• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is there a need to go even further beyond?

• Nah. 4k will be THE Rez for a long time.

Votes: 677 56.6%
  • Yah. 4k is not enough for me. I want 20k. I want 50k.

Votes: 332 27.8%
  • I want VEXK resolution.

Votes: 44 3.7%
  • I think I'll stick with 1080p....

Votes: 197 16.5%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Mainstream gaming hasn't even hit 4K yet with a few outliers as exceptions.

Unless a mainstream audience suddenly has room in their homes and budgets for 80" screens as the norm, the "need" for 8K is a long way off.

That doesn't mean nobody should be working on it but right now it would be a huge waste of computing power even for the most expensive GPUs.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
If a 8k tv comes out, I'm buying it and I'm going to want the most out of my TV. It's why the X became my main console. I'm always going to roll with the system that will utilize every bit of resolution on my TV, natively.

This sounds like a mid gen update issue though.

Kizuna

Oct 27, 2017
For regular gamers using a normal TV? Probably not.
But TV manufacturers will probably manage to sell most of us on new! better! smoother! screens anyway, give it a couple of years.

VR is an entirely different beast in that regard though.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, when you're talking 55" TVs, sure 8K might be overkill depending on view distance. But 8K is going to make those 88"+ TVs look so unbelievable.

Also, 8K will improve depth of image and potentially allow for glasses free 3D or at least a 3D effect

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
For certain size screens yeah there isn't much need to go higher. But for larger TVs then closer distances there will be a place for 8k

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, when you're talking 55" TVs, sure 8K might be overkill depending on view distance. But 8K is going to make those 88"+ TVs look so unbelievable.

Also, 8K will improve depth of image and potentially allow for glasses free 3D or at least a 3D effect

For most of the world, People don't live in big enough homes that are suitable to fit an 88 inch TV.

Roukira

Dec 1, 2018
France, Paris
I'd actually be interested to know what are the estimates of which resolution we should be aiming for at last (if there's any). I know that VR require much higher resolution right now.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
In honor of James Cameron/south park, why not? lol let's 'raise the bar' always.

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a need on the consumer side? Absolutely not. 4k is FAR more detailed than the average viewer cares about. No important detail had trouble getting conveyed thanks to tv blurriness.

Is there a need on the seller side to always have a new gimmick so you feel the need to rebuy all your tvs every 4 years? Absolutely. CRT to 720p to 1080p to 3DTV (remember that?) to 4k to whatever the next gimmick is. Could be 8k. Could be bendability. Could be something entirely new. But the next gimmick is absolutely coming and not because consumers need it.

Commodore64

Oct 25, 2017
More is always better but I can see 4k being the standard with higher framerates if VR remains relevant.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
There will be a need to go higher when display manufacturers need another gimmick to goose sales.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
There will be a need to go higher when display manufacturers need another gimmick to goose sales.

It worked so far because TV got larger and consumers can still see the difference from 2K to 4K but most homes are only big enough for maybe a 50 to 60 inch TV (Some will require a much much smaller TV). Manufacturers have to think of some other stuffs than an increase in Res in 5 plus years times since for you can't really see the difference for the same TV size.

DammitLloyd

Oct 25, 2017
It's necessary so Nvidia/AMD have the motivation to push their gpu performance even more. Then I can stay at 4k and enjoy high frame rates max settings when they can do 8k30

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I still think 4K is kinda unneeded with the current fidelity of games, I'd be all for 1440p if it was a clean factor of 1080p.

I won't be going 4K until we can do 4K 60fps with raytracing...

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
It worked so far because TV got larger and consumers can still see the difference from 2K to 4K but most homes are only big enough for maybe a 50 to 60 inch TV (Some will require a much much smaller TV). Manufacturers have to think of some other stuffs than an increase in Res in 5 plus years times since for you can't really see the difference for the same TV size.
I have a 60" TV and most of the stuff we watch is 720p or less. But then we're all a bunch of luddites anyway. :-)

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Okay let's burn most the cycles rendering at 4k so everything is super duper sharp... just how we like it. Then choo choo here comes the effects train.

How bout some fxaa to soften those edges. Dof to blur that backround out. Lens flare and bokeh to blur the foreground. Ca and vingette to blow out the edges there. Here ya go baby motion blur to blur everyhing that moves! Then some film grain so you know nothing is too sharp... just how we like it.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
For me even 4k is completely unnecessary and a waste of resources, the next gen will be less interesting thanks to the resolution pursue instead of stick on 1080p and push on technical aspects and AI behavior.

Probably 1440p is the sweet spot in term of definition with a monitor, ppl want 4k only cause they are stuck with a 4k tv that lack of definition at anything under the panel resolution. Stick with a good 1080p tv is still the best choice on consoles.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
4k is already pointless if you have to play at 60 Hz imo.

Until 144 Hz monitors become affordable, 1440 is the sweet spot.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Yes there is. For downsampling. Or just for crazy sharp screens. Especially computer monitors.

But yeah, it's always the same: Useless until it hits mainstream.
People said 720p was enough.
Then 1080p was enough.
Then 4k was enough.
No one said 720p is enough. The difference now is 4K is at the point where you wouldn't see the benefit anything higher at the screen sizes that home has. And that's the truth. 8k would be awesome on a projection screen.

Oct 25, 2017
For regular stuff, no. Unless you're sitting like 2 feet away from your ridiculously huge TV, or have a 100+ inch dispay, it really will not be noticeable and would be a massive waste of rendering resources as well for games. But 8k will get pushed on us eventually for folks looking to have the latest other features on TVs.

For VR, higher resolutions will come in handy. Not sure when we reach the point of (does not look any better) res wise in that, maybe 8k per eye or something, but headsets are also playing around with different FOVs so they may require custom higher resolutions that even that possibly so that everything looks good.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
No one said 720p is enough. The difference now is 4K is at the point where you wouldn't see the benefit anything higher at the screen sizes that home has. And that's the truth. 8k would be awesome on a projection screen.

Yes, people used to say 720p was enough.
And getting a picture 4 times more defined is noticeable.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
For larger TV's maybe, right now 4K looks fine on a 55 inch to me. When running games at 4K and 8k on my 27inch 4K screen I could not tell the difference. But if you zoom in on both 4K and 8K screens, you can pick up the extra detail that an 8K display would provide. I think for gaming higher resolution will always be better, especially for VR, as the screen is right next to your eyes.

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if we'll move away from fixed pixel displays at some point.

Then the whole thing can start again when we count how many photon waves or whatever a display has.

Until then, more pixels please.

pestul

Oct 25, 2017
When Fahrenheit 451 Wall TVs are the norm.. maybe. It really isn't necessary today. I mean just look at the justifications for 8k in this thread. They're very niche (but I guess the same could be said for 4K and they went there anyway). I think they will go there just because they have to sell something new tbh.