• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've only recently looked into the issue and it's been honestly...freightening to some degree. Firstly, because the ethical and environmental sides of veganism seem frankly impossible to argue against. I don't think I've seen a single debate where the person to argue in favour of animal product consumption didn't resort to fallacies, rationalizing, ignorance and whatnot, whereas abstaining of meat and dairy product seems trivially easy to justify.
Secondly, and the actual frightening part, veganism might be one of the most beneficial things to humanity that has a terrible reputation. If reddit is anything to go by, people'd rather not be reminded they're hypocrites. Can't handle the dissonance I guess. Seeing a thread about animal abuse on the front page, and yet having to sort by controversial for the "go vegan" posts is pretty fucking bizarre. If you guys care about animal's well-being, why the fuck do you eat the for no other reason than recreation? Honestly, if this isn't brainwashing, what is lol?

Mind you, I'm not vegan yet (I'm entirely abstaining from meat, will definitely go vegan down the line), but I can kinda see why some vegans are preachy or aggressive, given how stupid and disingenuous the opposition is to be honest.

edit: Provided you have no condition that would require animal products.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It tastes good is a perfectly fine argument. We do things we enjoy and eating meat is enoyable.

DukeBlue

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Nope there isn't.

People would rather turn a blind eye towards animal abuse. (They'll still say how horrible it is that animal abuse happens lol)

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
I think that depends how you look at it.

From an environmental standpoint: we should all become vegan

But if you set that aside: matter of taste. People like meat

In the end I don't think you can approach this question without thinking about our planet. We don't really have a choice.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
i've known someone who was deeply committed to being vegan, and were vegan for a long time, but for various health reasons and state of mind they went back to being vegetarian. they are plenty of legit reasons to not got full vegan.

otoh for me i can feel myself moving towards it. it's certainly much easier when you discover you make plenty of amazing tasty food and remain entirely vegan.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Part of living is enjoying your life. For many people food is a massive part of enjoying life and for the majority of those people, animal-based proteins (including eggs and milk) are a huge part of that

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
I agree that vegans are probably morally in the right

I've considered going vegetarian before (the amount of meat i eat is really not all that much), but if i were to go vegan I really would miss things like eggs, cheese and milk

I'd miss fish a lot too, tuna sandwiches are my favourite

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Some people struggle with iron deficiency anemia and getting enough protein from plants only. The human digestion system varies, and we evolved as omnivores so sometimes you just don't have the luxury of eating plants only.

I don't see an argument against leveraging milk and egg protein.

Also practicing pure veganism is impractical. Do you request vegan prescription drugs that were designed without animal testing? Do you get vaccines. Those aren't vegan.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I assume it's a huge pain in the ass. For Lent one year, I gave up all meat (nothing that required an animal to die, but cheese and eggs still on the menu) and it was near impossible to go out with friends unless you wanted to eat house salads and if your family hasn't bought in to the same diet then cooking at home also is a nightmare.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I tried going full vegan and couldn't. But I did cut out all meat except chicken and eggs.
Eggs aren't meat, but it's funny because chicken actually has the best substitutes. Which meant going vegetarian for me was pretty easy since chicken was my favorite meat.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I have one from experience..
Convenience. When I was Vegan is was incredibly inconvenient. My meals had to all be well thought out, researched, and planned ahead of time. My moment of realization came on a Saturday, at a kid's birthday party. I had yet to eat and I was starving. The only thing at the party was pizza and other various non Vegan items. I was ready to leave and grab fast food but even that was a no no with the options nearby. Instead I went hungry and it was the beginning of the end for my strict Vegan diet

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
Vegetarian sounds to me better than vegan.
I can see myself trying it out, although i do love sushi. Any fish-only options out there?

I would probably be one that tries to avoid meat without being crazy about it.
As long as I have a choice on what to eat.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
The taste, texture and the entire experience around food is one of the, if not THE, most defining traits of human culture. Apart from perhaps procreation, the meals we enjoy are the most important and wonderful thing about being a human.
Food has brought us together since the dawn of our species, it has united cultures around a cuisine, and the urge to eat well has brought both war and peace for thousands of years.
"Tastes good" is an incredibly naive view of what food is to us humans.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
also people who make the "i would miss x" argument, the thing is, after a while you probably wouldn't. our tastes change. after a while once our bodies adjust to a new diet, your cravings for certain types of food just goes.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cultural heritage through traditional cuisine. Animal products form a major part of most traditional foods and by giving them up completely we lose a connection to the culinary culture of our ancestors. However it's an issue for society at large and not for any individual consumers

zoboomafoo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It tastes good is a perfectly fine argument. We do things we enjoy and eating meat is enoyable.

Part of living is enjoying your life. For many people food is a massive part of enjoying life and for the majority of those people, animal-based proteins (including eggs and milk) are a huge part of that

Not to be "that guy", and I already know which trajectory that thread is gonna take anyway, but "enjoyment" is incredibly relative. Don't you think murder, torture, rape, etc is enjoyable to some people? It's a weird line to draw, because what's "enjoyable" is gonna vary from person to person.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
I need my lamb and chicken.

That said I am against animal abuse, I am for safe living/grazing conditions and humane slaughtering.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
Vegetarian sounds to me better than vegan.
I can see myself trying it out, although i do love sushi. Any fish-only options out there?

I would probably be one that tries to avoid meat without being crazy about it.
As long as I have a choice on what to eat.

you could become a pescatarian, that's where you eat fish but not other meats

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
no, there will never be a good argument

and i will likely never go vegan

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I need my lamb and chicken.

That said I am against animal abuse, I am for safe living/grazing conditions and humane slaughtering.
Humane slaughtering is always funny to me, it doesn't happen in 2018 - there's way too many people to feed.

And I eat dairy when going out but it's almost inherently animal abuse. How do you think they get enough milk to feed 7 billion people?

Oct 30, 2017
Animal meat still seems the easiest way for me to get the protein I need.

If I want 160-200g of protein a day, it can be done via a vegan diet. But I wouldn't say it's easy. Beans, seeds, and nuts doesn't seem easy to do everyday.

Salty_Josh

Oct 28, 2017
There is the argument about how animals are killed protecting all of those tofu making crops by pesticides and the farmers themselves. Not really sure about the veracity of that argument though tbh. The point is, animals are dying either way and your conscience shouldn't be completely clear as a vegan.

Nov 2, 2017
Den Haag, Netherlands
On a global scale? I don't think so. Less animals would be killed producing vegan food. But that number is not zero.
Beans, legumes, lentils. All way less resource-intensive than livestock.

Should probably edit my original comment. I don't really care as much for animal welfare so much as the environmental impact and getting people on a sustainable, yet healthy, diet.

The fuck? We are judging people for how and what they eat?

It's none of your goddamn business.
When we're suffocating under cow farts, it is all of our goddamn business.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
we already had this exact same thread

just search a bit and maybe it's stil in the archives

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't work for everyone. Mental health, physical health and practicality are all good reason. Cutting beef out of your diet is almost as good or good enough as far as I'm concerned for the environment.

And I've no ethical issues with eating meat.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I have one from experience..
Convenience. When I was Vegan is was incredibly inconvenient. My meals had to all be well thought out, researched, and planned ahead of time. My moment of realization came on a Saturday, at a kid's birthday party. I had yet to eat and I was starving. The only thing at the party was pizza and other various non Vegan items. I was ready to leave and grab fast food but even that was a no no with the options nearby. Instead I went hungry and it was the beginning of the end for my strict Vegan diet

I was at a commercial shoot for 15 hours yesterday and both options (lunch and dinner) from craft services were not vegan friendly.

A vegan working this shoot would have gone 15 hours without eating.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As a reasonably well-off individual in a developed western nation? No, there's not much of an argument against it. Now try to make veganism work on, say, the Mongolian steppe, where ruminants capable of digesting what sparse plant life there is are the only source of food. In places where rainfall is low, veganism is impossible unless you're importing food.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Biggest factors in my mind are costs, and knowing your stuff nutritionally. It's not as hard for adults, but children in particular are at risk. Yes, you absolutely can have a healthy diet vegan. If you don't know what you're doing, it can be tragic instead. At least for children, a poorly researched vegan diet seems to lead to severe medical complications. I wonder how many adults have done similar research themselves to ensure that they're eating healthy and not suffering from being poorly nourished? And if veganism is only really sustainable for adults, then as a lifestyle it's going to be hard to spread or teach.

Full disclosure-- I'm a meat eater, mostly out of habit and taste. I admire the vegan lifestyle, however, and want to reduce meat consumption in my own life.

Moral Panic

Oct 28, 2017
Life is about exploitation. My Nike shoes exploits the fact that poor Vietnamese people need jobs in order to eat so they get worked hard and in the end I can get cheap trainers. We give cows veterinary care and antibiotics, protection from predators and the environment, never having to work for food in their entire lives and in return they give me milk - and that somehow is more immoral?

Status
Not open for further replies.