• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't call it the BEST year, but it's certainly an amazing one. Picking a GOTY is going to be very tough this year. Horizon, Hellblade, BOTW, Mario Odyssey and RE7 are all fighting for that spot right now in my mind.

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland, USA
Excellent year, for me its the best in memory for the shear number of excellent games that have come out that I personally would be interested in. And not just in terms of the game quality (which has been very high), it's also a year where a lot of different corners of the industry have succeeded. The PS4 had the growth of the Pro plus the hits from first and third parties, Xbox has cuphead and a shiny new piece of hardware, Nintendo had the success they needed with the switch and the wonderfully fun first party games + classics that come with the Nintendo brand, and the PC (and streaming crowd) got the gift of PUBG.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely the peak of this generation.

I feel it is hard to rank games and years in the moment when you talk about all timers (I don't think anyone said Super Metroid was one of the greatest games of all time the year it came out, it took some time away from it for people to really appreciate its genius, not sure why that is). It takes some time to make those conclusions (some exceptions like Mario 64, Zelda 64, etc).

Deleted member 9824

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In a ratio of Games Released:Good Games, not really. In quality games released, this is one of the better years. I'm really missing the B-grade publishers and games coming out on consoles with licensed titles and trendy clones at the same time as AAA studios.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Easily one of the best years I can think of. So many of the games I played this year would be GOTY in more mundane years, but here they are all released together and forced to compete with each other.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No doubt. And Nintendo alone is having one of the best years they've ever had. I would have never dreamed they could come back like this after the Wii U.

Oct 25, 2017
For my taste it's probably been the best year ever. New Wolfenstein, New Evil Within, Survival Horror Resident Evil, Prey, fantastic Uncharted and Dishonored DLC's, Horizon Zero Dawn, Nioh, Neir, Gravity Rush 2....and that's just the stuff that comes to mind immediately.

I probably forgot a load of great indie stuff too.

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Well I feel like crap 'cause I don't have the time to instantly play all the great games released this year so yeah... I guess it's the best in recent years.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
2010 was the previous best.
A356jiI.gif

I can think of a ton of better years than 2010.

Mattiator

Oct 25, 2017
I think it has been the best year ever,
This is one of the first years where I haven't had a drought and I have had to not purchase games I normally would due to time constraints.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
It's been an amazing year for Nintendo especially.

To think, last year we had shit like Star Fox Zero, Paper Mario: Color Splash and Metroid Prime: Federation Force, three games no one asked for. What a turn around.

Oct 25, 2017
It's way, way, way to early to make a statement like that. It's been a great year, but there needs to be more distance before you can properly assess the legacy of any one of this year's top games, let alone the year as a whole. Only time will tell.

However, I will say this: it would not surprise me, with the caliber of games that have been released this year, that one day 2017 is looked back upon as one gaming's golden years.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
It's way, way, way to early to make a statement like that. It's been a great year, but there needs to be more distance before you can properly assess the legacy of any one of this year's top games, let alone the year as a whole. Only time will tell.

However, I will say this: it would not surprise me, with the caliber of games that have been released this year, that one day 2017 is looked back upon as one gaming's golden years.
I agree with this post.

However I will add that I don't think it is premature to say that this is going to be the crown jewel of this generation. I can't see another year from this gen topping 2017.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Zelda Botw, Mario Odyssey, Resident Evil 7, Uncharted Lost Legacy, Cuphead, and Prey are all really good games I've played this year, and I have yet to play Horizon Zero Dawn or Wolfenstein II. Awesome indies like Thimbleweed Park

vato_loco

Oct 26, 2017
Argentina
I can't remember the last time we had a year this good. So many incredible games, so many surprises, so much stuff to play! My wallet's never been emptier but I regret nothing.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
This is the year that everyone finally got their shit sorted. Nintendo finally nailed a successful console after five years of floundering, Microsoft is on track to have a great holiday with new hardware and their commitment to backwards compatibility is awesome, Japan seems to have finally moved away from it's "Everything on Mobile" mindset and is starting release great console software again, indie developers have blossomed into fulfilling the loss of the "mid-tier" developers over the last generation, plus other stuff I'm forgetting.

The only real (giant fucking) fly in the ointment is the continued proliferation of loot boxes, microtransactions, and scummy publishers out to rip off their customer base in any way possible.

Maliq

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo is having their best year in a really looong time. Of course it's one of the best years for video games. We're having mainline Mario and Zelda in the same year and they're both amazing. And we had a lot of great AAA and indie games too. GOTY thread is gonna be amazing.

Ancirawr

Oct 26, 2017
Denton, TX.
This is the year that everyone finally got their shit sorted. Nintendo finally nailed a successful console after five years of floundering, Microsoft is on track to have a great holiday with new hardware and their commitment to backwards compatibility is awesome, Japan seems to have finally moved away from it's "Everything on Mobile" mindset and is starting release great console software again, indie developers have blossomed into fulfilling the loss of the "mid-tier" developers over the last generation, plus other stuff I'm forgetting.

The only real (giant fucking) fly in the ointment is the continued proliferation of loot boxes, microtransactions, and scummy publishers out to rip off their customer base in any way possible.

Yeah the only major blemish as far as video game content is concerned would definitely be that 2017 is the year of the Loot Box. Even still, I feel like the number of high quality games created a situation where although that practice was pervasive it was still very avoidable if that mattered to you at all.

Mo0

Oct 25, 2017
While the marquee releases are wonderful and seriously giving 2017 a list to remember, I feel like the most positive thing this year has been the resurgence of the AA gaming scene. It's an area that's needed more love for a while and may yet be a spot where people can get a refuge from the less savory trends coming down the pipe.

Mega Man X

Oct 25, 2017
This has been one of the best gaming years in recent memory for me. Persona 5, Breath of the Wild, Nier, Nioh, Resident Evil 7, and Horizon have all been fantastic. Still looking forward to Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein and Evil Within 2. Wow.

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
No hyperbole but botw and odyssey are the best games I have ever seen. And i have been gaming since 1987

Goldboy

Oct 27, 2017
It's up there, definitely. Zelda and Mario alone make it one of the better years in recent history.

Deleted member 12186

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Horizon
Nier
Persona 5
Zelda BOTW
Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade 2
Metroid 3DS

And much more

That's pretty crazy, and the ones out all generally lived up to their hype.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely. So many great games have been released this year:

• Resident Evil VII
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Splatoon 2
  • Metroid: Samus Returns
  • Destiny 2
  • Assassin's Creed: Origins
If Battlefront II's campaign winds up being good, this'll probably be my favorite year of games in a very long time.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We'd have to go back to that one year where PS2 was firing on all cylinders with DMC, FFX, GTA3 and all those other classics to get anything close to the quality and quantity we've had this year.. Maybe even back to 1998 when Ocarina of Time came out and all the other greats from that year. I don't see any year in the near future matching this.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely one of my favorites only due to Nier:A and Horizon which has skyrocketed amongst my top 5 greats.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best since 2009 or 2010.

It had the Japanese renaissance early in the year:

Nier
RE7
Nioh
Persona
Zelda
Gravity Rush 2

Sony had their best year in a while.
Horizon
Uncharted Lost Legacy
Hellblade
Gran Turismo

Ubisoft released some high profile games
For honor
ghost recon
Mario and rabbids
and a truly great AC game

Nintendo had a great year. MS not so much. EA had a rough year but i liked mass effect and bf1 expansions.

Bethesda released four single player focused games which is always great to see.

Nocturno

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably the best ever quantity/quality. Unfortunately it's getting harder to bring fresh ideas unlike 1998.

We also need significant steps in graphics instead of just resolution.

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't actively follow gaming releases until 2005 so I can't say objectively how it compares to years before it but 2017 has been amazing.

I've highly enjoyed (and beaten) Yakuza Zero/Kiwami, Persona 5, Horizon, Zelda, RiME, Splatoon 2, MK8D, Uncharted TLL, Destiny 2 and Mario + Rabbids. Currently playing Odyssey and ME Andromeda too.

I am hoping to catch up on all the other games I've missed out on while busy with others on Black Friday. Still want South Park, KH 1.5+ 2.5, Nier, ARMS, Skyrim and so much more.

At least the busiest I've been in a single year!

Epinephrine

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
Off hand, I'd say it's definitely a close contender. Especially as a lifelong Nintendo fan (lapsed during SNES era, sadly), it's been very exciting both for releases and announcements.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
It's been a long time since I've been willing to pay full price for so many games in one year. I know there have been years in the past where I've splashed out this much money but it's been so long I can't remember exactly when.

Ancirawr

Oct 26, 2017
Denton, TX.
Best since 2009 or 2010.

It had the Japanese renaissance early in the year:

Nier
RE7
Nioh
Persona
Zelda
Gravity Rush 2

Sony had their best year in a while.
Horizon
Uncharted Lost Legacy
Hellblade
Gran Turismo

Ubisoft released some high profile games
For honor
ghost recon
Mario and rabbids
and a truly great AC game

Nintendo had a great year. MS not so much. EA had a rough year but i liked mass effect and bf1 expansions.

Bethesda released four single player focused games which is always great to see.

That is fantastic praise for Hellblade to be listed with those fantastic games. Is it really that good? I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
I think so. Funny enough though, it's probably the year I've played the least amount of different games.

playXray

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Seriously, we've had so many amazing hits this year. Yakuza, BOTW, Hollow Knight, Persona 5, Divinity, Nier, Cuphead, and now Super Mario Odyssey. That's not even all of the great games that have come out or stuff that will come out this year. So what do you guys think? Has this truly been an exceptional year for game quality? If not, what year do you think was better?

When people say that single-player games are dying it's hard to see how, given that some of the most amazing games I've ever played have come out this year without a sniff of multiplayer. 2017 must surely be a high point of gaming so far.

sportbrother

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I struggle to remember a better year. It's been crazy.

With releases coming from left and right I don't know what to feel when it's over, relieved or frustrated?