• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NaturalHigh

Oct 27, 2017
Brahmin-moth-Caterpillar.jpg
Uhhh did Typhon break containment in real life?
Having been combing my kittens sporadically for the last two days, I must say that fleas are a little "startling." I've never seen a bug that can withstand being pinched between my fingers as hard as humanly possible and still manage to jump away.

Crafty bastards.

Someone explain the science of them surviving that. I never understood it. Are they as hard as a rock and your skin bends around them?

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Having been combing my kittens sporadically for the last two days, I must say that fleas are a little "startling." I've never seen a bug that can withstand being pinched between my fingers as hard as humanly possible and still manage to jump away.

Crafty bastards.
They've got flattened and pliable bodies, so squishing them is hard.

But they can't breathe alcohol. Drop 'em in a jar of 75% ethanol and they will die.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
Silverfish aka house centipedes
main-qimg-9fa81fb39f34f577e8030c563fdd5896

These Lovecraftian horrors pop out of fucking nowhere and scurry away or toward you like something out of John Carpenter's the Thing. They're harmless, but dear god do they scare me more than any other bug I've encountered. So damn creepy...
If this wasn't what the OP was I was gonna offer it as an example.

Seen one of these guys exactly once. While taking a shower. Reaching for my shampoo bottle.

Wasn't exactly OK for a while after that.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
These things legitimately cause me to have panic attacks and my anxiety flares every time I see one. They are my most feared bug by far. Even looking at this thread was fairly difficult. Satan's he'll spawn needs to go back where it belongs >_<

zeioIIDX

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Silverfish aka house centipedes
main-qimg-9fa81fb39f34f577e8030c563fdd5896

These Lovecraftian horrors pop out of fucking nowhere and scurry away or toward you like something out of John Carpenter's the Thing. They're harmless, but dear god do they scare me more than any other bug I've encountered. So damn creepy...

We had these in Chicago and Indiana. My dad used to calk them Thousand Leggers. Things are creepy as fuck. Never wanted to smash them because they are too big.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I also really don't like the way centipedes look, I vastly prefer spiders, but I think the centipede is a step between the spider and mice.

mites < ants < spiders < centipedes < mice < rats < cats < dogs < human < tiger

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bed bugs. Theyre tiny. They dont carry diseases. And theyre super slow. And many people are resistant to their bites. But damn if the fuckers arent insanely hard to remove from your house. The easiest way is paying someone $2000 to heat your house to 150 degrees which may or may not break some shit.

Then if you ever see or think you see one again you just get this deep sense of dread that the fuckers are back.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
Anyone else just get itchy? Were I live we don't have that many bad bugs as the cold seems to kill them off.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I just saw a house centipede in person for the first time three days ago. I left it alone because I've noticed I've seen way fewer silverfish (a completely different animal, OP) recently, and silverfish eat book bindings. So the house centipede can stay.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
If you see, for instance, a big amber colored cockroach on the bed one day, does that mean there's probably a whole crew of it lurking around somewhere? I heard that that's primarily only the case for the small ones. Askin' 'cause that was my bed it was on. >_<

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, the monthly house centipede thread. Those things are harmless and I actually try to pick them up whenever I find one to scare my little sis. But they're so fragile their legs fall off very easily. Leave them be, they murder roaches.

I like these things.

emis3baaoog01.jpg

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
I'm paranoid of going into my bathrooms on humid days because of these lovecraftian fucks. If they just didn't have those god damn legs I'd be fine with them. Also the fact that they're ungodly fast.

I also saw a black hornet flying in my bathroom earlier today so I quickly shut the door and ran but when I went back it wasn't there and now I have even more trust issues with my bathroom.

Lotto

Oct 28, 2017
Earth
Hornets/Wasps are the only common suburban insects that make me flinch. Everything else i'm kinda cool with.

Heri

Oct 28, 2017
houseCricket.jpg

These were the cause of my insomnia, that fucking noise non-stop night after night... I hate them more than anything.

theHabazoo3

Nov 5, 2017
Look at this monstrosity.https://i./i/pix/2016/02/08/08/30FD4D7300000578-0-image-a-5_1454921338375.jpg http://www./news/article-3436861/Why-want-poke-Insect-breeder-taunts-freaky-looking-whip-spider-gets-bitten-multiple-times-camera.html

I_D

Oct 27, 2017
I've been seeing more and more of these bastards lately (in Virginia):
giant-hornetgzcbs.png

I've heard of them as "Japanese Hornets, but I don't know their real name.

If a stinging animal that size doesn't freak you out, you have more guts than I do.

And my dad's house used to be filled with these monsters (cave crickets) when I was a kid.
They're extremely hard to kill because they're so quick, and they actually bite you if they land on you.
ceutophilisalan-e14195xean.jpg

Last edited:

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
House Centipedes are the worst because of their damn speed..

Seriously they are the fastest ground bug I have ever seen..

Something that long with so many legs you would expect to be slow

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, the monthly house centipede thread. Those things are harmless and I actually try to pick them up whenever I find one to scare my little sis. But they're so fragile their legs fall off very easily. Leave them be, they murder roaches.

I like these things.

The legs are detachable on purpose, like a lizard tail. I learned the hard way the first time I saw one and tried to spray it (before knowing they are beneficial and harmless) and having a wriggling wall of left behind legs. They should grow back in time which is good for them since they can live for years.

They are very clean and will clean each leg individually, remembering where they left off if they get interrupted.

Oct 30, 2017
That silverfish doesn't trigger me at all, like a -1 on my scale. Its a bug, and not a scary one but perhaps this is a personal thing for each person. I sometimes find killing large spiders a bit freaky or trapping rats outside in having to dispose of their corpses.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
Look at this monstrosity.https://i./i/pix/2016/02/08/08/30FD4D7300000578-0-image-a-5_1454921338375.jpg http://www./news/article-3436861/Why-want-poke-Insect-breeder-taunts-freaky-looking-whip-spider-gets-bitten-multiple-times-camera.html

They are actually pretty great pets. You can even wrestle them. at least they don't bite you to death
oR5SYsL.gif

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I've been seeing more and more of these bastards lately (in Virginia):
giant-hornetgzcbs.png

I've heard of them as "Japanese Hornets, but I don't know their real name.

If a stinging animal that size doesn't freak you out, you have more guts than I do.
Assuming that they're legitimately Japanese hornets, those things are complete bad-asses. According to the video below, 30 of them can take out 30,000 honeybees within the span of 3 hours. You can just see them ripping their heads off and everything.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
We see maybe one a year. They are very useful in taking out other bugs. I generally have a live and let live policy towards insects, but if I see one I put a video game AI level effort toward stalking and killing it. Those are the rules and they are unflinchingly rigid. I don't want my insect assassins getting sloppy.