• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LOGAN
  • The best possible movie we could've gotten for the final chapter in the Wolverine trilogy
  • Trades in the usual superhero tropes for a neo-noir thriller
  • A satisfying send-off for Hugh Jackman's performance as Logan and a star-making performance from Dafne Keene
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2
  • An MCU sequel that avoids dropping the ball like Iron Man 2, Thor: The Dark World, and Age of Ultron all did
  • Added genuine pathos for characters that were underwritten in the first like Gamora, Nebula, & Yondu
  • Has the first non-Loki villain that people actually enjoyed
WONDER WOMAN
  • Single-handedly saved the DCEU after BvS + SS
  • Came through with one of the best action scenes in a cape film in years (No Man's Land)
  • Great performances from Gal Gadot and Chris Pine as Diana & Steve
SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING
  • Easily the best Spidey movie since Sam Raimi's 2004 masterpiece
  • Ditches the slapstick of the Avengers/Guardians movies for a much more sardonic sense of humor (Zendaya kills it especially)
  • Arguably has the best MCU villain, period
THOR: RAGNAROK
  • Taika Waiti turned this from everyone's least favorite MCU franchise to a top 5 MCU movie
  • Almost every new character is a scene-stealer
  • Has cameos and appearances from other Marvel heroes and made them natural and not feel forced at all

Five movies, all kicked ass IMO. That's a pretty good year by any set of standards.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's five out of six, but I think of Justice League manages to at least be decent/cross the 70 RT score it is likely to be the best. I still need to see Thor 3: The Dark World 2, but I've loved the other four.

Taurus Silver

Big ol' Nerd
Oct 29, 2017
I've seen everything except Thor and Logan. So yeah I would say this is the best year. Spidey, WW and GG2 were all great.

How was Logan? I haven't seen any of his standalone movies except the first 1 which was like7 or 8 years ago.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Nothing can beat the duology of The Dark Knight and Iron Man in 2008. Both are among the very best of superhero movies.

2017 had some entries that were "good", but nothing even remotely top-of-all-time worthy. Thor was probably the best, but only as a comedy, not as much as a "superhero" movie. It felt more like a parody of one.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
GotG 2 was decent, but wasn't the villain one of the things many considered to be weak?

I liked the deeper character stuff, but it did come across a bit overly sentimental after a while.

But then, even if this is an example of an average super hero movie that doesn't exactly disqualify the OP's premise.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
It's been a damn great year...but 2008 still wins for me: The Dark Knight, Iron Man and Hellboy 2.

OP
OP
Bronx-Man

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GotG 2 was decent, but wasn't the villain one of the things many considered to be weak?

I liked the deeper character stuff, but it did come across a bit overly sentimental after a while.

But then, even if this is an example of an average super hero movie that doesn't exactly disqualify the OP's premise.
I remember a lot of posters back at The Other Place talking about how they loved Ego in Vol 2.

GUTS

Oct 26, 2017
I guess so. You should've mentioned Logan though, movie was awesome.

Wonder Woman was alright for me. The movie stood out because it's miles better than the other DCEU movies.

Schnee

Oct 25, 2017
If we count Lego Batman then we're 6 for 6.

I hope JL is at least good (but being JL it should be nothing short of great) despite feeling that everything so far looks like a mixed bag at best.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
I am probably one of the few people who thinks GOTG2 is one of the weakest marvel films. A lot the jokes didn't land, the characters feel like caricatures of themselves, Ego's dialogue is soley exposition based, and I just found myself really bored with what was going on.

In terms of MCU sequels, I would easily take Age of Ultron over GOTG2.

Maybe I just have bad taste because I thought Wonder Woman was mediocre too. I really liked Spider-Man Homecoming though.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I would agree that it's been the best year for superhero films. But as far as your statement about villains in the MCU, I thought Zemo was a better villain than Ego or Vulture.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love how you made this before Justice League comes out. Regardless yea, helluva good year.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Add to the OP:

The Lego Batman Movie
-
Love letter to all forms of Batman, from obscure but fun references like including batman villains like Kite Man, Calendar Man and The Condiment King, casting Billy Dee Williams as Two-Face, and even the Shark Repellant Spray.
- It provides a great spin on Batman (done by Will Arnett) and has a good message about the importance of family.
- The rest of the supporting cast as well all do solo jobs, shout outs to Michael Cera as Robin, Ralph Finnes as Alfred and espicially Zach Galifianakis as The Joker.

Certainly don't give a pass on this film, track it down if you haven't seen it. It's a treat to all Batman Fans.

And yeah, it's pretty strong overall. I didn't like Wonder Woman (The final act just ruins the whole movie for me, it's that bad). But everything else I have really enjoyed. Lets just hope Justice League doesn't ruin things as that's the last major Superhero movie of the year.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I dunno man, most of these were fun 7/10s for me, which I guess is fine. Logan's the only one that really resonated with me in a huge way.

I guess if Justice League is a 6/10 at least that'll mean the whole year didn't have any bad superhero films, which is great.

Darth Finky Spunky

Banned for using alt accounts
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2017 has more "solid" super hero movies released with less duds but 2008 unleashed 2 GOATs with tons of duds (punisher, hancock)

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's a pretty good year when there are five the only misstep is GOTG2 (which itself is fine, just a disappointment after the first).

Justice League can still mess up the streak though.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
Logan is by far and away the best comicbook film this year, and I don't even think it's close. An excellent narrative, the best cinematography since the TDK trilogy, raw and brutal action, some of the best acting in a cbm, well paced with some excellent quiet moments, and emotional scenes are given weight and time to sink in.

Last edited:

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
It hasn't topped 2008, Dark Knight and Iron Man in the same summer was something else.

I would say Logan is better than Iron Man.

Obadiah's plan never made sense at the end. What would putting on the suit and trying to kill Tony and Pepper accomplish? The shield agents all knew Obadiah was bad by then, so killing Tony wouldn't change a thing. The whole final fight in Iron Man feels forced and logically speaking doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Probably. Even though I have some issues with Logan and Lego Batman and did not care for Guardians at all.
For me, it's hard to top 2008 and the Dark Knight + Hellboy 2 combo. Yes, I omitted something.

Still, it's nice to see that the genre is in such a healthy state, and that the big three (Marvel, Fox, DC) have all released some really good cape flicks this year, regardless of whatever the fuck is gonna happen with Justice League.

Next year should also be pretty good on all fronts, between Black Panther, Aquaman and New Mutants.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I think they all have flaws, if we're being honest, but it's a year where we not only are getting 3 MCU films a year for the first time and 2 DCEU films for the second year in a row, but that there were no flat out critical duds (assuming JL pulls it together at the finishline).

There is something to be said about the overall quality for the year, but I think the bigger story is the consistency. Fox and WB have finally started showing more hints that, as studios, they could put out films with the quality/consistency that can compete with Marvel Studios, and Marvel have shown once again that they are the hit makers.

Marvel turned an unknown property like GotG into a massive property that is big enough to have a ride in Disney's own themepark. Thor was not only made into a success franchise but even as it stumbled, they have been able to reinvent it into something fresher, more vibrant, and more exciting than ever before. They even successfully worked their magic on the franchise fatigue setting in after several disappointing Spider-Man films, and did it while working with another studio who was responsible for those same films. Things are looking especially bright for Marvel Studios especially as they've finally gotten out from under the thumb of Perlmutter and it seems to have only been paying even more dividends.

If WB can show that WW wasn't an anomaly and Fox can follow up Logan and Deadpool with more films that skew towards good than bad to medicore, I think everyone wins.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
It's been fine, of those I've seen so far. Not great, just fine.

I didn't fawn over Logan as most did. Although it was a solid film, just far from a favorite or rewatch able.

GotG2 I still need to see. Is the 3D BluRay still happening?

WW was both entertaining and clunky. Though I did choke up a bit at 'that' scene.

Homecoming...eh. It was nice having 'fun and enthusiastic' Parker after the horrendous Amazing films, but even my suspension of disbelief was tested at the logic holes throughout. My eyes were entertained, but my brain was in WTF mode beyond my usual deep limits of allowance.

Thor looks fun, seeing this week.

So maybe Thor and GotG2 will change my tune?

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yes.

Thor Ragnarok and Spider-Man Homecoming among my top ten films ever.

Wonder Woman, Logan and Guardians Vol.2 were all great.

Even if Justice League sucks I'll still say yes. But if it's good then I question if this year can ever be topped.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
2014 was pretty good imo. GotG, Winter Soldier, DoFP and DC didn't release anything.

2010 had Super and Kick-Ass which are both great. I also think that Iron Man 2 is pretty underrated. I don't really get why it wasn't liked more at the time. Sam Rockwell was great in it.

2008 with TDK, Hellboy 2 and Iron Man is a strong contender. Wanted was pretty good fun, and I kinda liked Hancock until it lost the plot halfway through.

I didn't care much for Wonder Woman, for me it was good rather than great, but yeah I'd say this year is very strong as far as the rest are concerned (not seen Thor 3 yet though).

Edit: shoutout for 2000, which had X-Men, Unbreakable, Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker and The Specials.

Last edited:

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
2014 was pretty good imo. GotG, Winter Soldier, DoFP and DC didn't release anything.

2010 had Super and Kick-Ass which are both great. I also think that Iron Man 2 is pretty underrated. I don't really get why it wasn't liked more at the time. Sam Rockwell was great in it.

2008 with TDK, Hellboy 2 and Iron Man is a strong contender. I kinda liked Hancock until it lost the plot halfway through.

I didn't care much for Wonder Woman, for me it was good rather than great, but yeah I'd say this year is very strong as far as the rest are concerned (not seen Thor 3 yet though).

Some good cases being made. Agreed that Rockwell was a gem that made IM2 deserving of more credit. Though I couldn't enjoy Hellboy 2 and found it a bit too immature and I gave up on it about halfway in on rental.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've only seen two thus far. WW was fantastic and Homecoming was aggressively mediocre.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017

2008 with TDK, Hellboy 2 and Iron Man is a strong contender. I kinda liked Hancock until it lost the plot halfway through.

I thought Super was one of the worst films that came out in 2010. Doesn't help that Kick Ass came out in the same year and did a similiar premise much better.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I thought Super was one of the worst films that came out in 2010. Doesn't help that Kick Ass came out in the same year and did a similiar premise much better.
I liked it. They are superficially pretty similar, but I think they are actually quite different movies. Super is much more of a character study, whereas Kick-Ass is more of a deconstruction of comic books (and by extension comic book movies).

Defendor from 2009 was a very similar premise (and a decent movie in it's own right).

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also think that Iron Man 2 is pretty underrated. I don't really get why it wasn't liked more at the time. Sam Rockwell was great in it.

The main villain was terrible, had a dumb accent, ugly design and did very, very little.

People talked over each other a lot, I guess it was supposed to look like improv but it's a chore to sit through.

Everything after the race scene is forgettable, dull and disjointed.

And it had way too much time devoted to scenes teasing the upcoming Avengers which don't serve the plot and bring the film to a screeching halt repeatedly.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I just rewatched GotG2. Every time I see this movie I like it even more. I still have to see Homecoming and Thor.

Wonder Woman was good... but yeah nothing comes close to GotG to me.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Agreed, I loved pretty much every comic book movie that came out this year. Hopefully Justice League turns out to be good so 2017 can go 6 for 6 (7 for 7 counting Lego Batman, which was surprisingly fun).

As for Guardians Vol. 2, just like Vol. 1, it holds up really well in re-watches (cue the avatar quotes).

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe I'm living in a world where I'm more hyped for a Thor sequel than I am a Spider-man (well maybe this is easy to believe) and Justice League movie. Totally crazy.

Justice League does remain to be seen though and I feel like it could go either way. Other than it has been a great year for Super Hero movies.

Samimista

Oct 25, 2017
It hasn't topped 2008, Dark Knight and Iron Man in the same summer was something else.

Even though, I prefer Batman Begins over The Dark Knight and being that it's my favorite CBM film, I do agree with this. I was watching The Dark Knight the other day, and was thinking how it'll be ten in July. Hard to believe.

Also, add Hellboy 2 into that mix.

Anyways, this year was still great for superheroes as well. I still haven't seen Thor, but I loved Wonder Woman and Logan. Homecoming I thought was kinda average.

DonShula

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing to me that none of these movies have been duds. Not much of a theater-goer, but this year has had me in the theater quite a bit, and I've not been disappointed.

Worst for my tastes was GotGv2, but most here aren't having any part of that.

Want to see JL but I'm going to wait for reviews before deciding. WW wasn't enough to redeem DC alone.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
WONDER WOMAN
  • Single-handedly saved the DCEU after BvS + SS
Even as someone who liked (Didn't love, granted) Wonder Woman..

tumblr_o8rx12Zsb51qep51no1_400.gif