• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
whether yoruichi shihoin from bleach is black or not is hotly debated, i'm curious to see what era thinks

edit: whoops, typo in the title lol

latest

latest

latest

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely not white, that's for sure. Her name is Yoruichi so she's probably mixed, right?

For reference, Chad

c9e41dde2af4cd73f91907887c32715e.jpg

(according to the wiki) is Mexican and Japanese.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Mixed maybe? Look at her name. Then again she could just be a dark skinned Japanese character. Or maybe Hispanic, south Asian ,etc. She's anime.

Chad is Mexican tho. That's confirmed.

Oct 26, 2017
Ambiguously Brown

I guess she could be black, but really nothing in the original manga really hinted at it.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty sure she's referred to as a black woman at some point.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Black as in a descendant of Africans? Or black as in black skinned?

Last edited:

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She's the same tone as Tousen.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She has straight hair, light green eyes, a thin nose and thin lips.

Hope that answers your question.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on your definition of black. I grew up in the Middle East and didn't think of her as black in an American sense at the time. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer.
She has straight hair, light green eyes, a thin nose and thin lips.

Hope that answers your question.
There are people considered black who have many of those features.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I think its just supposed to be "dark skinned", not necessarily any specific race other than probably still japanese.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
She's human, right? I only really watched first arcs of Bleach. I guess if she's black then Naruto, a blonde haired blue-eyed character with fair skin could be white. Then you have the question of what features determine your race in anime when they really just use whatever features they want but everyone has a Japanese name and their background isn't questioned.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
She's empowering representation for darkskinned women regardless of her race, ethnicity, what language her name is in, how thin her lips and nose are (wtf?) and her eye color

Trying to approximate her race is stupid.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope, it's an Asian person.

People always think Japanese people are white/pale but really, there are different shades to being Japanese that are not always known because in Japan lighter skinned people are always picked to be models. Anecdotally, I've met many Japanese people with that skin tone.

20161010013845.jpg

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely not white, that's for sure. Her name is Yoruichi so she's probably mixed, right?

For reference, Chad

c9e41dde2af4cd73f91907887c32715e.jpg

(according to the wiki) is Mexican and Japanese.

Anime makers and japan in general have this weird xenophobic approach to inclusion, almost never are characters just [foreign race], they're always half japanese, Asuka en evangelion was half japanese, hell, even in MHA All Might, the most american hero to ever american in america, american enough to make Captain America Salute with pride, is half japanese.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bleach has some really cool looking black anime characters across the board not just limited to Yoruichi. That they have anime characteristics(outlandish colored hair/eyes) doesn't take away from the fact the author intentionally made these characters dark skinned, not tanned for a reason with accents and names that are distinctively from those backgrounds.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
I consider her black just to not think about it too hard because skin color is anime is so hard define what someone is.

Lots of white seeming characters being actually Japanese and such.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bleach has some really cool looking black anime characters across the board not just limited to Yoruichi. That they have anime characteristics(outlandish colored hair/eyes) doesn't take away from the fact the author intentionally made these characters dark skinned, not tanned for a reason with accents and names that are distinctively from those backgrounds.

17941.jpg

Yep. And nobody questions why white people can have red eyes sometimes (hence why I'm avatar quoting and I know why Wesker has red eyes lol). Who cares? It's stylized. There are plenty of "white" characters who have wacky eye colors and hair colors+styles, and nobody bats an eye.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, it's an Asian person.

People always think Japanese people are white/pale but really, there are different shades to being Japanese that are not always known because in Japan lighter skinned people are always picked to be models. Anecdotally, I've met many Japanese people with that skin tone.
It reminds me of how there are certain characters in One Piece that are modeled after famous Japanese actors, but some people interpreted them as being black due to being darker skinned.
Anime makers and japan in general have this weird xenophobic approach to inclusion, almost never are characters just [foreign race], they're always half japanese, Asuka en evangelion was half japanese, hell, even in MHA All Might, the most american hero to ever american in america, american enough to make Captain America Salute with pride, is half japanese.
This is very common in games as well, which I always found funny in Metal Gear Solid.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

She does look black if we are considering the skin tone. I am not sure though as I never watched this anime.

Cant believe that clip is the actual dub lmfao.
Yeah I noticed this, I guess this is how they justify them living in Japan with the other cast members?

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder why anime and Manga, that is made in Japan for Japan (99% of the time), their creators make characters that are Japanese or half Japanese. It is truly a mistery