• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should the Gaming Audience feel culpable to supporting developer crunch practices?

• Yes, We are directly supporting a process that will continue if backed by sales

Votes: 270 19.0%
  • Yes, stay informed. It will continue regardless. + a failed game makes their effort in vain

Votes: 128 9.0%
  • No, It will continue regardless. + a failed game makes their effort in vain

Votes: 415 29.2%
  • No, Devs/Pubs will do anything to cut costs. It has nothing to do with the audience.

Votes: 494 34.8%
  • I am unsure.

Votes: 113 8.0%

• Total voters

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
It might help. If game sales actually do get affected by the bad PR from workers being overworked , they might do something about it. It is not like these games aren't making enough money.

But this could also backfire and they might start taking more strict action like stricter NDAs for workers who start talking about this shit.

Last edited:

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
Guilt? Definitely not. I feel no responsibility with what I purchase, I just buy things that will be fun for me.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
If I thought about how everything I consume is made, I wouldn't be able to do anything. I just imagine that every product I buy requires the sacrifice of 10 puppies on an altar made of human flesh, and make my peace with it.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
You don't need to feel guilty but you should be aware that it happens and support efforts to try to mitigate it, like unionization or at the least not just dismiss it as inevitable. Most companies do not follow a nice 8-5 work day ("exempt employees" that don't get paid overtime are the norm now) but that does not mean every industry abuses people with 100h work weeks.

The gaming industry does not seem to give a damn about work life balance, which is a departure from other tech companies like Google or Facebook that seem to attract similar talent.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
As Sanic put on previous page, there's no ethical consuption under capitalism. Everything you buy has somebody suffering somewhere in the chain of supply. and some of them are probably even children.

You shouldn't like not care and say dumb shit like "if they don't like their job they can quit", or whatever defences for overworking I've seen ocasionally.
But you shouldn't like lock yourself in the basement and whip yourself for your sins if you bought a video game that was crunched.

Ultimately, it's a systemic problem and can only be solved with a systemic approach.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Crunch is notttt necessary no, whoever says that is ... not lying but theyre moving the goalposts a fair amount. IOnvesting in better tech, better working policies, better hiring policies and not caving to outside pressure are only a small number of ways to avoid crunch, theres also the fact that people work better without crunching.
maybe that's true sometimes, but it would not be accurate if anyone said that all video games released under heavy crunch turned out to be bad products

Witcher 2, Witcher 3, RDR1, RDR2, GTAs, etc are some of my favorite best games of all time. and that's just a quick 2 second list off the top of my head, I'm sure there's plenty more

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You just blew my mind.
Well most of these threads aren't dealing directly with the root cause of the abuses that workers suffer and the indignities that are foisted upon labor. They don't get the value of their labor, they don't receive a proper compensation for the effort put in, and without democratic control of the workplace they have no voice.

"There is no such thing as ethical consumption" means, you're just picking and choosing the ones that make you feel least bad which isn't doing something to systemically change anything or make them reflect, you're just self satisfying your own ego when choosing what consumer goods to purchase. This isn't to guilt people into anything or tut tut for consuming in a system that's inherently designed for it. It's simply a statement of fact that conveys the root cause of the issue is systemic, not individual which is why picking and choosing which companies and consumer goods and products we do and do not consume based on ethics instead of digging at the root cause isn't effectual at creating change.

Everything we make and purchase under this system is exploitative. Which is reflected in the cultures and workplaces which are built under it. It's systemic so attacking individual actors doesn't really do much of anything but make us feel better for a minute.

I get that it's a meme but it's also poignant and has been since Marx and Engels pointed it out 150 years ago.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People don't care as much about other human lives as they do about games so even if there was a solution that 100% works, it wouldn't matter to them.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"There is no ethical consumption under capitalism" is a meaningless, fence sitting, statement that skirts around the issues. Buy your video games sure, but stay informed, think critically, and support unionization.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"There is no ethical consumption under capitalism" is a meaningless, fence sitting, statement that skirts around the issues. Buy your video games sure, but stay informed, think critically, and support unionization.
It's to point out that the problem is systemic and that any reforms or things we put in place to make the issue less bad don't solve it, it just makes it less bad for some people.

That doesn't mean "do nothing".

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
maybe that's true sometimes, but it would not be accurate if anyone said that all video games released under heavy crunch turned out to be bad products

Witcher 2, Witcher 3, RDR1, RDR2, GTAs, etc are some of my favorite best games of all time. and that's just a quick 2 second list off the top of my head, I'm sure there's plenty more

Crunching (meaning: working 7 days a week 12+ hours a day for a number of months or even years) makes you work slower and more prone to mistakes and its terrible for employee retention. Thats proven. Working hard is one thing, weve all been there, videogame crunch is another thing entirely.

Success bias is a real thing, dont let it get to you. Those great games might have been made even better with a more humane timeline if their managers were devoted to take care of their employees instead of treating them like cattle.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's to point out that the problem is systemic and that any reforms or things we put in place to make the issue less bad don't solve it, it just makes it less bad for some people.

That doesn't mean "do nothing".
So to you it's either solve all problems at once or solve nothing at all because it's "systemic" (hint: it's not).

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Crunching (meaning: working 7 days a week 12+ hours a day for a number of months or even years) makes you work slower and more prone to mistakes and its terrible for employee retention. Thats proven. Working hard is one thing, weve all been there, videogame crunch is another thing entirely.

Success bias is a real thing, dont let it get to you. Those great games might have been made even better with a more humane timeline if their managers were devoted to take care of their employees instead of treating them like cattle.
what do you mean by success bias? because I already played & decided I loved those games before I was aware of any reports later on about those companies' crunch

as for hypothetical outcomes -- yes I acknowledge that your conclusion about better games might be one *possible* outcome

but another possible outcome is a game takes too long, and costs too much, and gets canceled. as I'm sure you know, plenty of video games have gotten canceled

neither hypothetical is guaranteed to happen for all cases

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
what do you mean by success bias? because I already played & decided I loved those games before I was aware of any reports later on about those companies' crunch

as for hypothetical outcomes -- yes I acknowledge that your conclusion about better games might be one *possible* outcome

but another possible outcome is a game takes too long, and costs too much, and gets canceled. as I'm sure you know, plenty of video games have gotten canceled

Maybe Im miscommunicating, my bad if so.

By bias I mean something people do "I like this game so whatever process it took to get it made was the right one"

I think those games are great and I also think they would have been done better with better management practices. Its not really hypothetical to say that crunch lowers the quality and output of your work per man hours, this stuff has been studied and proven. Its managers who decide they dont care and have a very narrow view that more man hours = more content and thats more important than their well being.

Games get cancelled for all sorts of reasons, games that crunch get canned and games that dont crunch get canned as well.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
It's good to be aware of the general awfulness of the gaming industry (among many other similar or worse things), but I don't know if it's realistic to expect gamers as a group to help fix working conditions for game developers. We're coming at it from different self-interested positions, and the default things consumers care about are things that affect them directly (i.e. when is the game out and how much does it cost). Game publishers and developers have their own interests, and crunch specifically is something developers need to hammer out with publishers.

The most you can demand from gamers is some level of understanding if changes to industry culture have a knock on effect for their own concerns. This could mean being more understanding towards game delays, for example, or accepting longer development cycles between franchise installments. But those concessions are trivial compared to renegotiating the working relationships between developers and publishers (or individual developers and their own studios).

JudgeN

Oct 25, 2017
My personal opinion is that if its part of the job you can either do it or quit. While I think its shitty and wish it didn't happen sometime that's just how shit rolls.

Plenty of other jobs have just as shitty hours and conditions, buddy of mine works as water restoration tech and he puts in 90 hours as week (due to them having to be on call for insurance companies), he finally got tired of it after 3 years and quit. Wife works as manager of customer advocate department for a hospital, every single day one of her employees comes into her office crying because they got there life threaten, called a cunt, yelled at for 30 minute straight because they didn't want to pay there $20 copay or there $200 hospital bill.

Life just isn't fair most of the time, its not the customer fault your employer is shitty. I know sometimes you can't just quit but we all been there were we couldn't quit and had to tough it out.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
Guilt relies soley on the management and higher ups. Direct your disdain towards them.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
af8.jpg

Reminder: What this means is "You cannot buy things that are 100% pure, so try to consume doing the least damage possible" and not "Everything you buy is evil anyways".

Oct 27, 2017
No. I'm not a good person. I can admit that it's a thing but I eat meat, probably buy clothes from a company that uses sweatshops etc.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
No.

1) By not buying the game, I am actually contributing to employees most susceptible to crunch losing their jobs sooner.

2) I think the hoopla over crunch is exponentially overblown and folks, as is often the case with charged topics discussed over the internet, oversimplify it to mean "employees are categorically abused and the only way out is unionization". At some point, if you want to put out a good product, you are going to have to work for it. If you love your job and have pride in you work, the results will be worth the effort. Full disclosure: I don't want to minimize how difficult the conditions can be for some, but I make a living in an industry where "crunch", however you define it, is very real, even in the setting of unionization and even in the setting where there are explicit rules that mandate how many hours a physician can work. This is going to sound pithy, but if you want get to the top of the mountain, you have to sludge through the mud and earn it. If it's "too hard", "too abusive", or "unfair", you can always get off the boat but know that there will ALWAYS be someone there to take your place.

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I don't think consumers are usually in any way responisble for the chain of events that led to the creation of the thing they are purchasing. There are exceptions of course, but I don't think purchasing video games is among them.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Nah, the industry has to work that shit out themselves. I'm not gonna be toxic online or in social media about delays and waiting for release dates and that kinda shit though. I am all for spreading awareness for the shit work conditions, but I already avoid shitty DLC practices and GaaS and Microtransactions and loot boxes and double platinum deluxe pre-order incentives and early AAAccess garbage. I need to play some fucking games.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So to you it's either solve all problems at once or solve nothing at all because it's "systemic" (hint: it's not).
You are being purposefully obtuse here and clearly did not comprehend what they wrote. They are completely correct, crunch in US game development is primarily caused by systemic issues in the US labor market overall, fueled by the reduction of workers' rights and the reduction of the power of collective bargaining at the national level. You buying or not buying a particular game does nothing to solve that problem.

Again, anyone can refuse to buy any game for any reason. Stories about crunch are a valid and understandable reason to decline purchasing a game. Just don't delude yourself into thinking that your refusal to purchase a game is doing anything to solve the problem.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me the question is: if we take a moral stance and stop supporting games that involved long crunch time development periods will this help developers at all?

I am entirely for developers having more rights and better treatment but I have the feeling that taking a stance against games with crunch time development would do more harm than good for developers, as has been proven time and time again when games fail sales expectations.

As a community we should speak up against crunch whenever people defend it, but as consumers I think we should defend our own rights. It's more than fine to support developer's rights, but that is not our fight to have, only one we can give support to.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017

No, not plenty. Actually a tiny % compared to games which haven't got canceled so that possible outcome is much less likely.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
This reminds me when someone polled the community to know whether they'd keep buying Atlus' games knowing how much bigoted content they have in their games.

The results are always gonna pend to "I don't care because it does not affect me personally." Gamers.

Logistic

Oct 30, 2017
No, not at all. Not any more than I would buying an iphone.

Every company will always take as much as you give.

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I support the devs who worked on it. I buy their games cause they pour their soul into it.

I do not tolerate the krunch kulture. And I'm quite vocal about it. And I want things to be better for my friends.

ItsTheShoes

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No guilt from me. I and most consumers don't care and I'm just worried about the quality of the $60 title im buying.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
Lets say crunch is absolutely necessary for "reasons". Here's how I'd do "crunch"

• Mandatory minimum 30min breaks throughout the day (this isn't even a fucking crunch thing... this is just normal working conditions)
  • Catered Lunch and Refreshments
  • Designated Areas for sleep or comped Hotel Rooms close to studio (the only reason I am not bolding this is because I never fell asleep at the office during overnighters, but I know people who did)
  • Leisure area for breaks
  • Mandatory Days Off after a set working day threshold (comp days)
  • Paid Overtime (as a contractor)

So... i just bolded everything I have experienced during periods of crunch I've worked. So from my experience you are basically saying you wouldn't change very much.

This is absolutely not the solution.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
There is no ethical consumption under capitalism.

Should have been the first post.

The burden shouldn't be placed on consumers. If developers want better pay and conditions, they either need to demand it or fight for it. Honestly, they shouldn't have to in the first place, and their employers shouldn't be greedy fucks either.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate to say this but I think the cold hard truth is that developers need to band together and fix this on their end. We stop buying games, they crunch to release more/devs lose their jobs/the industry overall becomes even more unhealthy.

Buying to support devs is also supporting current practises, it's a double edged sword. However, I'd happily support devs striking or whatever it takes, whatever their plea to gamers is, I'm there. For now, the message to us as the consumers is too mixed, and I don't think we could possibly know what we could do (other than spread information and voice our opinions of course) to help.

The best outcome would be the people high up stop being greedy pieces of Shit, but we know that'll never change.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, as a dev, I am not sure any of those answers in the poll really fit.
I don't think players should feel "guilt" over this kind of thing, not at all. But they really should put pressure on developers when they can over this (applauding and encouraging media when they do interviews/questions/etc over it like we see recently, using public forums to ask for that, etc).
Supporting a game where crunch happened is fine. Supporting some devs/public figures that publicly support crunch, or worse, crunch culture should make you feel guilty though.
Example: being a fan of the last God of War is great. Being a fan of Barlog that defended crunch is not great.

Just my 2 cents obviously.

I think everyone has the right to vote or not buy a game due to crunch. I don't think it is right, nor do I think those that believe this should be guilted into buying a game because it may hurt those that made it. The RDR2 thread was full of I don't support this but I'm buying so the devs can get their bonuses.

Supporting a dev that openly talks and almost brags about it is not something we should be doing no matter what the game is. I feel if a game like RDR2 or MK11 bombed in sales and it was made known it was due to crunch, I think it would grab their attention.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think everyone has the right to vote or not buy a game due to crunch. I don't think it is right, nor do I think those that believe this should be guilted into buying a game because it may hurt those that made it. The RDR2 thread was full of I don't support this but I'm buying so the devs can get their bonuses.

Supporting a dev that openly talks and almost brags about it is not something we should be doing no matter what the game is. I feel if a game like RDR2 or MK11 bombed in sales and it was made known it was due to crunch, I think it would grab their attention.
Except there's no way that would ever happen. 90% of the people who bought red dead don't even know or care about this, and because of that knowledge, if it were to dip n sales rockstar would most certainly not point to their own practises as the problem, they'd point to the job their developers did.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, anyone can refuse to buy any game for any reason. Stories about crunch are a valid and understandable reason to decline purchasing a game. Just don't delude yourself into thinking that your refusal to purchase a game is doing anything to solve the problem.
I never said anything like that. My point being is it's easy to say "there is no ethical consumption under capitalism" and then do nothing about it in a deafeatist attitude when there are ways to fight stuff like crunch and other kinds of terrible work conditions, and in the case of the US, we have done it before. Even if "Unionize" sounds like it holds the same weight as hot air, it isn't because that alone is raising more awareness than "there is no ethical consumption under capitialism."

If we treated capitalism in the 19th the 20th centuries like we do today, unions would have never existed, Bell and Standard Oil would still be operating bigger than ever, the middle class would flat out not exist, and child labor would still be a thing. This shit can be solved.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never said anything like that. My point being is it's easy to say "there is no ethical consumption under capitalism" and then do nothing about it in a deafeatist attitude when there are ways to fight stuff like crunch and other kinds of terrible work conditions, and in the case of the US, we have done it before. Even if "Unionize" sounds like it holds the same weight as hot air, it isn't because that alone is raising more awareness than "there is no ethical consumption under capitialism."

If we treated capitalism in the 19th the 20th centuries like we do today, unions would have never existed, Bell and Standard Oil would still be operating bigger than ever, the middle class would flat out not exist, and child labor would still be a thing. This shit can be solved.
Acknowledging that there is no ethical consumption under capitalism doesn't mean doing nothing to improve people's lives in the current system. Obviously we need to improve labor conditions, and the way to do that is to support unionization and other labor rights initiatives, particularly with your voting power.

The consumer of video games has very little, if any, role to play in the unionization of video game workers outside of not buying into negative corporate rhetoric about unions and voting for pro-union candidates. Developers need to demand unionization.

I think it can be solved, and if you've ever read Frozenprince's posts on the subject, they also think it can be solved or at least improved significantly. You are tilting at windmills here, we are all on the same page.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
It sucks, but I don't see people feeling guilty at employees across retsil, food chains, hospitals and basically every field; despite the extended hours, minimum wage, etc. Might as well not leave your house.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Hm, don't forget that all your game consoles and crap are made through essentially slave labor anyhow.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
Crunching (meaning: working 7 days a week 12+ hours a day for a number of months or even years)
If that's crunch then I did not crunch on my last project. In fact, with that definition, I think I've only done maybe 2 months of crunch in my career. I've done a lot of 6 day / 70 hour weeks though.

(I can count the number of all-nighters on the fingers of one hand, that shit only ever pays off on the last day before shipping a thing and you just can't get the disc to burn right, and those days are long gone, at least for me)

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
i'm weird by this notion of boycotting a product because of 'crunch'.

Are you gonna boycott the next big marvel movie too because i'm sure the actors, stuntmen, camera crew, unit directors and 3d animators spent countless hours working tireless and working overnight to get this movie ready to be launch at a specific scheduled date?

What about news coverage? Is anyone gonna boycott reading and watching news because if you want to talk about crunch, no industry is more 'crunchy' than journalism.

Why only games?