• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ColonelForbin

Oct 28, 2017
I say publisher because it feels like the teams and studios at SIE have the cutscenes in all the games looked at or worked on by a talented group of people who ensure that every game published by them are consistent in the high quality they are. The productions values in the cutscenes of games like God of War, Spider-Man, Horizon, and now Death Stranding are just phenomenal and really knock it out of the park with the angles, music, and just how convincing the performances and animations of the characters are.

I have played games like Crystal Dynamics' Tomb Raiders and have found that just the way the scenes are done (like the angles of the character's faces when talking or the distance from the backgrounds) and the flat, factory processed emotions of the characters have me unable to care about the dialogue or even what the cutscene is about. So it really is quite difficult to produce and deliver with them, but I think SIE have mastered it at this point.

Are there any other publishers or studios who have impressed you in the same way with the quality of the cutscenes?
Blizzard is GOAT. Prove me wrong.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
The Arthas cinematic with the waking of Sindragosa still sends shivers. Years old and nothing coming near it but other Blizzard cinematics.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Pre-rendered? Square-Enix and Blizz are ahead of the rest.
Real-time? Rockstar, CDPR, and Sony are great af.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
I'd say naughty dog has the best directed cutscenes in the industry. Or I should, say the ones closest to film.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Maybe if you ignore all the bad stuff. There are also a lot of Sony games that aren't cinematic experiences (Knack, Infamous, Killzone, Bloodborne, Astrobot, etc). People keep focusing on a small handful of high budget titles.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know, it feels like that most AAA games are on such a high level that the differences are negligible. Anyone can do a mocap session nowadays.

But I have to give a shoutout to Creative Assembly for their trailers. They manage to create compelling visuals and small narratives entirely with ingame assets, and from strategy games no less. For me that's more skillful than letting a serverfarm rendering a CGI movie for a few months.

I mean just look at this:

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I've heard the new CoD has some stellar cutscenes, though haven't played it myself.
From what I've played of Sony games, TLOU, GoW, Bloodborne, I think Gears 5 had as good or better cutscenes.
So yeah, I dunno if I agree.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
I think Blizzard makes the best case for CGI movies that people will watch but have no interest in playing the game. Just for the spectacle.

... I mean, I may be outing myself as someone who watches the OW shorts and trailers but I don't play arena shooters.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why should we be giving any publisher credit for the creative decisions of directors and developers? This seems absurd.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
...yes?

The emotion you feel and experience with cutscenes is amplified tens of times over what can be achieved in movies because of the gameplay in-between the cutscenes.
Uhh, video game cutscenes can be great yes, but that doesn't make them suddenly better than anything a movie can be. Hell, plenty of times losing control of the character is more irritating than it is fulfilling.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
They are impressive very impressive. Best? No idea i dont play many games.

People mentioning Blizzard if you mean the cg stuff i dont think its a fair comparison here. In that department I would pit Riot against Blizzard. And Riot has literally no competition, nothing comes near their work in this area imo.

Oct 29, 2017
...yes?

The emotion you feel and experience with cutscenes is amplified tens of times over what can be achieved in movies because of the gameplay in-between the cutscenes.
But it is not the cutscenes that are doing the legwork. This is the same argument as being more invested in characters from novels because you spend more time with them. One can argue that video games by virtue of their gameplay are more immersive than movies, but not that their cutscenes alone can deliver the same emotional punches a movie can, since a movie is solely designed to convey those things and required nothing outside of its runtime to do it (ignoring the fact that their content is usually stronger).

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
...yes?

First you say story and cutscenes is the most important thing over anything else in games and then you say the cutscenes are getting enhanced by gameplay? I get what you want to say but it comes off kinda contradicting.

Jan 3, 2019
I suppose so, but even in SIE games the story is better told through gameplay over cutscenes. Imagine if that scene at the end of The Last of Us was only a cutscene. It wouldn't have a fraction of the impact.

PS: this is the actual best cutscene, nothing comes close

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose so, but even in SIE games the story is better told through gameplay over cutscenes. Imagine if that scene at the end of The Last of Us was only a cutscene. It wouldn't have a fraction of the impact.

PS: this is the actual best cutscene, nothing comes close

That actually was the original ending they shot. Joel was going to burst into the operating room in a cutscene and then gun down the doctors along with Marlene (she was initially in there) until Neil decided that wasn't as impactful so he decided that it should be handled differently.[/spoiler]

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
I am not seeing enough mentions about Quantic Dream and specifically Detroit. Detroit is basically a PS5 game you can play today.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I would argue that how well a cutscene fits into the game counts towards quality so Blizzard is really low to me, also being the lapdogs of the Chinese government helps that.

You know, I feel we can simultaneously praise the work of artists working for studios under a company like Activision Blizzard, while also decrying their managements poorly made politically driven decision-making.

It's not a zero-sum game, you know.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas

tumblr_niyhtka9xC1rjm53xo1_500.gif

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You know, I feel we can simultaneously praise the work of artists working for studios under a company like Activision Blizzard, while also decrying their managements poorly made politically driven decision-making.

It's not a zero-sum game, you know.

And as I said I dont think the work is that great if they cant be bothered to work it into the game. I do not care for them making hype trailers for their loot box game that pretends it has a story, and also as china made clear pretends to have a progressive message.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Cutscenes or just cinematics? Publishers don't make the cutscenes in video games themselves. Kinda confused by this thread.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
My vote goes to Sony. Square-Enix is up there along with Rockstar, especially Square. But Sony's efforts this gen should be the proof of that. Even recently this year, Days Gone and Death Stranding are two of the best showcases of it. This is mainly because SIE as a publisher is responsible for all the tech powering the visuals and scenes with their in-house SIE Visual Arts Group. Death Stranding is powered by it using their performance capture and facial tech.

"Performance capture and facial solution by SIE Visual Service Arts Group"

DfdPaehU8AAcWr8.jpg

Then there's also the ICE team from Naughty Dog.

Naughty Dog is home to the ICE Team, one of Sony's Worldwide Studios central technology groups. The term ICE originally stands for Initiative for a Common Engine which describes the original purpose of the group. The ICE Team focuses on creating core graphics technologies for Sony's worldwide first party published titles, including low-level game engine components, graphics processing pipelines, supporting tools, and graphics profiling and debugging tools. The ICE Team also supports third party developers with a suite of engine components, and a graphics analysis, profiling, and debugging tool for the RSX. Both enable developers to get better performance out of PlayStation hardware.

Last edited:

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Cutscenes vary too much from game to game, but for pure cinematics... come on.

I didn't even like this expansion, but the cinematic is top notch.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
If we're counting CGI cutscenes, the ones in the latest Modern Warfare is top-notch.