• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
After the PS2, Consoles stopped being better with graphics than PC, and the situation has not changed for more than a decade.

Howewer I was wondering if there was a possibility for the situation to change. The price of components for a PC can be impacted by external factors, like a factory burning, bitcoin speculation,etc. So is there a worst case scenario that could make a gaming pc much more expensive (to non reasonable levels i mean) so that it would convince the majority of people to give up on building a gaming PC. If bitcoin speculation lasts until PS5 and Xbox Two are out, could they they be more powerful than a 800-1200 dollars PC?

amokk0

Oct 27, 2017
No.

As for the reason - With a PC you don't need to spend money to miniaturize the components inside. The desktop tower form factor allows for better cooling, and therefore it's not nearly the same engineering challenge as it is to put hot, sensitive components in a confined area like a console.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haha what? Console Graphics were never better than PC. They just had more games because PC ports were less common. But games like Unreal, Tribes II, and Civ III looked a lot better than anything on consoles in 2001.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1) The Last time consoles had a better performance than a PC was the 8 bit Era due to no hardware scrolling. Since Doom and then with VooDoo the PC was and is stronger
2) Nope

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
That depends on the willingness of either MS or Sony to go for a loss leader or near loss leader modell again. At launch the next gen will most certainly be able to compete with an $800 PC.

scojitsu

Oct 25, 2017
Define affordable. Is it not the case that the Xbox One X is more powerful than a mid-range PC these days? I don't have an X1X so genuinely interested if this is true.

OP
OP

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Haha what? Console Graphics were never better than PC. They just had more games because PC ports were less common. But games like Unreal, Tribes II, and Civ III looked a lot better than anything on consoles in 2001.

Well my example is far from absolute but for example Deathtrap Dungeon looked better on console than on PC.

ScottyJayMan

Nov 1, 2017
Depends on how you view what's an affordable PC. For my take, affordable PC's have never been gaming centered so for cost, consoles have the better visuals. You want the best? You gotta pay.

OP
OP

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on how you view what's an affordable PC. For my take, affordable PC's have never been gaming centered so for cost, consoles have the better visuals. You want the best? You gotta pay.
I was thinking a 800-1200 range. With this nowdays you can have a pc that runs all games with decent settings.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well you can you an buy Xbox one X right now which you couldn't build a PC to run at the same power for less money.

But do I think consoles will be strides ahead of pc gaming again, no - pc will always be able to have more power, but always cost more, so swings and roundabouts really!

I can see less PC growth coming again though.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Look. Here are the main advantage of PC gaming: 60fps. Whatever sorts of settings you're using is beyond this point. Second is shadow detail. And the last is anisotropic filtering. If these are worth it to you, then PC gaming is worth it.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1) The Last time consoles had a better performance than a PC was the 8 bit Era due to no hardware scrolling. Since Doom and then with VooDoo the PC was and is stronger

The amiga 500 was released the same year as the nes and absolutelu blew it away. Home computers have always been more capable than consoles.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
It's not gonna matter next gen, they all will do 4K. I expect a system wide 60fps mode in the next consoles, where the resolution is lowered to hit 60fps. I don't think a 20tflop gpu will have much advantages over a 15tflop console in terms of graphics, the resolution race is over, the differences will be marginal.

514TAPWPE4L.jpg

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well my example is far from absolute but for example Deathtrap Dungeon looked better on console than on PC.

Oh yeah I will absolutely concede that many ports of games looked better on Console than PC because they just did not put much effort into them. I was mostly comparing exclusives.

klauskpm

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Wasn't most consoles, at launch, a better deal than a PC for the same price? Thought it was true for PS4 and XBOX.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Biggest problem with higher than 30FPS tends to be that collision detection in game engines starts to become wonky (and that's not even accounting for how bad it typically is already). So, yeah, that's probably not happening, unless all developers just decide to only develop 2D games (or less action-intensive games in general).

I would love all games to run at 60FPS, but that's almost assuredly a pipe dream.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not gonna matter next gen, they all will do 4K. I expect a system wide 60fps mode in the next consoles, where the resolution is lowered to hit 60fps. I don't think a 20tflop gpu will have much advantages over a 15tflop console in terms of graphics, the resolution race is over, the differences will be marginal.

514TAPWPE4L.jpg

I definitely think a lot of PC exclusives looked much better due to scale. Fighting games at first appearance always tend to look extremely impressive but that's mostly because the only thing they have to render is two characters and a backdrop. Within that frame DOA3 definitely looks very impressive but I don't think it compares to a game like Tribes II favorably.

I do acknowledge that it had better character models of course

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't most consoles, at launch, a better deal than a PC for the same price? Thought it was true for PS4 and XBOX.
By the time most console hardware is released it has been in development for two or more years, which means in all likelihood the architecture is also two or more years old. So it's extremely unlikely that the hardware would be "better" in any objective sense.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely think a lot of PC exclusives looked much better due to scale. Fighting games at first appearance always tend to look extremely impressive but that's mostly because the only thing they have to render is two characters and a backdrop. Within that frame DOA3 definitely looks very impressive but I don't think it compares to a game like Tribes II favorably.

I do acknowledge that it had better character models of course
I don't think DOA3 was the only console game that looked better. Even PS2 had tons like MGS2, GT3, GTA3, FFX, SSX Tricky, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance etc

Why do you expect this? There's nothing stopping this from being implemented already.
I expect the next consoles to be fully designed with that in mind (and not some afterthought), with Ryzen cpu's allowing a minimal hit. Also, to get 60fps with 1080p titles on PS4, how low would the resolution need to go?

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think DOA3 was the only console game that looked better. Even PS2 had tons like MGS2, GT3, GTA3, FFX, SSX Tricky, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance etc

Well fair enough I can't say I played any of those so I might be wrong. I just remember the PC games of the time shocking me a lot more than the console ones I played

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There will literally never again be a situation where a $500 console is more powerful than a $1200 PC, and frankly it seems silly to expect it.

It will probably, however, be more powerful than a $500 PC.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nope. the value of consoles is in the ease of use/plug and play factor. it has never been in the actual hardware itself.

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 and Xbox One were already outclassed by $600-700 PCs at launch. It doesn't mean that they weren't an amazing value though.

ViviOggi

Oct 25, 2017
If hardware prices somehow don't normalize until the next console generation I hope you guys are ready for five years of machines further behind the curve than ever before...

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Cryptocurrency will play a big part in what is affordable on the PC. I can definitely see it.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
After the PS2, Consoles stopped being better with graphics than PC, and the situation has not changed for more than a decade.

Howewer I was wondering if there was a possibility for the situation to change. The price of components for a PC can be impacted by external factors, like a factory burning, bitcoin speculation,etc. So is there a worst case scenario that could make a gaming pc much more expensive (to non reasonable levels i mean) so that it would convince the majority of people to give up on building a gaming PC. If bitcoin speculation lasts until PS5 and Xbox Two are out, could they they be more powerful than a 800-1200 dollars PC?
Consoles haven't been better than PCs since the PlayStation... The Voodoo cards are from 1996... PCs were already more powerfull than the PS2 when it came out

Oct 29, 2017

Not for adventure and action games, but I imagine say, Rome III: Total War, or something like along the lines of it that pushes quantity. That said, the cpu may be a bigger issue in that case.

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
2016 gave us the 1050Ti and the GTX1060/RX480, all at great MSRPs. 2017 gave us AMD Ryzen and Intel Coffee Lake processors.

If GPU and RAM prices come back down to early-2016 levels alongside all these new great affordable CPUs, it will be the best time to build a PC.