• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rackham

Oct 25, 2017
I've tried nearly everything and I cannot get GNS3 to work with either VirtualBox or VMware Workstation Player. I've tried it on two different PCs with Windows and Ubuntu. The only thing I haven't tried is trying it with an older version of Ubuntu. I feel like crying.

kmag

Something with Cisco machines preferably since I'm studying for the CCNA

OP
OP
Rackham

Rackham

Oct 25, 2017
I've just started using packet tracer. I heard it was limited but it seems pretty good.

Spectrum

Oct 27, 2017
I remember being able to run GNS3 on Ubuntu without the VM, only needing QEMU to emulate the machines. Also, what problem are you having with the Virtual Machines? Did you perhaps forget to enable virtualization on the BIOS setup?

OP
OP
Rackham

Rackham

Oct 25, 2017
I remember being able to run GNS3 on Ubuntu without the VM, only needing QEMU to emulate the machines. Also, what problem are you having with the Virtual Machines? Did you perhaps forget to enable virtualization on the BIOS setup?
Yeah. Seems to be different problems on different places. Windows was giving me credential errors on VMware Workstation Player and it wasn't even going back the GRUB screen in VirtualBox. Ubuntu was giving me connection errors regarding the host IP and port in VirtualBox and I'm not recalling the Workstation Player issue but I couldn't use it. Were you using Ubuntu 19?

I also purged my computer of all related files and tried reinstalling.

I don't know much about QEMU but I'm trying to get the GNS3 VM to function with GNS3 to follow along in this networking course from Udemy. I can try recreating the topologies David Bombal is doing from GNS3 to Packet Tracer although I'm not really sure what routers and switches he picks half the time.

Spectrum

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. Seems to be different problems on different places. Windows was giving me credential errors on VMware Workstation Player and it wasn't even going back the GRUB screen in VirtualBox. Ubuntu was giving me connection errors regarding the host IP and port in VirtualBox and I'm not recalling the Workstation Player issue but I couldn't use it. Were you using Ubuntu 19?

I also purged my computer of all related files and tried reinstalling.

I don't know much about QEMU but I'm trying to get the GNS3 VM to function with GNS3 to follow along in this networking course from Udemy. I can try recreating the topologies David Bombal is doing from GNS3 to Packet Tracer although I'm not really sure what routers and switches he picks half the time.

I'm no networking expert, but I had to write a report about this some years ago for a laboratory. I will copy from there. It might be outdated, but it could be useful.

At the time I used Ubuntu 16.04. I followed the installation instructions, which is pretty much 3 apt-get commands, and selected "Run topologies on my computer" when prompted about the VM. That would run the machines locally without requiring the VM.

For VMware Workstation on Windows I noted to use version 12 and not the latest version. That seems to be important, but I don't remember too well to be honest.

OP
OP
Rackham

Rackham

Oct 25, 2017
You mean like packet tracer?
I was hesitant to use it because I had heard it was limited but after using it for a bit tonight I like it.
I'm no networking expert, but I had to write a report about this some years ago for a laboratory. I will copy from there. It might be outdated, but it could be useful.

At the time I used Ubuntu 16.04. I followed the installation instructions, which is pretty much 3 apt-get commands, and selected "Run topologies on my computer" when prompted about the VM. That would run the machines locally without requiring the VM.

For VMware Workstation on Windows I noted to use version 12 and not the latest version. That seems to be important, but I don't remember too well to be honest.
The issue with Ubuntu seems to be because GNS3 doesn't really support Ubuntu 19 yet. I'm gonna downgrade on my desktop tomorrow.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
I was hesitant to use it because I had heard it was limited but after using it for a bit tonight I like it.

It's good, I used it all the time back in college (networking degree). It's funny looking back because I used to be a boss at cisco ios and ended up using it exactly never.