• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The best way to handle the mess that is MGS5 is to laugh at it with self-deprecating humour.

I buy zero of the offence people say they are taking to a Nintendo fighting game on behalf of teenagers.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Was the bomb not forced inside of her?
It doesnt reference which bomb, torture is shitty also. It's a cheeky reference that you would only know if you played the games. I would understand the issue if the spirits had descriptions and flat out said it or made a joke but that isn't the case.

Nov 15, 2017
Yeah, they state that she's coming equipped with a bomb, but they don't reference any of the circumstances behind why that's an important plot point for her character, at least with what I've seen.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
Can y'all who are so up in arms about this only get your kicks reading Sensible Chuckle magazine or what
(Not that I'm knocking Sensible Chuckle of course)

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
By the way

The fact that the second bomb was on her vagina, and that in the fraction of what seems like 5 seconds, Big Boss managed to put his hand inside of Paz's vagina, remove the bomb without killing her, and throwing it outside the chopper must be by far the dumbest and greatest thing in all the metal gear games, including rising

He didn't though, that was all a hallucination after the fact.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
It doesnt reference which bomb, torture is shitty also. It's a cheeky reference that you would only know if you played the games. I would understand the issue if the spirits had descriptions and flat out said it or made a joke but that isn't the case.
I don't really think there's a big issue. I'm just surprised that this dark of a joke would make it into Smash of all things, as are 99% of the people in this thread.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Was the bomb not forced inside of her?

There were two bombs in her. The first one was put in her by cutting open her stomach and putting it in there.

Since the spirits have no descriptions its up to personal interpretation which one of the bombs is being referred to.

But let's be real: Why would Sakurai choose the one in the vagina to refer to?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I mean, of course it's on purpose. They thought about what makes the most sense to give her, since the abilities are really limited anyway and this made the most sense cause there is a connection.
Smart and good.

Oct 27, 2017
There were two bombs in her. The first one was put in her by cutting open her stomach and putting it in there.

Since the spirits have no descriptions its up to personal interpretation which one of the bombs is being referred to.

But let's be real: Why would Sakurai choose the one in the vagina to refer to?
This thread has gone so far lmao
Imagine Sakurai literally thinking which bomb should he refer to, "normal" or "vaginal", and then chooses "normal" in the end, phew.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
It's probably referencing the end of Peace Walker where she

steals the Metal Gear you built

because I don't think Nintendo would reference that in a child friendly game.

Nah. Kids wouldn't get the reference. Lots of media aimed at kids has things in it in adults (or older kids) will get. It's just an obscure reference that only bigger fans of the series the character is from will get.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
to expand my other post with an analogy, I find this on the level on the long-running meme making fun of "Loss", another distasteful and jarring piece of pop culture history

Loss is bad, Paz in GZ is bad

Loss is poorly written, Paz in GZ is poorly written

They both barely fit in their universes and were done almost purely for shock

People know this and make fun out of it

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
Really shouldn't be concerned about that at all as DK has history with Little Mac/Punch Out and was the final boss in the Wii version.

Y'all really looking for shit with these spirits
Sakurai was at the very least okay with this, if not directly responible
maxresdefault.jpg
I'm not saying it was necessarily intentional, but let's not act like its totally impossible.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
to expand my other post with an analogy, I find this on the level on the long-running meme making fun of "Loss", another distasteful and jarring piece of pop culture history

Loss is bad, Paz in GZ is bad

Loss is poorly written, Paz in GZ is poorly written

They both barely fit in their universes and were done almost purely for shock

People know this and make the fun out of it

Yeah, I agree with this. The only way to make sense of this is that it's a reference making fun on how bad the whole Paz plot is. But the ugly thing is that Kojima has history of treating his women characters poorly see Meryl (implies being raped by soldiers) , Eva(sexual slave to Volgin), Strangelove (lesbian in a toxic relationship with Hal Emmerich and gets murdered by him, creepy oil massage with Paz), Quiet (Sexual Object with a ridiculous backstory to explain while she runs around dressed like a hooker), Cécile in PW (you find in her in undies in a forest as soldiers undressed her so she wouldn't run away).

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The best way to handle the mess that is MGS5 is to laugh at it with self-deprecating humour.

I buy zero of the offence people say they are taking to a Nintendo fighting game on behalf of teenagers.
That people are literally going "think of the children" over something that no one will get unless they are aware of the M-rated games plot is pretty amazing.

Really? Then what caused the second explosion?
What he means is that the second bomb was never removed.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
This is hilarious. I just about died laughing when I saw it in game.
Lol at the people trying to twist the story and make an outrage out of it.

Bjoern

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
It's dark humor. I don't see the controversy here.
It's a simple reference to her fate in MGSV. Nothing more, nothing less.
Yes, it's pretty dark. But the way it is referenced is the funny part. It's not shown, it's not even directly implied. It's just referenced. Paz and a bomb. Nothing more, nothing less. Could mean a lot of things to people who didn't play MGSV.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Well...Wasn't she raped and then had multiple bombs forcibly placed inside her, before having one surgically removed and the other being the result of her eventual death?

I mean, yeah it's a video game, but I dunno how that's funny...just kinda gross I guess.
Nobody is suggesting that is funny. What's funny is how Smash is representing the fact she had a bomb inside her, that's it.

Oct 27, 2017
Why, Nintendo, would you not give her a banana gun, an item usable in the game she originated from, over a bomb which was her cause of death? Is the banana gun OP? Is it already taken by some other spirit?

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why does it even matter which bomb it is specifically referencing? She had a bomb shoved in her vag regardless, so associating her with bob-omb looks bad still - whether intetional or not. Aside from that, she was raped repeatedly and then had bombs planted in her. The bombs were like the final "fuck you" in her horrific treatment in the game. None of this looks good enough to laugh at to me.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
Why does it even matter which bomb it is specifically referencing? She had a bomb shoved in her vag regardless so associing her with bob-omb looks bad still - whether intetional or not. Aside from that, she was raped repeatedly and then had bombs planted in her. The bombs were like the final "fuck you" in her horrific treatment in the game. None of this looks good enough to laugh at to me.
Yeah, it's totally out of character for both the Smash series and Nintendo in general. Not necessarily saying it should cause outrage/be removed, but nobody can argue that it's a risqué joke for a series/company that's usually so careful and family friendly.

I mean, let's lay it all out, a Nintendo first party developer just made a Vagina Bomb joke, yeah...

Last edited:

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pfft, the joke should be that she has 2 bomb-ombs

By the way

The fact that the second bomb was on her vagina, and that in the fraction of what seems like 5 seconds, Big Boss managed to put his hand inside of Paz's vagina, remove the bomb without killing her, and throwing it outside the chopper must be by far the dumbest and greatest thing in all the metal gear games, including rising

I didn't read that from the scene, I always imagined that he was forcing open her previously sutured wound. Now I like MGSV a little less.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I see this more as a reference of her blowing up at the end of peace walker.

It is a little sad how the supporting cast of Peace Walker and MGS3 all met terrible fates. Seems like hanging with big boss wasn't the smartest idea

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
oh man. all this time i assumed this was one of those "does X character in smash hint at Y game??" threads

ayyeee