considerably softer and lower contrast than a direct-view display; even single-chip DLP projectors, so resolution tends to be far less noticeable with them despite the large image size.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
There's literally no point. 4k is the MP3 of resolution.
Uh this doesn't work because mp3 bitrate can vary. Those 128kbps mp3s everyone downloaded on Napster 20 years ago sound like ass compared to a 320kbps mp3, FLAC, or WAV.

A more accurate comparison would be "resolution is the bitrate of video". The higher you go, the less perceptible the improvement.

But yeah, I can't even tell enough of a difference between 1080p and 4k on my 55" tv to care. I go with framerate when given the option, like in God of War.

Last edited:

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
16K with good AA downsampled to 8K or 4K is when I'll say "enough".
You'd have to be blind to not be able to see a huge difference in motion between even 1080p and 4K downsampled to 1080p.

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly can't tell the difference between a 1080p and 4K image on my TV from a 2m distance. Unless I get a 75 inch TV or something I don't think 8K is worth it.