• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 2, 2017
With the use of Pokemon home, I can bring my charizard from Pone on firered in 2004 all the way up to Pokemon sword and shield in 2019. Well it'll be 2020 at this rate but still. I think that's incredibly cool and neat. Is there any other gaming equivalent to this? The only thing I can think of how is save files from older games in certain series get you bonuses in future sequels.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
For as amazing as it is, it's really too bad that the furthest you can go back is Gen 3. It would have been so cool if even Pokémon from the original Red and Blue were transferable.

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
Yeah, but are you inputting a password or what?
To bring GBA to DS, it's a mechanic called pal park, although the earlier games DP have restrictions on daily Pokemon imports. Then from 4th gen to 5th gen is something called poke transfer. Then DS to 3DS requires the use of Pokemon bank which is downloaded from the 3DS e shop. Then 3DS to switch will need Pokemon home.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Yeah, but are you inputting a password or what?
Direct data transfer, varies for each step.

Pokémon from GBA games can be transferred to the DS games via the DS's GBA slot. DS Pokémon can be transferred forwards using an app on 3DS that copies them to a service called Pokémon Bank (only the newest gen of DS games can do this directly, the older DS games need to pass through those first). You can also transfer Pokémon from the original GB games on the 3DS Virtual Console that way. Pokémon can be transferred from the 3DS games to the Bank directly. Anything in the Bank can then be transferred to the new Pokémon Home service, which let's you copy them to the Switch games. With all these steps, transferred Pokémon are deleted from their source games and directly copied in the services/games they're being transferred to.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Only closest equivalent I've personally played is some Bioware titles that have been multi generational that came up with the world state transfer system. Either by having save files transfer when you happen to have a pc, or by letting you choose various options in the website they designed.

Ultimately many of these decisions have little important impact in the current game, but it does a lot to make you feel your game is personalized.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
For as amazing as it is, it's really too bad that the furthest you can go back is Gen 3. It would have been so cool if even Pokémon from the original Red and Blue were transferable.
Technically you can, it's just limited to the Virtual Console versions of Gen 1 and 2, and there's obviously no way to route them through the middle generations for the full trip.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Diablo 3 on PS3 lets you online save your roster and imports it in the PS4 version.

Last edited:

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Nothing on quite that level, although I do wonder what the longest chain of save importing is.

Most games do it for a trilogy if at all and then stop.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
Closest thing I can think of is the .hack games on PS2. You transfer your save through the 4 games in the original series. Then you can transfer your save to the first game of the GU series which just gives you some bonuses as well as giving the same name to a certain character as what you named them in the original games. Then the GU series has 2 more games after so technically the save transferred through 7 games.

For those wondering how the Pokemon transfers work:

Gen 3 -> Gen 4:
Need a DS with a GBA slot. Put the two games on the DS at the same time. There is a facility in Gen 4 that will let you send up Pokemon from the Gen 3 game.

Gen 4 -> Gen 5
Need 2 DSs (either can be a 3DS because of backwards compatibility). Gen 4 game on one and Gen 5 game on the other. There is a facility in Gen 5 for transferring. The games will connect wirelessly.

Gen 5 -> PokeTransporter -> Pokemon Bank
Two apps on 3DS. Gen 5 cannot interact directly with the Bank so you do the transferring on the Transporter app which sends the Pokemon to Bank.

Pokemon Bank <-> Gen 6/7
Gen 6 and 7 games can withdraw and deposit Pokemon into Bank. However, once a Pokemon has entered a Gen 7 game, Gen 6 can no longer withdraw it.

VC Gen 1/2 -> PokeTransporter -> Pokemon Bank
Similar process as Gen 5 except Pokemon from VC games cannot enter a Gen 6 game. The data is flagged as Gen 7 right away.

Pokemon Bank -> Pokemon Home
Pokemon Go -> Pokemon Home
Pokemon LGPE -> Pokemon Home
I guess for technical reasons they needed another service.

And finally, SwSh can withdraw and deposit Pokemon from Home.

Oct 29, 2017

They are if you have the Virtual Console releases of Red/Blue/Yellow; as they were made compatible with Pokemon Bank.

Same applies to the Virtual Console releases of Gold/Silver/Crystal.

On a side note, Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire actually acknowledges your efforts if you actually transfer a Pokemon all the way from the original GBA versions of those games (yes, it can distinguish between Pokemon that come from Gen 3) and gives you a pretty awesome reward for moving them all the way from GBA to 3DS!