• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
The part where you have to navigate through the tunnels and crater in Nier Automata was fucking terrible and easily one of the worst parts of the game, especially when you have to limp your way when fighting that one final boss.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I have no problems with it when it's effective (MGS4, MGSV, TLoU, Nier Automata), and frankly I can't personally think of any examples of it being done ineffectively, so yeah... there's plenty worse.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I stopped playing Destiny 2 at exactly that lame, overly forced, and ineffective moment right near the beginning of the game. If the moment gets "sold" by the storytelling, I can work with it, but so many games are such rubbish in how they build the moment around it that it's a total putoff.

The worst part of that moment in Destiny 2 is that every new character you create has to get through that same mission again (unless they patched it out, haven't played for a while).

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I think the only time I've enjoyed this trope is in Sleeping Dogs, where you are tortured within an inch of your life, limb around for four minutes, then immediately resume kicking ass.

Hard agree.

I remember thinking "aw, this shit in my new favorite game?" then Wei Shen gets the fuck over it and lets everybody around him know how over it he is, which made it all worth it.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC

Masterpiece.

Give me this over 'wacky' dream/hallucination sequence that usually utilizes platforming or something specific only to that sequence any day.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Yes, many things. It's actually a really nice touch in some games, Resident Evil especially.

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Why do people keep saying this? There's nothing inherently bad about a style of combat that an entire game is built around.
Like what is the reasoning?

I want to play a game not give command and watch something happen. I want to be engrossed as the character Not feel like I'm coaching somebody else move by move. Responsive gameplay is fun for me.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
My least favorite level in Max Payne 3 was the football stadium because of Max's slow walk at the beginning of the level because he's injured.
It took fucking forever. Though I understand that they wanted to show that max is hurt but then he is quickly patched up and rest of the level you can dive off stairs no problem.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I want to play a game not give command and watch something happen. I want to be engrossed as the character Not feel like I'm coaching somebody else move by move. Responsive gameplay is fun for me.

That's less of a one off mechanic like an injured walk and more like multiple genres of videogames that you personally don't enjoy.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
What made the microwave hallway good though? It's a typical example of this, isn't it?

For me it was the thematics of it. After a long, long, LONG series and a long final game, and Snake being almost too old to finish his last mission...him crawling to the finish line and the inner mark in me that was like "C'MOOOON MOVE YOU'RE ALMOST THERE SNAKE" and being 100% into it worked really well. The fact that it was such a desperate crawl to the finish line made the inconvenience sync up with the narrative and I enjoyed it tons.

Less fun on replays, admittedly lol

GKSilKamina

Oct 25, 2017
Festering Swamp, USA
I just got to a part where this happens in Red Dead Redemption II. It wasn't so bad for the first minute, but then it kept going and going. And Arthur's already a slow-as-shit walker on a good day.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
There is absolutely something worse than cinematic injured walk.

It's when ANOTHER CHARACTER has cinematic injured walk but you're free to walk at whatever pace you like, and if you so much as think about maybe moving slightly faster than that character, everyone else in the party immediately berates you for being a giant asshole to your friend and leaving him behind to die or whatever even though fuck you game you weren't even responsible for his injuries.

snowdrift

Mar 30, 2019
canada
Thinking about the awful Dragon Age Inquisition one where you get slowed down further because of the snow storm. Holy hell I hated that shit.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
If I can legitimately ask "can I play the game I've paid for, please", then I feel that the developer is failing.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
They are mechanics I do not enjoy.

ok... but "turn based" itself is both vague and not a mechanic. Game mechanics can be turn based.
SRPGs, JRPGS, CRPGS, TCGs etc are all completely different mechanics. You can say you dont like anything turn based, but that seems a bit redundant in a thread about something so specific and actually contentious.

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
ok... but "turn based" itself is both vague and not a mechanic. Game mechanics can be turn based.
SRPGs, JRPGS, CRPGS, TCGs etc are all completely different mechanics. You can say you dont like anything turn based, but that seems a bit redundant in a thread about something so specific and]

You are more than free to have a different opinion and enjoy games that involve less immersion by giving commands to a. Character instead of being the character. Nothing wrong with that. We allhave different tastes. I simply prefer being the character not ordering a character and then waiting for them to do my command.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Indeed. People defending that one baffle me. "It totally works here", no it doesn't, "it's meant to be excruciating", just give me a damn cut scene, don't make your game un-fun to play jesus christ
It's emotionally effective on the majority of people who played that game and that's the only way it would work to that extent, not a cutscene, so I'm sorry it didn't work for you.
You can make the game have engaging moments in a way that isn't necessarily "fun", but can result in amazing and impactful moments like this.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like so many people here are either really impatient or just hate having story in games. "Why can't I skip cutscenes? Why do I have to walk around while people tell me the plot? Why do I have to do stealth suddenly? Why am I slow when I'm injured when I just want to run to whatever the next objective is?"

Maybe I'm getting old, but why would you play these games if you didn't care about what's going on in them, or that your character is reacting to injury or whatever? If the use of these tropes is bad, that doesn't mean that the trope itself is bad, just that it's badly written.

Deleted member 12447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aside from obvious broken games, bugs, crashes etc.

Its not a cutscene so you cant skip it. You cant step away either since the game will just stop till you press the button. So essentially you are holding down W while the game vomits exposition or "cinematic scenes" on you.

Even games with bad gameplay, controls etc let you do something. Anything.

Why is this a thing?

Anything with underwater

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Forced walking just for cinematic purposes is super annoying. Not sure if it is a tech reason, but The Division forcing you to walk slowly through bases entrances is super annoying. Just let me sprint dammit!

Oct 27, 2017
Follow me for ten minutes while I stroll at a brisk pace that is both faster then your walk and slower than your run.

Oh also: Go to other side of map to start quest. Go back to where you just were to finish it. This is especially annoying in worlds where things like phones exist, why tf you need to tell me this shit in person?

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I feel like so many people here are either really impatient or just hate having story in games. "Why can't I skip cutscenes? Why do I have to walk around while people tell me the plot? Why do I have to do stealth suddenly? Why am I slow when I'm injured when I just want to run to whatever the next objective is?"

Maybe I'm getting old, but why would you play these games if you didn't care about what's going on in them, or that your character is reacting to injury or whatever? If the use of these tropes is bad, that doesn't mean that the trope itself is bad, just that it's badly written.
I was about to say that I like injured cinematic walking and all that stuff . But you said it better than me.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

Because stealth section on games where stealth is not the focus (or designed with) is often miserable, especially if it's the instafail kind of stealth.

I don't have problem with stealth section in Dishonored or Metro or TLOU, I have problem with stealth in Wolfenstein or Final Fantasy XV.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind that or slow walking + talking. Glad it doesn't bother me because plenty of games have both.

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Yes, there is something worse.

Like the intro to fucking New Colossus. Just sitting still, unmovable, EXCEPT for the camera. And 9 unskippable fucking minutes of exposition.

Makes Mein Leben grating and even more punishing. I am tired of suffering child abuse from my racist ass dad for 9 fucking minutes while just glancing around being the only thing I can do.

Rage.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I loathe this trope, you can count the times it actively adds to the gameplay on one hand that's short a few fingers.

I think the kicker is how balls to the wall action game metal gear rising finds time to do this shit.

might be the worst intro i've ever played
It's certainly my least favourite, tedious and drawn out.