• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dave

Oct 26, 2017
For me personally, I am a lifelong iPhone consumer. I've had from the 3GS up to the 8+ and the 8+ is a fine phone, but I feel that as it stands renewing my contract in six months time that Android is the only way to go.

I like my phone, it does everything I want with minimal fuss and I have no complaints. About the phone. The price though is what I do have an issue with. And then looking around at what is available at the moment compared to the iPhone I could get makes me feel like why would anyone buy the XR?

The S10+ seems like a great phone, the P20 Pro is a great phone and both are a fraction of the price, as is the fantastic Pixel 3. These have never interested me before but I find myself excited to move to Android. Anyone else in the same boat?

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
I was the same as you.

I ended up buying a one plus 6t in cash and drop by contract to just the data, calls plan.

Basically for about a third of the price i was able to own the phone and pay half my monthly contract vs not owning the phone and my monthly contract doubling to have the XS Max.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Unless there is some specific app or feature truly unique to IOS you need there's no real reason to stick with Apple if you don't want to pay the exorbitant price. Android is more mature than ever and just as user-friendly as IOS these days as well as there being Android equivalents for almost all features of IOS. If you like the IOS UI then it's pretty easy to make Android look and act mostly like IOS due to the inherent customisability.

I am an advocate of most people don't need flagship phones like the S10/Note/etc. Mid-range phones these days are powerful enough for 90% of the population to never notice much of a difference between a Snapdragon 6 series and an 8 series and the mid-range cameras are catching up to the top end. If you need that top end performance though, I highly recommend the OnePlus 6T. If you don't think you need that high-end and want to save even more money, I also highly recommend the new Nokia 8.1 with the new Snapdragon 7 series chip.

OP
OP
Dave

Dave

Oct 26, 2017
Unless there is some specific app or feature truly unique to IOS you need there's no real reason to stick with Apple if you don't want to pay the exorbitant price. Android is more mature than ever and just as user-friendly as IOS these days as well as there being Android equivalents for almost all features of IOS. If you like the IOS UI then it's pretty easy to make Android look and act mostly like IOS due to the inherent customisability.

I am an advocate of most people don't need flagship phones like the S10/Note/etc. Mid-range phones these days are powerful enough for 90% of the population to never notice much of a difference between a Snapdragon 6 series and an 8 series and the mid-range cameras are catching up to the top end. If you need that top end performance though, I highly recommend the OnePlus 6T. If you don't think you need that high-end and want to save even more money, I also highly recommend the new Nokia 8.1 with the new Snapdragon 7 series chip.

Yeah I'd agree, I'm somebody who uses my phone an awful lot, but for most people it really would make no difference.

One of my big things was that simply I never found Android user friendly, not that I am technologically poor but I just didn't like the look. But now I must say it seems snappier and better to use.

And as far as the money goes, stuff like the Mate 20 Pro is less than £600 here, I'd happily buy that up front as opposed to double for the iPhone or Note!

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Yeah I'd agree, I'm somebody who uses my phone an awful lot, but for most people it really would make no difference.

One of my big things was that simply I never found Android user friendly, not that I am technologically poor but I just didn't like the look. But now I must say it seems snappier and better to use.

And as far as the money goes, stuff like the Mate 20 Pro is less than £600 here, I'd happily buy that up front as opposed to double for the iPhone or Note!
I've owned several generations (7, 8, 9 and 10) of Huawei Mate's over the years and can highly recommend them for most people. The main reason I moved away from Mate's which I've used over the past 5 or so years is that I tinker with Android Development and I also mess around with a lot of different roms which means I need the bootloader unlock codes that Huawei stopped providing last year. You can still get a bootloader code unofficially from 3rd party's but it costs (last time I checked) $55 USD for a single device. Hence I why I got the OnePlus 6T shipped in from the UK instead of the Mate 20. (Cost about $900AUD)

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Sorry to bump a couple week old thread but I'm in this camp too. iPhones don't seem to be innovative anymore and in fact seem to lack some features that huawei and Samsung have had for quite some time (like wireless charging etc)
I'm looking at getting a new phone now and the huawei p20 and Samsung galaxys both look like they're the best ones?