• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
On a 1080p monitor and the game I'm playing in Exclusive Full Screen is incredibly sluggish on ALT + TAB. Gedosato doesn't work with this game either so I can't use that. I also don't want to set Windows itself to 4k because the image quality of the desktop becomes diminished.

Any suggestions?

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I looked high and low for the same in the past and unfortunately I never found anything that enables this short of GeDoSaTo or games natively supporting this like Forza Horizon 3, Overwatch and everything else that has a internal resolution-scale slider :( It would be so great for League of Legends and FFXIV on my end but really everything would benefit from that.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
You could give Simple Runtime Windows Editor a try, if the game doesn't rescale its internal resolution when its windows is resized, you should be good.

Okay this is interesting :o So if I get this correctly I would set a game to Windowed 2560x1440 and then use SRWE to squeeze it to a borderless 1080p image? It also doesn't hook into the game from what I've read so it shouldn't trigger any anti-cheat mechanisms right? That's the main reason I'm afraid to use GeDoSaTo with League of Legends.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Mmm could always try brute forcing it? So just applying it with whatever profile it already has? Maybe something like OGSSAA would work? Sorry I don't have the game so can't test it myself.

Hmm that didn't work either last time I tried unfortunately but last time I looked into it was a bit more than a year ago, I suppose I could fire up Google again and mess around :)

OP
OP

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You could give Simple Runtime Windows Editor a try, if the game doesn't rescale its internal resolution when its windows is resized, you should be good.
Awesome! This tool actually worked.

Essentially just set the game resolution in windowed mode to what you want, hit "Fake fullscreen", then hit "Remove borders" and you're good to go.

Not sure how to save a profile yet, though.

Zexen

Oct 27, 2017
Okay this is interesting :o So if I get this correctly I would set a game to Windowed 2560x1440 and then use SRWE to squeeze it to a borderless 1080p image? It also doesn't hook into the game from what I've read so it shouldn't trigger any anti-cheat mechanisms right? That's the main reason I'm afraid to use GeDoSaTo with League of Legends.
Yes, it basically messes around with the built in windows manager, just like you would do by moving the edge with your mouse.

Regarding 1440p > to 1080p, it's entirely possible, like I said, it's all up to if the game allow for hotsampling or not.

You can learn more on the subject here, here or even here.

PS: you might recognize some usernames in these links. :)
Awesome! This tool actually worked.

Essentially just set the game resolution in windowed mode to what you want, hit "Fake fullscreen", then hit "Remove borders" and you're good to go.

Not sure how to save a profile yet, though.
When you have your app running and selected, there is multiple names with little squares on the SRWE's left section. Just click on the first one (1.) and you should be able to save your profile. Check more cases if you edited more windows/options, obviously.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it basically messes around with the built in windows manager, just like you would do by moving the edge with your mouse.

Regarding 1440p > to 1080p, it's entirely possible, like I said, it's all up to if the game allow for hotsampling or not.

You can learn more on the subject here, here or even here.

PS: you might recognize some usernames in these links. :)

When you have your app running and selected, there is multiple names with little squares on the SRWE's left section. Just click on the first one (1.) and you should be able to save your profile. Check more cases if you edited more windows/options, obviously.

Okay wow that's a nice surprise! :D I'll play around with it tomorrow, thanks for the explanation :)

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this tool... it should probably add a couple of games that I can now downsample. I wish there were better solutions though. Downsampling on my Vega on the desktop crashes it a lot, so i can only use GeDoSaTo or in-game resolution scalers, which kinda sucks. Not applicable to many games I'd like to downsample.
Why can't a similar GeDoSaTo-like tool in terms of resolution injection exist for D3D10/11/12?!

Zexen

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for this tool... it should probably add a couple of games that I can now downsample. I wish there were better solutions though. Downsampling on my Vega on the desktop crashes it a lot, so i can only use GeDoSaTo or in-game resolution scalers, which kinda sucks. Not applicable to many games I'd like to downsample.
Why can't a similar GeDoSaTo-like tool in terms of resolution injection exist for D3D10/11/12?!
Durante made a post quite a time ago about why it's not a thing currently. Basically, it's REALLY time consuming (not that GeDo wasn't), and vastly different than precedents APIs. It's findable if you search for a bit on his blog.