• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Nah, that would be the potato bug. They look horrible, emit a foul smell and can bite like a motherfucker.
OjE5kPt.jpg

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Looking at it again, I think it's just the way the legs look that gross me out about these centipedes. They've got the same problem brown recluses do where their legs are all splayed out, uneven, and fleshy-looking. Comparatively, the bigger, chitinous-looking ones don't trigger any sort of disgust in me, despite being way more dangerous:
bigstock-123593060.jpg

Just an aesthetic thing, but it still seems to be enough to make me not want to have to deal with them. Give me a nice, shiny, symmetrical-looking spider over house centipedes any day...

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
House centipedes are just so bizarre looking. That's where 90% of the startle factor comes from. I killed one last night that was crawling on my wall. I flipped my light on and it was right next to my head. Scared the shit out of me.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Those things are so damn fast,

I would have to say flying earwigs, those mother fuckers can die yesterday

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Ha, I knew it would be house centipedes just from the title. I know these things do good and kill other pests, but goddamn all the legs and the speed at which they move just really bothers me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zombine

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just weirded out that the house centipede went right into my closet. Now I have to burn all my clothes.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
...the hell are its legs doing? It's like its putting so much effort and concentration into the bite that it lost control of three of its limbs...
I was actually wondering the same thing. He's super-stressed out (which is why he's releasing that brownish fluid), so maybe that's the reason? Or he's just trying to balance.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I hate there fucking things.

One apt I lived in had like an infestation of these. I hated going to sleep...

Nov 23, 2017
How to tell that someone hasn't been to florida... They post anything that's not a palmetto bug (otherwise known as Florida's giant flying roach).

Those things are 2-3 inches long, often sneak into homes, and they fly. They are not silent flyers. They are loud and slam into things and are still roachy ass roaches.
At least palmetto bugs are more solitude insects. I grew up in Miami too and they'd get in every so often. But when I lived in Orlando, it was the german roaches. Those are a living nightmare. I'd take the pamletto bugs any day.

Right now I have massive nests of oriental roaches living in my yard. My cat likes to play with them if one makes it in the house, but they're pretty good about staying out. I'll even throw rotting fruit outside for them to devour. It's kinda cool to see it disappear overnight.

But I'll take any US state over going to Australia... that's an entirely different level of terror for me.

Paradox

Oct 28, 2017
Playing a lot of Hollow Knight recently has thankfully desensitised me to most of these horrors.

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018
I'm so glad that I live in a state that's cold enough to keep some of the shit in this thread completely out of it.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
I just caught one of these bad boys the other night.

Saw him camping out along the wall of my living room. I thought "hell no, Mr. Centipede. You're not staying here unless you're paying rent."

That said, I am a humane man. I try to catch and release pretty much any bug to the outside without harming it. So I guided this little bastard into a plastic cup and placed it down on my patio, at which point he scurried off into the night.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
We have these in our apt and uhhhh . . . We just let them be. They're more startling than anything, and they sound kind of beneficial to the apartment, keeping out other pests.

NaturalHigh

Oct 27, 2017
House centipedes legit freak me out. Way more than any other bug that I've encountered. I googled them once I'm pretty sure they are called silverfish.

Id say cicada killers are up there,huge meaty wasp muthasuckas. There are 8-10 buzzing around everyday at all entrances in the front of my house. I get to walk through them all the time yay :D

cicadakillersthumb.jpg

cicada-killer-plate.jpg

When I was a preteen, these things nested in our yard (looked like ant hills) and there were 100s of them. It was our first experience with them and I've only seen a few since. It was like some reawakening for these huge ass bees and our yard was ground zero. It was also a year cicadas came out so it made sense.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, bedbugs take the cake. I only wish them on my worst enemies.
They are PTSD in bug form, without a fuckin' doubt.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Having been combing my kittens sporadically for the last two days, I must say that fleas are a little "startling." I've never seen a bug that can withstand being pinched between my fingers as hard as humanly possible and still manage to jump away.

Crafty bastards.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Insects and Bugs are an abomination and we should exterminate them all. I don't care about environmental effects. Nature should find other ways to compensate for that and if not... well, still worth it and good riddance. We don't need a planet that can't survive without bugs.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Silverfish aka house centipedes
main-qimg-9fa81fb39f34f577e8030c563fdd5896

These Lovecraftian horrors pop out of fucking nowhere and scurry away or toward you like something out of John Carpenter's the Thing. They're harmless, but dear god do they scare me more than any other bug I've encountered. So damn creepy...

I don't see them much anymore, but I used to get them in my house most summers. Occasionally I would see these big juicy ones that I had to suck up with the vacuum because no way was I gonna squish it. They seem to be crazy sensitive to stimuli, because I saw a huge one in a hallway a few years back, and all I did was walk by, and the thing jumps off the wall, hits the floor and takes off.