• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly jealous of your ability to enjoy and even love that movie. I've tried twice and didn't make it 15 minutes either time.
That's okay! I'm more than happy to love it enough for the both of us :)

Six, actually:

The-LEGO-Batman-Movie-2017-cover-250x350.jpg
Yupp, Lego Batman solidifies that this wasn't the best year for superhero movies. I hated Lego Batman.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
It's among one of them, but for me, 2014 is better.

Guardians of the Galaxy, Winter Soldier, and Days of Future Past are all top 5 material for me.

Of what we got this year, I would say Logan is top 5 and the rest are just good.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Great thread, Bronx-Man and I couldn't agree more. I'll just repost what I've said on the Thor: Ragnarok Spoilers thread and on BoxOfficeTheory:

This is definitely the best year for superhero films, never mind what happens with Justice League and removing my attachment to those characters completely, we never had a year like this one before. It's just insane. Our "absolute bliss" problems is that this year my "Top superheroes list" got completely screwed up, whatever I say about "what's my favorite film" is bollocks because the truth is that I don't think I can actually rank Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man: Homecoming and Thor: Ragnarok.

What I can say is this:

Guardians Vol. 2 and 1 are the two films in the superhero genre that hit me the most in a personal level, more than anything else ever.

Wonder Woman is a masterpiece and the right film at the right time. I don't think a superhero film has made me more proud than this one.

Spider-Man: Homecoming is the best Spider-Man film ever made and while I see Spider-Man 2 tied with it, it's a Spider-Man for a new generation, it's a Spider-Man that is more true to the Spider-Man that I know since I was a kid and it makes me at the same time happy as fuck and feeling old as fuck.

Thor: Ragnarok is an absolute joy and made me actually a hardcore Thor fan, just like Iron Man and Captain America: The Winter Soldier made me a hardcore fan of those characters. I already was a hardcore Hulk fan, but I don't think we ever had a Hulk as much fleshed out as we got here, it makes me excited as fuck for the future and proves that all bets are off when it comes to Marvel Studios future of these characters. They aren't afraid of hard calls and stakes and holy fuck I fucking love ALL the villains from Marvel Studios since Civil War's Zemo.

I can't rank these films. That's the truth. I just can't. They are way too important for me to even try that. I love Logan, I love what Jackman did as a love letter to Wolverine and even though it's my least favorite film, EVERYTHING ELSE is literally tied. That's my "problem" with superhero films this year. I love them all, I don't know what is better and most of all, I don't care what's better because all of them are way too important to me for different reasons.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Shoot I'll agree OP. I still need to watch Wonder Woman but yeah all the other movies are fantastic and among the best in their respective series.

Hopefully JL keeps that trend up.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hmm, on one hand 2008 had TDK and iron man and those movies besides being super good cbms are kinda important in cinema. And this year had gotg 2 which was huge disappointment, wonder woman which was just middle of the road origina movie. I guess homecoming was decent?, not seen Thor. Oh and Logan. Logan for me is equally as good and in some ways even better than tdk and iron man, so I guess 2017 was a better year?

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was a great year yeah
I really liked GOTG2 when I saw it, but looking back at it, Thor Ragnarok does about the same thing better. Better humor, better pace, better action. GOTG2 tried a bit too hard and some things fell flat (doesn't help that I can't stand running gags like kid groot), still some great bits and jokes (the zune one had me rolling)

I expect justice league to suck, but every year needs its bad CBM

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
It's been a good year, but Blade 2 came out in 2002.

Spider-Man was the same year as well (for whatever that's worth).

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, none of the aforementioned movies have been that great. It's a year with a lot of superhero movies but none truly outstanding ones tbh. Nolan's Batman trilogy far surpasses anything that came out this year for example, but even Kick-Ass does the wacky superhero trope better than most movies nowadays. It doesn't help that suddenly they started a billion new superhero TV shows (Netflix's series, Inhumans, etc.) and it feels like they're trying to milk this cow insanely hard while they can, before the superhero business will no longer interest so many people. They sure have started losing me, it's insane that there seems to be something new to catch-up to just about every month. And honeslty it's a shame most movies and shows simply lack the ball to do something different: Batman vs Superman was a mess for a variety of reasons, but if it was directed better it had the potential to be better than any Marvel movie that plays it safe. Instead of making a more coherent movie that explains shit better and doesn't feel like a TV show recap, they decided to double down on the wacky Avengers-style one liners and make Justice League like half as long as BvS. Chances are it'll fare better with the reviews but I've got the feeling they're dumbing it down to please the masses to avoid failing yet again. For all its shortcomings, I'd rather see a movie try something slightly different (see Suicide Squad) than "masculine hero with his one liners saves the day again and bangs the chick at the end part 78" tbh.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Scust at the Suicide Squad and X-Men mentions in this thread.

Yeah, 2017 has been pretty good so far. Best Spider-Man film, best Thor film, best X-Men film, a great GotG film and a great Wonder Woman film. Too bad Justice League is gonna be the combo breaker.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Scust at the Suicide Squad and X-Men mentions in this thread.

Yeah, 2017 has been pretty good so far. Best Spider-Man film, best Thor film, best X-Men film, a great GotG film and a great Wonder Woman film. Too bad Justice League is gonna be the combo breaker.

I still have some hope. Joss Whedon coming to help WB to turn the ship around to the right direction would put him in a legendary status. I mean, from my point of view this is bigger than JJ Abrams being the one to bring both Star Trek and Star Wars into relevance. I actually legit need him paired together for Justice League 2 if the first film succeeds.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, none of the aforementioned movies have been that great. It's a year with a lot of superhero movies but none truly outstanding ones tbh. Nolan's Batman trilogy far surpasses anything that came out this year for example, but even Kick-Ass does the wacky superhero trope better than most movies nowadays. It doesn't help that suddenly they started a billion new superhero TV shows (Netflix's series, Inhumans, etc.) and it feels like they're trying to milk this cow insanely hard while they can, before the superhero business will no longer interest so many people. They sure have started losing me, it's insane that there seems to be something new to catch-up to just about every month. And honeslty it's a shame most movies and shows simply lack the ball to do something different: Batman vs Superman was a mess for a variety of reasons, but if it was directed better it had the potential to be better than any Marvel movie that plays it safe. Instead of making a more coherent movie that explains shit better and doesn't feel like a TV show recap, they decided to double down on the wacky Avengers-style one liners and make Justice League like half as long as BvS. Chances are it'll fare better with the reviews but I've got the feeling they're dumbing it down to please the masses to avoid failing yet again. For all its shortcomings, I'd rather see a movie try something slightly different (see Suicide Squad) than "masculine hero with his one liners saves the day again and bangs the chick at the end part 78" tbh.

I felt more watching Guardians 2 and Spider-Man then I ever felt for Batman and Superman in the DCEU. I actually gave a crap about what happens to these people as opposed to mild indifference.

It doesn't matter if you try something different if the end resault bores you to tears.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't matter if you try something different if the end resault bores you to tears.

I totally agree with this, in fact I also enjoyed Guardians 2 more than DC movies, but then again that one is different enough from the other Marvel movies sort of. From a hype standpoint however I'm more interested in a movie that tries something new that yet another identical Marvel movie with a formula that rarely ever changed since Iron Man in 2008 (?). I was really hoping that with a big and epic storyline like Civil War they'd go balls to the wall and change everything, but they really just followed the formula, even limiting the conflict to make sure you don't start disliking either side, toning down the ending as well so that nobody is disappointed. With the budgets and popularity they have I so wish for them to start doing something new but they don't.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Eh guardians 2 really dropped the ball imo

It plays it way too damn safe and I was honestly bored with where the plot was going.

Wonder woman was good but not as great hail merry people are sprouting about.

Will see Thor this week though

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Yes I believe it is. Watching Thor today and from the list I didn't like GOTG 2, the comedy was nowhere near the first movie. Now lets hope that Justice League doesn't disappoint

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Really liked all of them apart from Thor but that's because i haven't seen it yet! Going tonight.

Got2 being a big suprise for me as I kept hearing it wasn't as good as the first but it blew me away. Probably my favourite Marvel film.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
It's seven films technically, if you count
Split
. But yeah, it's a pretty good year. Though Logan is the only truly excellent one IMO. Also, I thought Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was really mediocre, Thor: Ragnarok does everything GotG2 sets out to do much better.

This should really use the average rating instead of the Rottentomatoes score, because this just tells me most reviewers liked these films, not how good they are. A film scoring only 6/10's will be 100% on RottenTomatoes, but nobody would call it one of the best movies of the year.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
It's definitely the best year for superhero movies for me and I haven't even seen Thor yet. Just amazing all around.