• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
@title.

Someone please help me find one of the best side-scrolling beat 'em ups created.

Short of buying a used Xbox 360/PS3 that already has the title downloaded I have no idea how I can get this thing. Fucking licensing I swear.

scott-pilgrim-vs-the-world-game-gif-5.gif

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You about covered it, as far as I know. She's dead, Jim.

There was a period after it got delisted where keys could still be redeemed, but I imagine in the years since that window has also closed.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't really fault anyone who acquires games like this by less legal means when they're not legally available to buy.

Answering your question, it's not available anywhere i know of.

I actually own it on PS3 but i don't have a PS3 right now lol

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
Congratulations, welcome to our digital-only future!

(This is why I still buy and support physical and why I'll argue for physical media until my dying breath)

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
Ask a friend with that game in his/her account, use that login to download the game from the downloads list.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You're SOL.

Gamestop was still selling keys for a few years after it delisted, but that's been gone for awhile now.

Up until a few months ago you could still get the multiplayer DLC from Best Buy as well.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
if you're american last i heard was you could buy a code from gamestop or bestbuy and they still worked but i think this was maybe may last year

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Is buying a console with it on it even technically considered a "legal" way of acquiring it? I didn't think the digital licenses were transferable either?

krg

Oct 27, 2017
the answer is no. I read somewhere that the author wants to make the game available on current gen consoles but it may be in licensing hell.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
Is buying a console with it on it even technically considered a "legal" way of acquiring it? I didn't think the digital licenses were transferable either?
More or less legal. There's a grey are in that, since you sell the system which has licensing holding over digital games... That's why GameStop and so ask you to format your consoles before trying to trade in them.

Camstun187

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
China
What a shame.

That's one of the shit things about the indies from the late 00's...they didn't forsee the licensing issues.

It's why Super Meat Boy is forever tainted.

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles

(This is why I still buy and support physical and why I'll argue for physical media until my dying breath)

This game would have never been made if not for digital-only distribution, so what is even your point? Like I could understand if you were clutching a Scott Pilgrim jewel case to your chest, but you aren't so...

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Licensing is the problem.

I doubt that Anamanaguchi would have any issue allowing the use of the songs again, but that would be up to Ubisoft(?) I believe.

As for the license for Scott Pilgrim itself, has Bryan Lee O'Malley even been contacted about it?

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game would have never been made if not for digital-only distribution, so what is even your point? Like I could understand if you were clutching a Scott Pilgrim jewel case to your chest, but you aren't so...
They just mean if it had gotten a physical release we wouldnt be having this problem. Far more indie games are opting for a physical release in addition to digital releases, so the barrier to physical release is far lower than it used to be...but that came too late for Scott Pilgrim.

Deleted member 15538

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a PS3 with this little awesome brawler, Outrun Online Arcade and Afterburner Climax. 4000$
I'll throw in english copies of Hakuna Matata and Aquanaut's Holiday too!

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY

Pretty sure their point was that this can and maybe will happen more in the future. Amazing Spider-Man 2 got pulled from digital stores a while back, but that game is still available if you can find it on disc. But if the future is all digital, that wouldn't be possible.

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
They just mean if it had gotten a physical release we wouldnt be having this problem. Far more indie games are opting for a physical release in addition to digital releases, so the barrier to physical release is far lower than it used to be...but that came too late for Scott Pilgrim.

But we wouldn't have gotten the game at all if there were mando physical releases. These types of games just weren't being made anymore for consoles until XBLA became a thing.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
Licensing is the problem.
Licensing is a problem for tons of games getting re-releases from all generations and platforms, but it's not a problem with physical copies of games. I can't play a digital copy of, say, SNES Goof Troop on my PS4 or Switch, but I can still pop it in my SNES because the physical copy exists.

There's plenty of games that were developed as digital downloads that have had physical releases like DuckTales Remastered, Axiom Verge, Shovel Knight, etc. When the day comes I can no longer download those games, I'll still be able to pop in my physical copy and play them.

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt that Anamanaguchi would have any issue allowing the use of the songs again, but that would be up to Ubisoft(?) I believe.

As for the license for Scott Pilgrim itself, has Bryan Lee O'Malley even been contacted about it?

From what I understand, the real roadblock isn't Anamanaguchi, Bryan Lee O'Malley, or even Ubisoft, but Universal Pictures.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
There's plenty of games that were developed as digital downloads that have had physical releases like DuckTales Remastered, Axiom Verge, Shovel Knight, etc. When the day comes I can no longer download those games, I'll still be able to pop in my physical copy and play them.

Dis you know cartridgeds lose its power and discs can rot?

Deleted member 7450

Oct 25, 2017
Licensing is the problem, but if there were physical copies of the game available people would still be able to acquire and play it.
Digital (ideally) would be available at all times, but licensing crap or companies not giving a shit prevents it from happening.

Physical still limited by number of copies produced. At one point companies also stops re-releasing them.

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017

You cherrypicked the most successful digital titles. Like of course they get the limited run physical releases. That's not the case for the vast majority of small budget digital titles, however.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
From what I understand, the real roadblock isn't Anamanaguchi, Bryan Lee O'Malley, or even Ubisoft, but Universal Pictures.

Damn, having to license specifically the movie as opposed to the IP itself is sort of a drag, though I guess there is some sort of contractual issue here.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
Digital (ideally) would be available at all times, but licensing crap or companies not giving a shit prevents it from happening.
Which is why physical media should always be an option, that's the whole point. The physical copies of games exist regardless of licensing or a company not keeping a game on their servers.
Did you know a game collection can be destroyed in natural disasters like floods or fires?

Why do some of you argue so vehemently against physical media and want a digital future? Why are you okay with massive companies deciding what you can and can't play a few years down the road?

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Physical still limited by number of copies produced. At one point companies also stops re-releasing them.
The point is that one can still get copies of those games should they so desire.

I can't buy a copy of After Burner Climax anymore, but I can go buy a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga, a game that's been out of print for nearly two decades, right now if I wanted to. Yes, it's several hundred dollars, but it's still far more available for purchase than Scott Pilgrim is right now.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't disc rot more of an issue with burned discs? Though to be fair, some small batch physical releases and reprints do use burned discs...

Modern cartridges (Switch, 3DS, probably Vita?) are mostly mask ROM, which should have very long lifespans based on my understanding and a quick web search. Older carts with EEPROM or battery backup RAM for saves could have problems of various sorts.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, but then you just get the problem of discs of select games becoming incredibly rare and going for fucking outrageous prices. Also physical media is prone to eventually rotting and becoming non-functional. Your just trading one set of problems for another.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
It's such a great game.
A fucking shame it never came to PC.

Is it still downloadable if you have it on your psn/xbl account?

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
Which is why physical media should always be an option, that's the whole point. The physical copies of games exist regardless of licensing or a company not keeping a game on their servers.

Did you know a game collection can be destroyed in natural disasters like floods or fires?

Why do some of you argue so vehemently against physical media and want a digital future? Why are you okay with massive companies deciding what you can and can't play a few years down the road?
You wont be able to play any of your physical games when the day 1 patches are taken off the servers. Or it asks you to login to psn before being able to access the main menu.

Its a shitty future and both ways suck now

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But we wouldn't have gotten the game at all if there were mando physical releases. These types of games just weren't being made anymore for consoles until XBLA became a thing.
I dont recall anyone suggesting that physical releases should be mandatory, just that this is a potential downside of not having them and that more devs should do physical releases now that it's feasible for small devs to do.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Personally, I just feel like this is all beside the point. It was a $10 release for home consoles in 2010. There's no version of reality where this would have ever released as a retail disc.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
You wont be able to play any of your physical games when the day 1 patches are taken off the servers. Or it asks you to login to psn before being able to access the main menu.

Its a shitty future and both ways suck now
Oh yeah I don't disagree with that, AFAIC games with a physical release that are reliant on digital downloads or being connected to the network are part of the problem.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but then you just get the problem of discs of select games becoming incredibly rare and going for fucking outrageous prices. Also physical media is prone to eventually rotting and becoming non-functional. Your just trading one set of problems for another.
Discs dont just spontaneously rot. You can absolutely preserve physical media if kept in good conditions. We still have books from hundreds of years ago, you know.

Oct 27, 2017
Licensing is the problem, but if there were physical copies of the game available people would still be able to acquire and play it.

For ridiculously high costs.

Look at something like Rule of Rose or Haunting Ground that got limited release stateside; an indie game like this surely would have also had a very limited physical run.

I agree with you that physical ensures more playability through the possibility of circulation, but both distribution methods have their pros and cons.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't disc rot more of an issue with burned discs? Though to be fair, some small batch physical releases and reprints do use burned discs...
Earlier CD games are more prone to it, so think like Sega CD or Turbo CD.
But you can still buy them, which one can't do with digital only games that have been delisted.

And yes, a piece of physical media will eventually succumb to the ravages of time, like most things, but then you're gambling as to whether or not the services that will let you redownload your digital game will still be available 10, 20, or 30+ years from now. We've already seen the Wii Shop Channel go down, how much longer will the PS3 store, or Wii U eShop last?

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
I actually do still have this on my PS3, and as purchased in my PSN account..

BUT, I would still love to try the poorly reviewed Turtles in Time remake. I know it wasn't supposed to be great, but STILL. Love that they tried. (Yes, I'm also aware of the soundtrack being garbage lol).

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You are also in the the same boat if you wanted to play mvc2 or The capcom made JoJo fighting game without blowing a ton of money. Licensing plus digital distribution = complete disaster.