• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
Like the title says, is this the first generation in a while to not have "Greatest Hits" releases? Personally, I don't miss them. I always hated the look of the boxes, especially the PS3 ones which used red plastic cases instead of the clearer ones. I hated them so much, that if I could not find an older version of a game I wouldn't buy the Greatest Hit version. They just stuck out like a sore thumb. I wouldn't mind a return of those game if all they did to signify its status as a Greatest Hit was a sticker on top of the plastic wrap, as I assume some good deals on good games would be had.

Also, by this time last generation, PS3 already had a total redesign of their boxes, with the PlayStation logo going from vertical to horizontal on the front. I definitely preferred the redesign and wish they went with that from the get-go.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
They might not technically exist but if you go to Best Buy or whatever you'll see an entire rack of sub $20 new PS4 games. Really isn't the need to just print up a new label for the sake of it. And yeah I'm glad they don't because they're hideous.

KB

Oct 25, 2017
If "this generation" is the PS4/XB1/Wii U/Vita/3DS generation, then no, the Nintendo Selects branding has been around for years.

Edit: In case you meant Playstation only, ignore this post.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Now that consoles are starting to hit $200 we might see them. Pretty sure we'll see Nintendo do it as well. I have a feeling they'll have a higher physical rate.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I've seen a few Xbox One games that have a sticker like this:

91dh8TcNzrL._SX342_.jpg

But the sticker is just on the shrink wrap and not the game itself. Other than that, I haven't seen anything.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Prices are slashed so fast AAA publishers have no need for these. Nintendo still does it for 3DS and will probably have it in the future for Switch re-releases.

Brock

Oct 28, 2017
Pewter City Gym
I miss the days of Platinum releases on the PS2. They allowed me to get some quality games at great prices when I was a kid. I could see publishers bringing it back to highlight and promote sales of certain games towards parents and consumers who aren't as aware of the gaming industry.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Greatest Hits exists in Asia, although it appears it's just a sticker they slap on the box.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony Europe knew they could never top the ugly as sin PS3 Platinum boxes so they killed the entire Platinum / Greatest Hits release thing

226877-uncharted-2-among-thieves-playstation-3-front-cover.png

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Yeah I'm glad they are gone, because on PS in particular they gave you a branded ugly as sin box and a disc without art (at least on pal PS2).

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Almost monthly digital deals killed those editions. Good riddance. I still shudder at those PS3 yellow covers.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
Good riddance, they were always butt-ugly.

PS1 "Platinum" releases (for PAL regions) weren't too bad, being that they simply replaced the black Playstation banner with silver, nothing near as bad as the NTSC's "Greatest Hits" line with it's clashing red and green colour scheme. The biggest issue was that they completely took away the game's disc art, replacing it with a generic grey disc, making the game inside look like some demo disc:
ps1-rayman_2_1.jpg

I guess that isn't such a huge loss, but a few games (notably multi-disc games) had some very beautiful disc art that was lost in the process. Look at the PAL and Japanese release of Final Fantasy IX, with each disc having a separate coloured graphic:

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
I feel as though that as we get closer to the end of the generation, they will pop up again if they already haven't.

Goose Se7en

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you OP that the PS3 Greatest Hits boxes did stick out like a sore thumb, but I just don't think they're necessary seeing as digital/physics copies of games are on sale so often like others have mentioned.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo still does this with the Selects line, but the Switch hasn't been out a year yet.