• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
I could really use a Burnout like game, and with the Xbox X it could be incredible looking. I've seen videos that look good, but have impressions from those who have played via previews, etc been positive? I guess we at least get an EA Access demo

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
I played a bit in Brazil Game Show and I'm worried about it. Gameplay is good, though the interruptions of the story might make it a hassle to enjoy.

The regular racing was fun, though it was more similar to recent NFS than something like Burnout.

The story mission is what worries me. I skipped all cutscenes because I was in an event, but in a short amount of gameplay it had around 5-6 different cutscenes.

At each gameplay section, the objective would change and you cannot stray from it. For example, you have to chase a truck and it's been guarded by other cars. The first objective is to takedown two cars and then get to the truck. Even if you reach the truck in the first part, it won't count because you didn't make the necessary takedowns.

It's a small complaint on my part, but having some degree of freedom on those would make things more fun.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I mean NFS hasn't really been like Burnout for a long, long, long time, has it? The last few NFS games have been about as bad as the movie (BAM) in the story / character department, so not much hype for this one. Which is weird, I love fast and the furious and I would think this game is right up my alley but the last two NFS really just felt wrong and weird. I much prefer the Forza Horizon experience to the curated, narrative experience of NFS.

I would love another Burnout style game though where its just about massive destruction in set pieces.

Teasing_Pink

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if I'd go so far as to say hype, but I'm interested. Really loved NFS: Rivals, and was disappointed enough by the NFS 2015 changes to skip it.

Hoping it's a return to form!

II JumPeR I

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Nope, the gameplay looked terrible. I just dont get why cant get rid of this Burnout style driving physics. Either get a proper arcade racer done or do a proper Burnout game again.
And dont get me started on this horrible Fast and Furious Story or whatever...

Last NfS i really liked was Hot Pursuit but that played like Burnout too lol

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jeez, I thought the game had already released. Not even on my radar, unfortunately. Then again, I wasn't always the biggest arcade racing fan.

Heavenraiser

Oct 27, 2017
I´m looking forward to playing it. But I wouldn´t call it hype as the last NfS I enjoyed was the Most Wanted remake.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I don't even know what NFS is anymore. I feel like they went through such an identity crisis last generation that I don't even know what to expect from each new installment.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
EAs games have just seemed so labored recently that it's hard to get excited. I don't know that it's possible to make a game that feels like it has joy within that corporate environment and a non-sim teacher racer definitely needs that feeling of joy. It's IMO the difference between Burnout Paradise and NFS Most Wanted (the more recent one).

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be trying out the trial through Origin Access. Not expecting much though, the story will probably be more of an hindrance than a boon.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I'm super pumped for this. Seems even cooler than NFS (2015) and I really enjoyed that one despite the always online component.

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually looking pumped for this. (I got it sorta cheap so that helps). I'm cautiously optimistic about. The thing that worries me is the shipment, microtransactions, and the stupid story. Other than that, customizing and everything else is fine.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Yes, but only in the abstract. I like the idea of a Fast-and-Furious, semi-Burnout-ish arcade racing game - I don't have much faith in Payback to deliver on that promise.

I'll definitely give it a shot when the trial is on EA Access, though.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
10 years ago I would be somewhat hyped about it. My interest for arcade racing games has dropped significantly the past few years. Aside from that, there are probably just as good or better choices out there for those interested in the genre.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
The story and acting looks terrible. But I can't say I'm not intrigued by another free roaming driving game like Forza Horizon.

I'm looking forward to trying it on EA Access.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I'm moderately intrigued. In terms of gameplay and structure it seems a lot like Burnout Paradise which is the type of game I've been craving. But I have absolutely no interest in the blatant Fast and Furious stuff.

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
Not hyped but interested. Been waiting for an arcade racer with customization options. Haven't tried NFS2015 but heard a lot of bad stuff about it. Hopefully the handling is much better than the last one and no "always online" requirement.

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
Not hyped but interested. Been waiting for an arcade racer with customization options. Haven't tried NFS2015 but heard a lot of bad stuff about it. Hopefully the handling is much better than the last one and no "always online" requirement.
well you'll be glad to hear that the "always online" requirement is no longer there and I actually hear the physics are much better, but I can't say as I haven't had hands-on with it.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It seems like they've really taken a lot of feedback from the 2015 NFS and improved on it (proper day/night cycle, no more always online requirements, more in depth car customization, etc.) but I'd honestly have to play a demo before feeling any kind of hype.

My biggest hype killer would be the handling, as it really turned me off of NFS 2015 and it looks around the same with minor improvements here and there from videos I've seen so far.

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like they've really taken a lot of feedback from the 2015 NFS and improved on it (proper day/night cycle, no more always online requirements, more in depth car customization, etc.) but I'd honestly have to play a demo before feeling any kind of hype.

My biggest hype killer would be the handling, as it really turned me off of NFS 2015 and it looks around the same with minor improvements here and there from videos I've seen so far.
You can actually use the grip settings for this game (again just mouth of word from what I heard). But yeah, gonna have to judge it with the free trial on Origins.

Dantendo

Oct 27, 2017
South Australia
Almost finished the previous one through the 10 hour EA Access trial, finished it off when it finally went free on there.

I'll likely do the same with Payback, more for the fact that there's just too much else to play right now.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a huge N4S fan but I personally wait after it's been released to see if there's any problems first. As well as to see if it is a "good" N4S game or "bad". I personally enjoyed the previous entry though I did feel it was a bit barebones. This looks right up my alley from what I've seen so far though!

Also first post hello all :)

XDDX

Oct 26, 2017
Looking forward to trying the EA/Origin access trial, the car customization aspect looks great but not sure if the handling/gameplay can compare to Forza Horizon 3. Also hoping that the PC version can support the rumble triggers on the Xbox One controller, doesn't feel right playing racing games without them now.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You can actually use the grip settings for this game (again just mouth of word from what I heard). But yeah, gonna have to judge it with the free trial on Origins.

I remember NFS 2015 had the grip/drift slider and from my memory, it really didn't do much handling wise. It just seems like the baseline handling is wonky, at least to me.

For example in almost every racing/car game I purchase, I judge the handling by how challenging and fun the drifting aspect is. If the drifting aspect is nailed down, that typically means the grippy aspect is nailed down as well. But in NFS 2015 your car felt like it was on a rubber band while you were boosting away. I'm not completely sure how it would be in NFS Payback, and from what I can tell there isn't going to be a demo/beta, so it seems like I'll resort to watching videos and feedback to see if they truly improved it.

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I've got it pre-ordered and I'm hyped but I've loved all the recent NFS games back to Hot Pursuit 2010 anyway(minus The Run)

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
I completely forgot this was coming out. Going to look up some trailers tonight - I think with GT and Forza having just released, I forgot about other racing games arriving. I've loved NFS Hot Pursuit (2010) so I hope it captures that magic for me of the more recent titles. Most Wanted was incredible also.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Need for speed 2015 has no always online requirement anymore? News to me, i might check it out in that case. Of course i still wish they would just make a hot pursuit 2010 1080p 60fps remaster with all the DLC, i'd buy that day 1

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I remember NFS 2015 had the grip/drift slider and from my memory, it really didn't do much handling wise. It just seems like the baseline handling is wonky, at least to me.

For example in almost every racing/car game I purchase, I judge the handling by how challenging and fun the drifting aspect is. If the drifting aspect is nailed down, that typically means the grippy aspect is nailed down as well. But in NFS 2015 your car felt like it was on a rubber band while you were boosting away. I'm not completely sure how it would be in NFS Payback, and from what I can tell there isn't going to be a demo/beta, so it seems like I'll resort to watching videos and feedback to see if they truly improved it.

There was a huge difference in handling in NFS 2015 when using the grip/drift handling slider though...

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been following the latest Need for Speed. The always online stuff from the previous 2 is really killing the franchise for me. I absolutely loved Most Wanted and to a lesser extent Hot Pursuit. When it was closest to Burnout Paradise was when it was best IMO

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There was a huge difference in handling in NFS 2015 when using the grip/drift handling slider though...

Sorry I should clarify my experiences were from the beta, so I'm not sure if they changed it a bit for final release. All I remember was that it didn't matter what handling settings I chose, it just felt all around wonky and loose to me.

Jrs3000

Oct 26, 2017
USA
When does it release? I haven't been hyped for a game in the series since the original hot pursuit.

Oct 27, 2017
These days review scores don't really matter to me. A game that I want I will definitely grab regardless of its reception - unless it's technically broken and really buggy.

But with this, I'm very cautious and will be keeping a close eye on the consensus and whether it's not a heap of problems and baffling design decisions like Need for Speed (2015) was. At least there aren't live action characters in this one.

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah they did have that grip/drift slider in 2015. The last game to be honest felt like you were driving tanks not cars. I'll try to give feedback about how the actual grip/drift works in the Payback trial.

kinda related...I've been with NFS since NFSII and it was basically part of childhood.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah they did have that grip/drift slider in 2015. The last game to be honest felt like you were driving tanks not cars. I'll try to give feedback about how the actual grip/drift works in the Payback trial.

I completely forgot EA Access is a thing, and that it's coming to it as a trial pretty soon.

I look forward to your feedback, though my standards for open world racing game handling are pretty high now - all thanks Forza Horizon 3. The car customization in NFS Payback does look fantastic from what I've seen.

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
I completely forgot EA Access is a thing, and that it's coming to it as a trial pretty soon.

I look forward to your feedback, though my standards for open world racing game handling are pretty high now - all thanks Forza Horizon 3.
I'll try to be accurate, but I've always played Forza Horizon 3 so xP lol

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'll try to be accurate, but I've always played Forza Horizon 3 so xP lol

When I made my earlier comment about judging a game by its drifting handling to judge it, I was slightly referring to Forza Horizon 3 being the most recent racing game I've played.

That will be the baseline for my expectations watching how NFS Payback fares, though I realise they also have very different handling models.