• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Silverfish aka house centipedes
main-qimg-9fa81fb39f34f577e8030c563fdd5896

These Lovecraftian horrors pop out of fucking nowhere and scurry away or toward you like something out of John Carpenter's the Thing. They're harmless, but dear god do they scare me more than any other bug I've encountered. So damn creepy...

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Those aren't silverfish are they?

In the same realm as those though, Camel Crickets are 100x worse.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're scary for sure.
But who calls house centipedes silverfish??.

I think roaches get a special place because you know they aren't alone.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Those guys are actually pretty chill and, like spiders, prone to eat pests like cockroaches and mosquitoes that you really don't want in your place. They won't try to get into your food or bite you if you leave them alone. They just look disturbing as hell.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I hate those fuckers. Haven't seen one around here in years...I'm sure they're lurking, waiting for the best time to run across the floor while I'm taking a dump.

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
House centipedes are (unsurpisingly) centipedes. They belong to the chilopoda class.

Silverfish are insects. They belong to the insecta class.

rokninja

Oct 27, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Yeah, was gonna say... Pretty sure Silverfish are different.

Centipedes are pretty useful to have around, though yeah, seeing them in your living space is extremely off-putting.

My vote goes to roaches. Fucking roaches. You've yet to experience true terror until you've lived through a roach infestation.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
Damn the pic in the OP actually triggered me lol I get those in my house sometimes and they always freak me out.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think roaches legit scarred me for life when I was a child. My room was infested with them and every time I went to sleep, I could just hear tons of them skittering under my bed. The sound still haunts me to this day.

JakeD

Nov 7, 2017
I knew what it was before I even opened the post. I think it's the amount of legs combined with their speed that makes them so horrifying. Interesting that we've always called them silverfish too, although that's obviously not the same thing. I've never heard house centipede.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen those often enough to not be bothered anymore. A giant spider or a mosquito will still put me in battle mode though.

RedBlue

Oct 27, 2017
Queens, NY
Guyanese guy that works at the laundromat telling me about how he used to get bit by them at home. Then he slowly grabs the one that was just chilling on top of the washing machine.

Oct 27, 2017
Id say cicada killers are up there,huge meaty wasp muthasuckas. There are 8-10 buzzing around everyday at all entrances in the front of my house. I get to walk through them all the time yay :D

cicadakillersthumb.jpg

cicada-killer-plate.jpg

Philia

Oct 25, 2017
/cue screaming

AHHHHHHHHH FOR F SAKES. I went into this thread to say JUST EXACTLY AS THE OP. And there's a DAMN picture. I swear these things give me a MAJOR case of nerves! I still hate these things.

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
GAAAAHHHH why the hell did I click this thread?!?!?!

There are many horrifying bugs, but cockroaches still take the top spot for me, they're not the worst looking technically... but they always startle me.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
How to tell that someone hasn't been to florida... They post anything that's not a palmetto bug (otherwise known as Florida's giant flying roach).

Those things are 2-3 inches long, often sneak into homes, and they fly. They are not silent flyers. They are loud and slam into things and are still roachy ass roaches.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
My bedroom used to have camel crickets all the damn time so that wasn't too awful. They're just annoying once they start chirping in the walls.

House centipedes are literally the worst. Like stitching together 6 spiders.

Okay maybe not the absolute worst since the American Cockroach is fucking huge and fast as hell. We moved from Houston to St. Louis and they only really seem to have the little black ones here.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Ive never had any real fear of any bugs, but yeah house centipedes always just seem flat out disgusting... They're just too gangly looking and their movements are so unpredictable.

Id say cicada killers are up there,huge meaty wasp muthasuckas. There are 8-10 buzzing around everyday at all entrances in the front of my house. I get to walk through them all the time yay :D

cicadakillersthumb.jpg

cicada-killer-plate.jpg

Got em right out front on my walk too. Thankfully, they're virtually harmless and super non-aggressive... unless they somehow mistake you for a cicada...

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I am not sure why, but I have always been prone to mosquito bites since I was little. We had to can a holiday when I was a baby because I was turned into a fevery balloon. Even now, Summer is Biestmann hunting season for those pests. That's why nothing is as discomforting to me than the presence of a mosquito. Fuckers are smarter than you'd think too, hiding behind corners, waiting for you to cease moving and sleep.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of startling house pests... Since moving to Arizona, we've learned that bark scorpions are just something to expect and look out for.

Bark-Scorpion-copy1.jpg

They're generally just an inch or two long, are nocturnal, and they like to hide in things like shoes and other crevices. They're silent, but you can generally tell if you have (or are in danger of having) if you hear crickets in your house as that's their primary food source.

Don't know a single person in Arizona that doesn't have a blacklight flashlight just to go looking for them from time to time.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I welcome house centipedes (the bug in the OP) since they kill and eat other little bugs including bed bugs.

Oct 27, 2017
Ive never had any real fear of any bugs, but yeah house centipedes always just seem flat out disgusting... They're just too gangly looking and their movements are so unpredictable.

Got em right out front on my walk too. Thankfully, they're virtually harmless and super non-aggressive... unless they somehow mistake you for a cicada...

Thank goodness right!? That loud buzzing and thumping into me from time to time still makes me nervous as hell lol.

Found this gigantic wasp nest video its crazy

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
I somehow never heard of a Camel Cricket until today. They're neat, but I feel bad for them. It looks like someone just warped a cricket into that shape; it just looks painful.

I welcome house centipedes (the bug in the OP) since they kill and eat other little bugs including bed bugs.

Yup. They're unsettling to look at, but I'd rather have them than their prey.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Speaking of startling house pests... Since moving to Arizona, we've learned that bark scorpions are just something to expect and look out for.

Bark-Scorpion-copy1.jpg

They're generally just an inch or two long, are nocturnal, and they like to hide in things like shoes and other crevices. They're silent, but you can generally tell if you have (or are in danger of having) if you hear crickets in your house as that's their primary food source.

Don't know a single person in Arizona that doesn't have a blacklight flashlight just to go looking for them from time to time.
Never live in Arizona, thanks for the tip!