• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get this obsession with wanting to hide loading screens anyway. Elevators, slow walk, climbing, slowly propping your side character over an obstacle... Just give me a load screen please.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
assassins creed tailing and listening missions. You just have to follow these two guys without getting seen. They travel around a specific path that has guards roaming. If you get seen you lose the mission. If you don't stay too close and outside of the circle range, you lose the mission.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I don't get this obsession with wanting to hide loading screens anyway. Elevators, slow walk, climbing, slowly propping your side character over an obstacle... Just give me a load screen please.
I think some games have done it well when they have the character go through a tight space. Something like FFXVs narrow space walking is a bit clunky. But games like God of War or Uncharted do it well. Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order seems to be doing it. And you even get a funny little animation with the droid jumping over wires or whatever. It does not really take too much time.

All this being said, I personally have not had issues with loading this generation. I remember playing the Socom games on PS2 and just waiting for it to load while it connects to online play.

Seems like Grand Theft Auto or Red Dead Redemption games on console will continue to load slower anyway.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
It's fine, even a nice momentary change of pace, if it's short and infrequent.

It's when it becomes multi- hour long affairs that it becomes bad.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man its almost as if gameplay changes for the narrative to make the writing work and not the other way around.

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
Because it came at the very end with no other such sequence (where you just mash one button) before or after, was not overtly long (like over 3 minutes), had something else going on for you to look at and was quite effective from a character standpoint. It really did feel like mashing one button to bring Snake to the bitter end after so much build-up and save your friends you saw dying in real time in the other cutscene window. The first time where you were quite immersed in the proceedings it was very effective. Helps such sequences weren't all that common yet in 2008.

Similar reason for TLoU, which was also scripted out very well to at least give additional illusion of dynamic gameplay during it. I can tolerate them if they serve the story, are scripted out well and the story happens to be interesting. 99% of times that's not the case, so they suck and are annoying
I was into it for story reasons but then 5 min later you're fist fighting the last boss like nothing happened. What tf was the point then?? metal gear is the stupidest fucking shit

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
The forced injured walk after The Stranger fight in God of War was annoying. Served no purpose. I know Kratos is beat up. He reaches his house and he is back to normal.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Meh, I don't know why people feel so strongly against it. I've rarely seen it last more than a minute. Not everything has to be fast, fast, fast in a videogame.

Nov 21, 2018
nothing i can think of I absolutely hated the desert walk scene in uncharted and have stopped playing so many games when it happens

Jun 18, 2018
Many times it's not about load screens, it's about updating the player with genuinely important information. A public playtest usually highlights where even more of these moments are required to guide the average player to their objective

They shouldn't be removed, but yeah, let's always make them skippable.