• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aside from obvious broken games, bugs, crashes etc.

Its not a cutscene so you cant skip it. You cant step away either since the game will just stop till you press the button. So essentially you are holding down W while the game vomits exposition or "cinematic scenes" on you.

Even games with bad gameplay, controls etc let you do something. Anything.

Why is this a thing?

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think its usually a thing to hide load times, while keeping the player "immersed" and not breaking gameplay. I'm not a huge fan either, I think Naughty Dog is both great at these scenes and has been guilty of overusing them.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I think the only time I've enjoyed this trope is in Sleeping Dogs, where you are tortured within an inch of your life, limb around for four minutes, then immediately resume kicking ass.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
NieR Automata has a really bad one, but it's used for a really effective jump scare

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Easily the worst part of Revengeance. And it's clearly not used to hide load times or do anything interesting with the story because the cutscenes before and after cover that well enough.

It's not even like avoiding the enemies during this is interesting. It's 100% brainless and really sucks on replays.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
I hate it when a character is really injured in a scene and the character transitions back to normal when the gameplay resumes. They looked like they were just at death's door but now they are running and jumping with ease.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I thought I was fine with this until I played Nier Automata. That game takes injured walking shit to another level.

OP
OP
Ebullientprism

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
It's right up there with walking / driving / riding a horse along a set path at a slow pace while some dialogue with your NPC companions plays out. Boooring. Half-Life figured this out 20 years ago.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Truly the worst, especially in a game like Metal Gear Rising. I would rather have a blank loading screen than have it.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly give me that instead of the walk. At least there is gameplay there.
Easily the worst offender I can think of. It's like Kojima realised people skipped mgs cutscenes and wanted payback.

What would make a slow/injured wall sequence palatable or good for you? If it were a part of basic gameplay when your character gets really low health and the game proceeds normally, would that be better?

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
forced walking/talk shit is literally the worst

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna post the Resident Evil 2 danger walk but saw "cinematic"

Completely agree with you on most counts. I think the only time I like it is when it ends a game and the character dies.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
At least it gives some context, the opening to Deus Ex Human Revolution is the worst with the forced slow-walking/talking.

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada
Probably the biggest reason why I haven't started a new character in Destiny 2.

I'm only half joking.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
What made the microwave hallway good though? It's a typical example of this, isn't it?
Indeed. People defending that one baffle me. "It totally works here", no it doesn't, "it's meant to be excruciating", just give me a damn cut scene, don't make your game un-fun to play jesus christ

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
What made the microwave hallway good though? It's a typical example of this, isn't it?
Because it came at the very end with no other such sequence (where you just mash one button) before or after, was not overtly long (like over 3 minutes), had something else going on for you to look at and was quite effective from a character standpoint. It really did feel like mashing one button to bring Snake to the bitter end after so much build-up and save your friends you saw dying in real time in the other cutscene window. The first time where you were quite immersed in the proceedings it was very effective. Helps such sequences weren't all that common yet in 2008.

Similar reason for TLoU, which was also scripted out very well to at least give additional illusion of dynamic gameplay during it. I can tolerate them if they serve the story, are scripted out well and the story happens to be interesting. 99% of times that's not the case, so they suck and are annoying

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
well first of all it's not really a walk

For what it's worth I don't think I ever mashed a button with more emotion in any game

Really encourages you to give your all and having to just mash triangle without being able to do anything else really conveys the urgent desperation. Combined with the music and split screen cutscenes makes it one of the most memorable moments in any game for me

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I stopped playing Destiny 2 at exactly that lame, overly forced, and ineffective moment right near the beginning of the game. If the moment gets "sold" by the storytelling, I can work with it, but so many games are such rubbish in how they build the moment around it that it's a total putoff.

Oct 27, 2017
Not by a longshot.

Forced third person walking is significantly more grating. At least with cinematic injured walking there's the potential for heightening the tension or be presented in a moment of context. Meaning, there's usually something dramatic or consequential that has preceded that moment. Forced third person normal walking , on the other hand, usually has no good reason for it except to hear dialogue or exposition dumped into your ear.

Similar reason for TLoU, which was also scripted out very well to at least give additional illusion of dynamic gameplay during it. I can tolerate them if they serve the story, are scripted out well and the story happens to be interesting.

Exactly something along these lines.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I don't understand the hate for this around here...

The only recent examples I can think of are God of War (2018) and Last of Us, and I think they both are perfect.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't hate it that much. It can work, and if it doesn't, no biggie, they generally have nice visuals.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I loved that moment after the first mission in Destiny 2. I thought it was pretty effective with wounded Ghost talking to you and the amazing music.

terrible

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It worked for me in MGS 4 and The Last of Us since it went so well with the story but other than that? Nah, get outta here with that shit.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I think the only time I've enjoyed this trope is in Sleeping Dogs, where you are tortured within an inch of your life, limb around for four minutes, then immediately resume kicking ass.
That part was great. Not because of the injured sequence itself, but because the game goes "okay, fuck that shit" so wholeheartedly afterwards.