• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ahoyle

Feb 16, 2018
So, my ex's family has a pet dog that my 6 yr old comes home talking about. Im embarrassed for her to say the dogs name. Its a black dog. They named it "Blackie".

Now...my ex says no big deal. I think its 100% racist and I am embarrassed. Era's thoughts?

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TO30GVT.png

( thats its japanese name )

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Being the darkest kid in class, I was often called "blackie" as a racist term growing up.

I'd advise against it, honestly.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (permanent): dismissing concerns surrounding racism, prior infraction for dismissing racism
Not really racist just stupid to name it that.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
That dog name is very common in my country for pets with dark/black fur.

It's "Bleki". Pretty normal where I live. I guess it depends on location.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Blackie is a common petname for a black dog or cat, at least over here - in a non English speaking european country. It gets pronounced "blekkie" though.

I would never call my pet that myself though. My cats are called Kamasi and Chibi.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I mean the tester is 'would you feel comfortable calling out the name in the park?'

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissive commentary around racism
blackie is a somewhat common name for black cats and dogs isn't it? I know I've heard of this before, always just thought it was a lazy name to come up with. You don't name a cat orangie do you?

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I think this falls under 'tone-deaf'

That's my opinion. We had a dog growing up that was all-black that we called "Blackie" as well. The name was related to it's color, had nothing to do with human racial connotations, though as an adult in modern times I would have avoided that name.

BTW, I've noticed in anime it's somewhat common to name pets based on their color. A white dog might be named "Shiro" whereas a black cat may be "Kuro".

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I am guessing she did not have race on her mind when she named it, and did not intend it to relate to that sort of thing at all

But it's also a very insensitive name and sounds iffy in general

Whether that's racist is up to you, I don't really feel it's my place to say

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I'll just say that "come here, blackie!" is not a sentence I ever really want to hear coming out of someone's mouth.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of my good friends had two dogs, named them Blackie and Brownie. They were Black and Brown labs. He's Indian and just didn't have a single imaginative bone in him.

If it's anything like ^^, or if a kid named the dog, I'd say it's a dumb name but probably not racist. Otherwise...

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Do they happen to be Puerto Rican?

It's a common pet name in Puerto Rico. Would never use it in the US, though.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Do you think they had racist intentions when they named the dog?

Hopefully, these types of names will eventually go away. I wouldn't go around accusing anyone of being racist for name their dog that.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (2 Months): Denying racism
it's not racist, but there's racists, and that's why it should be avoided.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
It entirely depends on who named it and why it was named so. It's pretty unimaginative and shit I have a dog named after the color of its fur too lmao

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds fine considering most people would assume a child came up with that name, which is both lazy and stupid. But that's just how kids are - lazy and stupid.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It used to be harmless as in a golden retriever named "Goldie" and had no connotations - but it's 2020 and it's not only a bad look but a thing they are going to be YELLING in a park.

Wrap it up B, you're Fido now.

OP
OP

ahoyle

Feb 16, 2018
For everyone asking for context...its a dumb redneck family that has lived in rural Georgia and Alabama their whole life.

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
Cultural context might affect it, but yes I agree it's a...problematic name

Maybe not straight up racist though

In my country, some people use the term "blackie" to describe dark skinned people, but since pretty much our entire country is black/brown it doesn't have as much of a racist undertone, but I can see why it might be more of an issue in America

Status
Not open for further replies.