• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think?

• It is the worst time to build a gaming PC

Votes: 293 30.9%
  • If you keep thinking like this, you will never build your system

Votes: 504 53.1%
  • It's actually the best time to build a gaming PC

Votes: 83 8.7%
  • Just get a PS5 and Series X

Votes: 69 7.3%

• Total voters

WEGGLES

Oct 30, 2017
There's really no way to know right now what the GPU market in September will be. Will it be a repeat of the 10xx series and everything will be priced competitively, or will it be a repeat of the 20xx series where Nvidia just says "fuck it, we have a monopoly" and jacks up the prices along with performance.
Very true, and I have a good card from a good brand in my budget. Who knows, maybe everything will be hard to get around cyberpunk launch.
🙂

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Very true, and I have a good card from a good brand in my budget. Who knows, maybe everything will be hard to get around cyberpunk launch.
🙂

It's entirely possible. It was a pain in the ass when the 10xx series came out. Happened the same time as the RX 4xx launch. Was a pain to find anything at retail price or at all. Maybe it will bring down the price of the older series of cards, but Nvidia has shown some unwillingness to drop prices lately.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Unless some good cheap cards with hardware raytracing come out by the end of the year, it's seeming like buying a next gen console might simply be the most cost effective gaming option.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Only the video card will be of importance. DDR5 won't be out until like 2021 and incredibly expensive to begin with (and not much of an improvement compared to price premium) , USB-C is just starting to become universal so USB 4 won't be important for a long time to come, PCI express 5.0 will be a complete non factor aside from NVMe drive speed and the initial drives will be incredibly overpriced and mostly not noticeably improved aside from benchmarking. So building a computer now is just fine, you'll just want to upgrade the video card eventually. Plus, SSD drives and memory prices could potentially skyrocket if shortages happen as predicted.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The worst time to build a PC was when video cards were hard to find because of bitcoin and altcoin mining. A bunch of components were way too expensive then as well.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
  • RTX cards these days are still in its infancy, and it would be better to wait for next gen
  • HDMI 2.1 is going to be very important
  • PCI 5.0/6.0 is coming out very soon
  • USB 4.0 is also coming out very soon
  • DDR5 is also coming out very soon
An RTX 2070S will easily carry you through most of nextgen.

What does HDMI 2.1 have that DP doesnt? If its resolutions DP already does 8K, your GPU wont be pushing out 8K anytime soon so dont worry about that.

PCI 5 and 6 are not coming out "very" soon....how many 4.0 devices have you even seen?

USB 4.0 has been "coming soon" for so long its not even something I would hold out building a PC for.
If you really need USB 4 speed get a motherboard with Thunderbolt and call it a day.

DDR5 seriously? Might as well wait for AM5 or whatever AMD calls its next socket.
Kinda depends on how long you plan to keep the PC as is. Personally I'd hold out for HDMI 2.1 cards, the other stuff I don't care about.
I ask again what does HDMI 2.1 have that would make people hold out building a machine in hopes that the next gen cards will have it.
And if they dont no deal.

This is all I'm waiting for. HDMI 2.1 TVs with 4K/120Hz and VRR are becoming commonplace as of this year and it would be silly to spend a lot of money on a video card that couldn't use those features.

AMD and Nvidia take note. HDMI 2.0b ain't gonna cut it for Next-Gen NAVI and RTX3000. HDMI 2.1 or I keep waiting. Hell, even a X1X from 2017 had more advanced HDMI output than the latest PC GPU cards. Embarrassing.

As for the rest of it, no need to wait. Zen 2 is awesome, the 570 motherboards are awesome with the PCIe 4.0

More talk of this HDMI 2.1, did I miss a memo some time where HDMI 2.1 was absolutely the must have feature for a graphics card when DP has been king shit for a while?

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
General rule of thumb is to get whatever you can afford and is available right now. Unless something is coming out in like a month or something I think it makes sense to just accept what you have.

If there ever is that big of a leap (basically never) then you can always upgrade.

Also keep in mind devs usually target mid range systems. See people on Steam mostly playing at 1080p using cards that are several years old.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
An RTX 2070S will easily carry you through most of nextgen.

What does HDMI 2.1 have that DP doesnt? If its resolutions DP already does 8K, your GPU wont be pushing out 8K anytime soon so dont worry about that.

PCI 5 and 6 are not coming out "very" soon....how many 4.0 devices have you even seen?

USB 4.0 has been "coming soon" for so long its not even something I would hold out building a PC for.
If you really need USB 4 speed get a motherboard with Thunderbolt and call it a day.

DDR5 seriously? Might as well wait for AM5 or whatever AMD calls its next socket.

I ask again what does HDMI 2.1 have that would make people hold out building a machine in hopes that the next gen cards will have it.
And if they dont no deal.

More talk of this HDMI 2.1, did I miss a memo some time where HDMI 2.1 was absolutely the must have feature for a graphics card when DP has been king shit for a while?
HDMI 2.1 isn't helpful for monitors, just TVs. So mostly relevant to people like me who hook up their PC to both a TV and a monitor. But I'm not buying a new TV anytime soon since I had to replace mine in 2019 and TV manufactures rarely make premium TVs below 55 (sometimes 49 inch) and the perfect TV size for my office is 43 inches. So even in my case, I am in no rush for hdmi 2.1 as I'll just use my monitor for any game that supports ultrawidescreen at 144 Hz, which displayport does just fine.

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Don't tell me console players wouldn't want to build a super efficient, powerful PC, that's the sacrifice they make when choosing a PS5, or Switch 2.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Naah mate, I'm getting a 2080 super as soon as possible, I wanna be ready for Half Life: Alyx. In general I learned that waiting never works out, there's always something new around the corner and if you keep waiting you end up missing on a bunch of stuff just because you were chasing that illusive dragon.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
HDMI 2.1 isn't helpful for monitors, just TVs. So mostly relevant to people like me who hook up their PC to both a TV and a monitor. But I'm not buying a new TV anytime soon since I had to replace mine in 2019 and TV manufactures rarely make premium TVs below 55 (sometimes 49 inch) and the perfect TV size for my office is 43 inches. So even in my case, I am in no rush for hdmi 2.1 as I'll just use my monitor for any game that supports ultrawidescreen at 144 Hz, which displayport does just fine.

So what are the advantages of HDMI 2.1 for TV owners?
I legit aint got a clue, I jumped to DP some time ago and never looked back...but I keep hearing about HDMI 2.1 like its the second coming and feel like im missing something because even the spec sheet doesnt look like magic.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I legit aint got a clue, I jumped to DP some time ago and never looked back...but I keep hearing about HDMI 2.1 like its the second coming and feel like im missing something because even the spec sheet doesnt look like magic.

It can do 10k at 120fps. Considering 4k gaming isn't worth it for the most part I say holding out for it is pointless at this point.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Main benefit is variable refresh rate like Gsync for pc. It also supports up to 8k but more importantly 4k 120 Hz. So you can have console games running up to 120 Hz / 120 fps and when the frame rate drops you won't really notice due to VRR / Gsync making the frame rate match the refresh rate of the TV. But I do wonder if most PS5 games aim for 30 fps then it won't matter as I don't know what range VRR works. My monitor does gsync only for 40 Hz/fps and up.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
It can do 10k at 120fps. Considering 4k gaming isn't worth it for the most part I say holding out for it is pointless at this point.
Hdmi 2.1 is capped at 8k/60. 10k/120 might come with 2.1b or even 2.4, 3.0 or whatever they decide to call the next step.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Right when a new generational leap of Xbox or PS is coming out.

We already have processors and GPUs more powerful than the XBSX and the PS5.

Good chance Ampere drops before the nextgen machines arrive....PC gamers have very little to be worried about.

With more and more console games going PC as well, even if you have to wait a while to get the PC version, you will be getting the definitive edition eventually.

Main benefit is variable refresh rate like Gsync for pc. It also supports up to 8k but more importantly 4k 120 Hz. So you can have console games running up to 120 Hz / 120 fps and when the frame rate drops you won't really notice due to VRR / Gsync making the frame rate match the refresh rate of the TV. But I do wonder if most PS5 games aim for 30 fps then it won't matter as I don't know what range VRR works. My monitor does gsync only for 40 Hz/fps and up.

Wait but if you have a PC why would you need your TV to do the work.
I get it for consoles but your PC can already do variable refresh rates with pretty much anything made relatively recently.

Someone holding out buying a GPU because of HDMI 2.1 seems weirder and weirder the more I find out what exactly it is....when we already have DP ready for action.
4K at 120 has been a DP standard for a while.
Maybe TV manufacturers need to put DP ports on their TVs

Did you say 10K at 120Hz.....hahahaha.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
It feels like a bad time but who knows. Maybe (probably?) the new cards come out with insane prices and the old ones stay about the same?

I'm just buying the best card I can get for 500€ when Cyberpunk comes out.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
the worse time was when the RAM and GPU prices were through the roof due to crypto.

Now its not the best time, but I'd wait at the very least until all the new GPUs, CPUs, etc. are released later this year or wait till next year. Tech always advances, you can't have the "what if" situation

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I was wondering the same thing. I have a perfectly capable gaming PC now, but it's getting old. I want the next one, which I'll build sometime this year, to have a GPU capable of running next gen games with raytracing. Maybe I'll just build it, but plan to upgrade the GPU next year.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

Good chance Ampere drops before the nextgen machines arrive....PC gamers have very little to be worried about.

With more and more console games going PC as well, even if you have to wait a while to get the PC version, you will be getting the definitive edition eventually.

I get it for consoles but your PC can already do variable refresh rates with pretty much anything made relatively recently.

Someone holding out buying a GPU because of HDMI 2.1 seems weirder and weirder the more I find out what exactly it is....when we already have DP ready for action.

That's what this article says. Is it out of date?

www.google.com

HDMI 2.1: What you need to know

HDMI 2.1 can unlock better graphics on the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5.

Edit: so it turns out 10k is only for specialty AV solutions, not for consumers.

HDMI 2.1 Feature - 8K60 / 4K120 Resolution

'HDMI 2.1' '8K', 8KTV, 8k@60, 8K Gaming, 8K Broadcast, 8K NHK, 8K Olympics,, HDMI 2.1b

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
That's what this article says. Is it out of date?

www.google.com

HDMI 2.1: What you need to know

HDMI 2.1 can unlock better graphics on the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5.

Edit: so it turns out 10k is only for specialty AV solutions, not for consumers.

HDMI 2.1 Feature - 8K60 / 4K120 Resolution

'HDMI 2.1' '8K', 8KTV, 8k@60, 8K Gaming, 8K Broadcast, 8K NHK, 8K Olympics,, HDMI 2.1b

Ohh I believe you.
Just that 10K at 120Hz seems like something no "consumer" would actually be expecting any time soon, so saying I aint buying a graphics card unless it has HDMI 2.1 cuz I need to hit 10K at 120Hz.
I dont think ill even be able to hammer 4K60 with 2021 games with a RTX 3070

closer

Oct 25, 2017
I am absolutely in the same position, pretty happy with most of the parts ive bought but with the gpu i need to wait on both the nvidia/amd announcements (for potential (rtx future-proofed) cards and for potential price reductions on current 8 gb cards) and also for cyberpunk to release it's specs.

This isnt even mentioning potential new monitors and all that, ughhhhh

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Holding off myself, was about to buy a 2080ti machine but decided to sit on the money because CP got pushed back, i'll wait as long as that delay to upgrade

Mr. Parrot

Apr 16, 2018
If you are constantly moving around and aren't going to be staying in one place too often, getting a gaming laptop rocks.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely the worst time to buy a laptop. They already age like milk, and with new machines on the horizon, there's gonna be a huge performance gap between the old and new.

If you build a desktop now, at the very least you can sell a barely-used GPU on Ebay or Craigslist at a small loss if it turns out the new cards are substantially better. It's an incredibly bad idea, but it is an option, which is why I bring it up. The Ryzen 3000 series is really powerful, and if you get a 3600 or 3700, you'll be comfortably set for the demand in CPU power the new console gen will bring.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017

Most TV manufacturers wont add DP to their TVs, that is the main reason for HDMI 2.1. I did look up some info, the VRR might only be in the range of 48-120 Hz for 4k resolutions, which means it wont even be relevant for any PS5 game that target 30 FPS.... The spec I saw did work down to 20 Hz for 1080p resolution but it would be silly to run 1080p in 2020 onwards on a 4k TV. So VRR might actually be more useful for PC people who hook up their PC to a 4k TV and can achieve 48+ FPS in a game. Another aspect of HDMI 2.1 is improved HDR, but some high end TVs with HDMI 2.0 were even modified to support improved HDR with firmware updates. Oh another potential bummer, all the TVs below 55 inches (aside from the LG OLED 48-49? inch) will likely be 60 Hz panels still so HDMI 2.1 VRR will only work 48-60Hz for those TVs at 4k.

Last edited:

NeroPaige

Jan 8, 2018
I hate how amazon prices fluctuate lol.

I use that price tracker website to see prices and everytime they're at lows I'm not ready to buy. When I'm in the mood they're at highs (SSD's).

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017

Displayport is not and will never be available on TV sets. For those of us who want to hook up a PC for comfy couch gaming, we NEED HDMI 2.1 to get all the cool new features on our cool new TVs.
As a bonus, HDMI 2.1 solidifies and standardizes things like HDR and VRR which might have a trickle down effect to Windows, helping even Displayport users. HDMI 2.1 ports on the next gen of video cards should be cheered on by everyone.

Absent Uncle

Oct 25, 2017
Oslo
If you can wait, I would. New gpus soon, but a bigger thing mught be the new PSU standard coming later this year. Any PSU you buy now could end up being incompatible with your next motherboard as that huge 24 pin connector is being removed.
obviously it's up to motherboard manufacturers to adopt it, but I'd say it's looking likely

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
If you can, wait for the new GPUs then go ahead. Unless you're going to be upgrading again soon.

Oct 26, 2017
I am waiting since my 1060 is still going strong and I haven't had the need to go into 4k territory yet. 4K is still in its infancy and struggles with ray tracing. I am playing the waiting game as I have only had a gaming built pc for 4 years.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on what you want the system for but since future-proofing seems to be important to you it would be best to wait at this time. I built a new system in October last year but mainly to replace a system I had recently lost and future-proofing wasn't an immediate concern for me.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
I just build my rig in december and im really happy. Unless new GPUs are around the corner it doesnt really matter when you go for a pc.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
If you don't care about future proofing or doing that well go ahead but most are giving sound advice to be paitent till later in the year.

Either way you get would've could've had now for cheaper or you get better parts instead at similar prices.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If money does not matter then it is never really a bad time but if you are price conscious then there is absolutely a good and bad time of the year when to start a complete PC build.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you're this close to the console release and if you're rockin a 10 series card.... I'd probably skip Ampere and wait for Hopper. I dont normally get new PC hardware so close to a console launch. I usually wait for whatever new architectures are released right after a console launch. Plus I feel like MCM tech in GPUs is going to be bonkers in terms of raw performance gains. Rest in peace mGPU setups.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
If your building your own PC, you should be upgrading it over the years anyway. If the main concern is GPU, then it's a no brainer to build one now. You're better off buying a lesser GPU now and upgrading to a much better one in 2 years.