• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For ridiculously high costs.

Look at something like Rule of Rose or Haunting Ground that got limited release stateside; an indie game like this surely would have also had a very limited physical run.

I agree with you that physical ensures more playability through the possibility of circulation, but both distribution methods have their pros and cons.
You can buy a US copy of Haunting Ground for less than $100. That isn't really that expensive for a 'rare' piece of media. Rule of Rose is expensive but I'd argue the prices for a game like that or Kuon are inflated more due to infamy than due to rarity.

The point is you can still legally purchase those items, even if the price is prohibitive. I'm not opposed to them getting digital re-releases either, that would be great. But it's bad when it's the only option.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I dont recall anyone suggesting that physical releases should be mandatory, just that this is a potential downside of not having them and that more devs should do physical releases now that it's feasible for small devs to do.

We're not talking about a hypothetical 2018 game, we're talking about an actual game released in 2010. A physical release for it was never possible.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More or less legal. There's a grey are in that, since you sell the system which has licensing holding over digital games... That's why GameStop and so ask you to format your consoles before trying to trade in them.

Game licenses don't "belong" to the console though, they belong to the account. So I don't know.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
More or less legal. There's a grey are in that, since you sell the system which has licensing holding over digital games... That's why GameStop and so ask you to format your consoles before trying to trade in them.

Yea that's what I mean. Technically speaking I'm not sure there is any completely legal way. It sucks and why I resist the digital only future. Unfortunately, physical releases for certain games isn't reality so it makes it tough.

Oct 28, 2017
It certainly seems Bryan Lee O'Malley wants it released again.
byronleeomalletefc3s.png

(His twitter seems to be deleted so only a screenshot, sorry)

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We're not talking about a hypothetical 2018 game, we're talking about an actual game released in 2010. A physical release for it was never possible.
Yes and people can't lament that fact because...? No one is suggesting that it was feasible for Scott Pilgrim to get a physical release back then; they are upset that it could not, and that now there is no legal means to purchase or play it.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
You are also in the the same boat if you wanted to play mvc2 or The capcom made JoJo fighting game without blowing a ton of money. Licensing plus digital distribution = complete disaster.

You reminded me of the best F i ver played: Tatsunoko vs Capcom.

Man, i want it to play it again, but they stopped making discs, had an extremely short run and surely is going like half a salary at ebay.

Deleted member 7450

Oct 25, 2017
Which is why physical media should always be an option, that's the whole point. The physical copies of games exist regardless of licensing or a company not keeping a game on their servers.
As an option, I agree.
Why do some of you argue so vehemently against physical media and want a digital future? Why are you okay with massive companies deciding what you can and can't play a few years down the road?
But this, companies already do that, digital or physical, it isn't in our hands.
Preservation is easier and more feasible on digital though.

The point is that one can still get copies of those games should they so desire.

I can't buy a copy of After Burner Climax anymore, but I can go buy a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga, a game that's been out of print for nearly two decades, right now if I wanted to. Yes, it's several hundred dollars, but it's still far more available for purchase than Scott Pilgrim is right now.

Paying more for something that shouldn't be so rare to get isn't a solution though.
And that is one example, from there on we can extrapolate and say, "oh there is that game where you can't find physical copies but pop on GOG and here it is".

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Yes.

I buy games that only come on digital because that is the only way to get them but the fact that these games can go away one day sucks. Physical is the way to go if it exists.

Not every game needs to be preserved. Not every game is good. Not everything churned out by a team of 2 people selling for $6.99 on the eShop or whatever needs a physical release.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this what's known as abandonware?

I would have no qualms with anybody that acquired this through other means, personally.

Credo

Oct 25, 2017
I feel the same way about The Simpsons and X-Men arcade games. I missed my opportunity back when they were on XBLA and PSN, and I guess I'll never get another chance. I guess the best I can do is get them on MAME.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As an option, I agree.

But this, companies already do that, digital or physical, it isn't in our hands.
Preservation is easier and more feasible on digital though.

Paying more for something that shouldn't be so rare to get isn't a solution though.
And that is one example, from there on we can extrapolate and say, "oh there is that game where you can't find physical copies but pop on GOG and here it is".
If you are talking about old PC games, you can definitely find physical copies of old PC games to purchase. They may not run on your modern hardware, of course.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
Not every game needs to be preserved. Not every game is good. Not everything churned out by a team of 2 people selling for $6.99 on the eShop or whatever needs a physical release.
For history's sake, i think all games should be preserved. You can probably fit the entire 360 library on a 2TB drive. Its not hard to preserve the games, even if they dont have a physical release

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Man, i want it to play it again, but they stopped making discs, had an extremely short run and surely is going like half a salary at ebay.

Actually, right now the highest I've seen a "new" copy was 47 bucks USD with used copies being lower. Thanks for reminding me, I'll see if I can bite before prices jump.

JoJo and MvC games still hurt to this day. I didn't know they existed until they went away.

Tell me about it! I was still in school and didn't have a job for spending money yet. As soon as I got one, "lol you snooze you lose scrub". I was absolutely livid for quite a while.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Is it hard to find in other regions? US copies of TvC go for like $30 on eBay.
?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
User Banned (3 Days): Advocating piracy.
Well what about games I missed like JoJo?
Look into a homebrewed console or a pc that can run it. If ip owners/ publishers dont want to let a game sit on a digital marketplace to be played, they clearly dont care who bought it or wanted to buy it.

Im still kicking myself for never getting Blur on PC

Deleted member 7450

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody decides what I play on my Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis in 2018 but myself.
Money do.

If you are talking about old PC games, you can definitely find physical copies of old PC games to purchase. They may not run on your modern hardware, of course.
Not specific PC, just used as an example.

And again, digital works better for that. Especially due to pricing.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.
That there is no objective answer.

Look, all my babbling about here, is due to the fact that buying physical is beyond realities of some people.

I managed to buy a legit key for a game that I was looking for just this past weekend.
Physical was out of the question, beyond my reality, too much fuss and too much money for what it is.

I'm not opposed to the idea of physical, but opposed to the idea that it trumps digital because that is far from a objective reality for some,

Last edited:

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Look into a homebrewed console or a pc that can run it. If ip owners/ publishers dont want to let a game sit on a digital marketplace to be played, they clearly dont care who bought it or wanted to buy it.

Im still kicking myself for never getting Blur on PC
Yeah I have a hacked PS3 so I can find a way to play them. Sucks because I want a legitimate way to play the games.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Money do.

Not specific PC, just used as an example.

And again, digital works better for that. Especially due to pricing.

That there is no objective answer.

Look, all my babbling about here, is due to the fact that buying physical is beyond realities of some people.

I managed to buy a legit key for a game that I was looking for just this past weekend.
Physical was out of the question, beyond my reality, too much fuss and too much money for what it is.

I'm not opposed to the idea of physical, but opposed to the idea that it trumps digital because that is far from a objective reality for some,
Both have their advantages and disadvantages, that's true, but for my money the advantages of physical outweigh digital, and I dont think its arguable that having both a physical and digital release is preferable to just one or the other.

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'd just like to see it available for BC on the Xbox One. I have it on my PS3s that are hooked up in the bedroom and office, but I'd like to have it on the living room TV without moving one.

I would also settle for a 4K release of the movie. With Dolby Atmos.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I have ait on PS3 and enjoyed the hell out of it, but if it were to be rereleased on Steam, intact, I would gladly plunk down for ti again. I hardly ever use my PS3 anymore.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Still have the game, but kinda bummed I never bothered purchasing the two character DLCs.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Digital isn't the issue. Licensing and the legal stuff is the issue. Music has been digital for ages, but select albums and tracks are unavailable digitally because of licensing issues. Agreed that you wouldn't have this problem if you had a physical copy of the game, but the trade off is that you miss out on tons of non-mainstream stuff that normally wouldn't have the resources to jump into the physical market. Digital is the solution, licensing is the problem.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Please remember not to advocate piracy when discussing the availability of this game.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
i still have it on my 360, but that is it, its stucked on the last gen aparently

BUT, I would still love to try the poorly reviewed Turtles in Time remake. I know it wasn't supposed to be great, but STILL. Love that they tried. (Yes, I'm also aware of the soundtrack being garbage lol).

I have this one too, its not that bad to play 4 players couch coop, but the lack of the original ost is the real thing that kills it for me.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I think I got this game through PS+ years ago. I haven't checked my download list yet since it's almost 2000 items long but if I got it there is it still available to download or only if you actually bought it?

Deleted member 7450

Oct 25, 2017
Both have their advantages and disadvantages, that's true, but for my money the advantages of physical outweigh digital, and I dont think its arguable that having both a physical and digital release is preferable to just one or the other.
Agreed.

It just the "hey this game is available physically, $500 greenbacks, see how physical is better?" gets on my tits.

I'm totally a options person (PC here after all), I'll be way more supportive of physical (especially having crap internet), but it is a different world here.
I can't get anything I want, and if I can, it isn't for a feasible price. And it wouldn't be new, devs still wouldn't be getting my money etc, etc.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame but that's what happens with some games, either they're digital only or they don't get made. Asking for some physical copies isn't feasible for most indie games, especially considering that even 8 years ago, they weren't as popular as they are today.

Thankfully it's preserved through stuff like the PS3 emulator and considering the modern digital landscape, I think we're past the worst in regards to preserving digital-only console-only games. So hopefully we won't have a thread like this one next gen.

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your best option will be reaching a Scott Pilgrim vs The World + DLC owner and make them a big juicy offer for the whole account

I have it, PM me.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed.

It just the "hey this game is available physically, $500 greenbacks, see how physical is better?" gets on my tits.

I'm totally a options person (PC here after all), I'll be way more supportive of physical (especially having crap internet), but it is a different world here.
I can't get anything I want, and if I can, it isn't for a feasible price. And it wouldn't be new, devs still wouldn't be getting my money etc, etc.
Sure, cant argue with that. At the end of the day, sometimes I'm ok with buying a PS1 Classic for $5.99 over paying $75-100 for a disc copy (looking at you, Klonoa). As a collector actually owning the game is important to me, but there are definitely times when just wanting to play something I'll go digital because it's cheaper.

pixxelz

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah this whole thing sucks, I actually have the game on my PS3 but for some dumb reason I never bought the dlc.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earlier CD games are more prone to it, so think like Sega CD or Turbo CD.

But you can still buy them, which one can't do with digital only games that have been delisted.

And yes, a piece of physical media will eventually succumb to the ravages of time, like most things, but then you're gambling as to whether or not the services that will let you redownload your digital game will still be available 10, 20, or 30+ years from now. We've already seen the Wii Shop Channel go down, how much longer will the PS3 store, or Wii U eShop last?

Sure. But I guess personally I'm not really all that worried about playing stuff from 10/20 years ago most of the time and If I do its usually when companies re-release games on newer platforms. Also usually for stuff like this it only got pulled because bad licensing deals were made in the first place. The Majority of stuff on PSN isn't in danger of being delisted.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry for the OP here. I made a LTTP about this game a month ago. I bought it for 360 when it realized and just moved on to other games. Took my 3, now 4 year old son to bring that game out of mothballs for me and had a fucking blast. This game needs a new lease on life.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Digital isn't the issue. Licensing and the legal stuff is the issue.
Physical game with no licensing issues -> Purchasable game
Physical game with licensing issues -> Purchasable game
Digital game with no licensing issues -> Purchasable game
Digital game with licensing issues -> Not purchasable game
kxD2q6m.gif

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad I own this on a PS3 somewhere, but man its a damn shame that its such a licensing nightmare.

I assume the problem is that its technically based on the Scott Pilgrim Movie rather than the books (despite taking design notes from the books) and so Ubisoft's licensing deal would have been with Universal Pictures, rather than Bryan Lee O'Malley.

KelThaFunkee

Oct 27, 2017
What's the possibility (legally, assuming there's money to do it) that they redraw every sprite and rerelease it like Nintendo did with Punch Out?