• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
So it really is quite difficult to produce and deliver with them, but I think SIE have mastered it at this point.

Are there any other publishers or studios who have impressed you in the same way with the quality of the cutscenes?

OP has never played a Blizzard game, confirmed.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Capcom are great at cutscenes as well.

Resident Evil 5 had some great directed and animated cutscenes. Especially those fight scenes with Wesker, so hype.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
OP is talking about a publisher (SIE) most of the people are replying with different studios...

and CGI trailers mostly outsourced anyway....

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
hqdefault.jpg

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I played Yakuza 0 for the first time this year and I was blown away by the quality of the cutscenes. The cinematography, facial animation, acting were all incredible even though Yakuza is relatively a B-franchise compared to the budgets a lot of other AAA titles get.

OP
OP
SilverX

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Oh yeah, and I really wasn't talking about those bombastic CGI scenes and trailers. I'm talking about the cutscenes that make up most the game. I think people read the topic title and just replied without knowing that this all about the elements that are needed to make topnotch cutscenes which SIE really know to include in there games.

And yes, there are studios like The Coalition and Capcom that produce visually impressive cutscenes but I can't really say the interaction between the characters or the general writing have ever made me see it as anything more than a video game cutscene.

I loved Horizon but I don't remember the quality of the cutscenes being anything that great. Especially in comparison to the other titles mentioned.

I disagree with that, the intro scenes showing Aloy grow up, the introduction of the Sabretooth, and the ending scene were full of atmosphere and were so nicely done. And that is just off the top of my head.

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Luigi mansion 3 has beautiful cutscenes I only wish Nintendo did more of them it's like watching a cartoon and playing a game

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Sony > Rockstar > Everybody else.

I don't count Blizzard because that shit ain't real time, and how much is outsourced?

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
The industry is full of studios filled with incredible talented and well funded animation teams to the point that it's ridiculous to declare one publisher as the top tier when it comes to cinematics. 👏

This is my take as well. These conversations are always presented in such absolutist terms. Talk about relative merits of games, developers, and platforms by all means, but framing everything in the context of "greatest of all time" or "game of the year" or "why isn't every game just made by From Software" is such a reductionist and boring way of talking about content, and frankly barely a step removed from console warring to me.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
This is my take as well. These conversations are always presented in such absolutist terms. Talk about relative merits of games, developers, and platforms by all means, but framing everything in the context of "greatest of all time" or "game of the year" or "why isn't every game just made by From Software" is such a reductionist and boring way of talking about content, and frankly barely a step removed from console warring to me.
Amen.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's Blizzard. Blizzard intros and trailers are the stuff of legends. I'm not happy with them, but credit where it's due.

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
Sony games definitely do in-game cinematics better than anyone.

People are saying Rockstar, but I would put them at a very distant second. I usually just skip it so I can just start the mission already.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They only have Death Stranding, I believe the deal was that Kojima Productions are still a third party but Death Stranding is a console exclusive franchise.

Sure but even if Death Stranding was all they got from Kojima it's still better than any other developer when it comes to cutscenes.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
If there has to be a best I would say it's Rockstar.

Max Payne 3 had some really impressive cutscenes for a last-gen game. Seamless loading alongside really cool segues into action.

GTA V did a really good job too, I think. There would be elements of a cutscene playing out in gameplay before the cutscene started, like a conversation happening outside of a house before your character interjects. The cutscenes could also differ based on which character you were entering it.

I'm not sure I would say RDR2 does a better job than GTA V, but it carries forward a lot of those elements.

Dhoom

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I can't take this seriously. They're simplistic imo. BotW is cringe inducing, to point it becomes comedy, and Mario Odyssey is no better. They're unremarkable but passable. Can't comment on the other game you mentioned.
Monolith Soft makes fantastic cutscenes for Xenoblade that were way better than they had any right to be. Sony's cutscenes aren't on that level, they're too movie like and not video game like, immersion breaking at its finest.

Oct 26, 2017
There is no such thing as "publishers doing good cutscenes", it's all on the devs and not only Sony got developers capable of making good cutscenes.

Literally any publisher out there owns studios that can deliver good looking cutscenes, even indipendent ones.

Last edited:

Corralx

Aug 23, 2018
London, UK
Blizzard and is not even close.

But even then, there's no such thing as Sony doing cutscenes.
Each team has its own department doing cutscenes.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
Monolith Soft makes fantastic cutscenes for Xenoblade that were way better than they had any right to be. Sony's cutscenes aren't on that level, they're too movie like and not video game like, immersion breaking at its finest.

They don't have the budget to make everything up to the best and most dynamic scenes in their games though like Sony's most expensive titles which is why they probably aren't in the running. They do their best with what they have to fill out the 20 odd hours of scenes in XC2 and Torna for example and it can be surprisingly decent for rudimentary tools but it's certainly not the "best" or even on average. What makes them better with their games compared to death stranding's expressively animated scenes is that Tetsuya Takahashi is almost certainly a better writer than Hideo Kojima is. Though in games that's not really saying much. As far as actual cutscenes go on average, they're not in the running though their best can be quite a spectacle.

I'll throw my hat in with Next Level Game's work on Luigi's Mansion 3. Absolutely incredible animation and direction work.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
since when do publishers determine the quality of a cutscene?

When they have groups like this within their ranks

The Sony PlayStation Visual Arts Services Group (VASG) provides world class content, development, and services to Worldwide Studios. We offer a full service production studio with an emphasis in art, animation, as well as previsualization, character creation, motion capture, software development, face/body scanning, tracking and solving.

We are looking for a highly talented, motivated and creative Animator for the next chapter of cinematic story-telling. Here is your chance to be a part of the Visual Arts Services Group, a multi-award winning team responsible for the cinematic performances in premier Sony PlayStation franchises like Uncharted, The Last of Us, Killzone, and other iconic series.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
If you specifically prefer cutscenes that are like traditional film yeah. But as others have said Squeenix, Blizz, others do better stuff to me.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I would have expected at least one example video in the OP otherwise it's kind of hard to know the standard you're looking for.

Well I'll just post one of the best cutscenes I've ever seen in a game:

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
I don't this is a product of some particular excellence at SIE that nowhere else has, more that their marketing is oriented around graphically impressive high-budget marquee titles with rich stories, and good cutscenes are a part of that.

Dec 8, 2018
If including CGI then Blizzard with Square behind them but if you are talking in game cutscenes then I also believe Sony and especially ND takes it.

LuckyLocke

Avenger
Nov 27, 2017
No matter what you think about WoW's lore these days, you cannot deny their cinematic are still top notch. I mean look at this, the details, the facial expressions. They are next level in this department.