• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think?

• It is the worst time to build a gaming PC

Votes: 293 30.9%
  • If you keep thinking like this, you will never build your system

Votes: 504 53.1%
  • It's actually the best time to build a gaming PC

Votes: 83 8.7%
  • Just get a PS5 and Series X

Votes: 69 7.3%

• Total voters

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
I remember back in 2017 when I bought a PC with relatively low specs (Ryzen 5 1600, 16GB of Ram, 1060), thinking that I would upgrade once the good stuff (at the time I tought it was going to be Vega...) was out. I ended up keeping that PC for 2 years, without upgrading it. I sold it once I moved to a different country.

I want to buy a PC now, and even though CPU/RAM/SSD wise things are good, it bothers me that big Navi and the 3X00 series are coming out in a few months. But I know from experience that you keep thinking this way you simply will never get a PC. That means I'm probably getting a 3700x + 5700 xt. And if RT and big Navi become a must have, I'll bite and sell my card for one in a few months.

Do you need it now? If yes, does your budget allow you to get something that would last you for at least a couple of years? Then go for it. Otherwise, wait.

Oct 27, 2017
always wait for the next big thing :P

The next big thing this year is already obsolete because the next bigger thing are multi-chip module GPUs that are coming in 2021/2022.

69186_22_nvidia-next-gen-hopper-gpu-arrives-ampere-smash-intel-amd_full.jpg

It's like a quad-SLI in one GPU!

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The next big thing this year is already obsolete because the next bigger thing are multi-chip module GPUs that are coming in 2021/2022.

69186_22_nvidia-next-gen-hopper-gpu-arrives-ampere-smash-intel-amd_full.jpg

It's like a quad-SLI in one GPU!
I mean that's the joke about always waiting for the next big thing since something else is around the corner. The PC space moves quick so you just don't worry about it and build something today. Only wait if they're changing technology where you can't upgrade your parts because PCIe 4.0 won't fit into 3.0 or DDR4 instead of 3 etc.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Personally I always buy when new tech is released so that my purchase feels like i am buying something really new. That said i play in a desktop so I upgrade every 5-8 years a couple of components.

IMO if i were to buy a new PC i'd try to wait for the new GPU and seems if they meet my needs. If they don't i can still buy the old models.

If you live in a country with a nice 2nd hand market you can always buy now and re-sell it when the new GPU arrives.

Oct 27, 2017
I was just thinking of building a gaming PC because of Micro Center's build-your-own deals. The $80 ryzen 2600x deal was nuts, but I didn't see the GPU deals to match. I personally, can't justify upgrading from my GTX 1070 laptop of 2 years. However, it is a good time overall. My 7th gen i7 CPU is getting to be a bit of a bottleneck for my 144hz monitor but it's not like I can just swap over a laptop GPU.

Also on gaming laptops: Not sure if anyone mentioned this but there is a very good gaming laptop thread here. My gaming laptop has served me well. Looks pretty professional, minimal design, doesn't scream "gamer". Yeah it runs hot, yeah it's plugged in most of the time. I deal with it. Best PC I've ever had. Just keep in mind you're usually (not always) stuck with your initial specs.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Honestly, it depends what you are looking for. If you want a top-end 4K gaming setup, then you should probably wait and see what the new GPUs are gonna be like, and what the console specs will be, in terms of future-proofing.

If you are looking for a 1080p upgrade, then there's plenty of value for money to be had right now.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
If for no other reason than the inevitable price drop in a couple months on the current high end cards, I would say wait.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I don't foresee any majorly performance increasing tech besides new GPU tech within the next 2 years.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
PCIe 4/5, USB 4 or DDR5 are not going to be relevant to a gamer anytime soon.

However this is not a good time to build a PC because Ryzen 4000 series is coming later this year, new GPUs are coming with hopefully DP 2.0 and HDMI 2.1 support for future display tech. By the time those are out, you can either choose to spend less money on currently available stuff or buy the new thing.
Iaxu always has good, succinct advice. :)

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
I really think that right now, just before full hdmi2.1 any tech is a risky investment. Be it TV, AVR, PCs anything. The only sure bet is the next gen consoles. That is something I love about consoles. They offer stability.
So I will buy a ps5 next and then wait.

Having said that, I plan on making a huge upgrade in 2023. New TV, AVR, PC (and maybe ps5pro if it is ready by then). I am already saving up for that huge investment. A quick calculation brings me to around 5000€ which is a fuckton of money for me (considering it's just for entertainment), but slow and steady wins the race and I am pretty good at saving money. Just 3 more years to go...
I disagree; they offer the illusion of stability, and that's because they have no upgrade path.

All that has changed now with the mid-cycle refresh like the PS4 Pro anyways.

The worst time to build a PC was back when mining rigs were a thing. This is paradise in comparison.
So true. lol

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I say yes, but only if you're even remotely interested in Nvidia's new cards or AMD's new CPU updates later this year. Building something today would still get you through the next couple of years just fine, but waiting a few more months would get you through the next 3-4 years.

slothrop

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 28, 2019
USA
You can always find an excuse not to build. There's always something better coming, or a price spike somewhere, or a deal around the corner. Once you've decided that you want it, and your budget is in order, just pull the trigger and get it over with

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Wait a few months and get considerably more bang for your buck to last you a few years. Or buy now and enjoy the next few months because you might feel like you should have waited after that when the benchmarks start rolling in.

Nvidia's GPUs are going down in nm, those are usually bigger jumps. And on top of that, they've stated they wanted to reduce the price. And you'll need all the RTX and general performance you can get going into next-gen. Even more so if you don't plan on upgrading for a number of years.

But not everyone needs the highest framerates, settings and/or resolutions. It depends on you. RTX is damn demanding though.

People have said that things like DDR5 will take a number of years to match the speeds/latencies of DDR4 anyway and SSDs are plenty fast already. It's a good time to buy...in a few months if you're going with an Nvidia GPU.

Last edited:

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
You can always find an excuse not to build. There's always something better coming, or a price spike somewhere, or a deal around the corner. Once you've decided that you want it, and your budget is in order, just pull the trigger and get it over with
This. I bought mine this year. Figured if my target was 1080p gaming anything I bought at 2000 would probably work for 5 years. So, I pulled the trigger

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I'd actually say screw what Era told you. I love my gaming laptop.
"Era", is me, and no the OP should build a desktop. They have no portability need and will leave it plugged in mostly.

Their $1,000 will go so much further with a desktop.

Gaming laptops are for necessity and luxury. Everyone else is wasting money.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
You really could end up just waiting. Even when the new cards come out people will tell you to wait until hardware/driver issues are resolved. Then they'll be rumors brewing about future cards. If you NEED it, go ahead already. People are putting way too much stock into the next line of consoles. If you get a good GPU now, you'll be fine. The card won't be incapable of playing games a year from now.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Great time to build IMO. Cases, coolers, RAM, SSD's (specifically NVME's) are the lowest they've been in forever, and the CPU market has seen stellar discounts from both brands. The only downside is the cost of a mid-to-high and high end GPU, which is out of reach for many.

Having said that, something like a Ryzen 3600 + 2060 KO GPU + 16GB RAM + 1TB NVME SSD can be had for a fantastic value for money price. These specs will get you a solid 3-4 years, not to mention you're getting it TODAY and not 9 months from now, in Fall 2020.

Observing the PC build chatter closely, having done 3 builds the past 4 years (for friends and myself), every year the comments about waiting for bigger and better and faster are the same.

Every year.

He said it best ^ as did TaterTots

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
I'd actually say screw what Era told you. I love my gaming laptop. I love being able to play AAA games at 60+ fps in bed, on the couch, or whenever I travel in my hotel room or home away from home.

I spent $1100 at Costco and got an amazing lenovo with a 1660ti, brand new i9 cpu, and 16gb of RAM. HDD and SSD both built-in. It's fast, it's comparatively slim, it has a 144hz display, and it plays everything I want to play at great settings.

If you want a gaming laptop, OP, then go for it. I'm glad I did. You're going to get slightly beefier components by building, but if the portability of the laptop appeals to you, don't concede that just because a bunch of people told you to.
I'm in the same boat.
I love laptops and my gaming one is suiting me just fine years later.

If you do go with laptops, I highly recommend an external cooling source to preserve it's longevity.

Laptops undoubtedly run higher risks of heat build up.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
There's never really been a bad time to get into PC gaming. I regret the years I spent playing exclusively on consoles, putting off building a PC because I wanted to wait until I had the budget for a cutting edge rig when mid-tier components would've sufficed to meet my needs. Now I love the PC ecosystem and have been furiously making up for lost time.

However, as I already have a decent 1070/6700k PC, I am personally waiting for the Ampere cards to release before upgrading my GPU. Hoping a 3080ti or whatever will help me push 4K 60 fps experiences at high settings for the majority of next gen.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ultimately, something better is always on the horizon in PC hardware. With that said, I'm not convinced the new gen GPUs will be out before the Olympics start, and the 5700XTs seem to be aggressively priced right now. Alternatively, buy a cheap used card as a placeholder and upgrade later. RX 570s are basically a hundred bucks these days, and will keep you going at 1080p.

Point is, trying to build a future-proof PC is for rubes. Something better will inevitably be coming soon, and buy the time that's out something even better will be on the horizon. Ultimately, you are going to have to pull the trigger at some point.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Wait a few months and get considerably more bang for your buck to last you a few years. Or buy now and enjoy the next few months because you might feel like you should have waited after that when the benchmarks start rolling in.

Nvidia's GPUs are going down in nm, those are usually bigger jumps. And on top of that, they've stated they wanted to reduce the price. And you'll need all the RTX and general performance you can get going into next-gen. Even more so if you don't plan on upgrading for a number of years.

But not everyone needs the highest framerates, settings and/or resolutions. It depends on you. RTX is damn demanding though.

People have said that things like DDR5 will take a number of years to match the speeds/latencies of DDR4 anyway and SSDs are plenty fast already. It's a good time to buy...in a few months if you're going with an Nvidia GPU.

Good points. The rumors suggest the next round of upgrades later this year will indeed be worth the wait.

Couple of counterpoints however:
-IMO prices for GPU's will not drop. We'll just see more of the same, a wide variety at every $50-$100 point, and a really high(er) top end.
-Next gen is already here. Playing Sekiro at 1440/60 on mid-range PC for example is a massive game changer and a completely different experience. Or The Witcher 3, on budget hardware of yester-year. It's insane how far ahead PC is, and has been, since probably 2017 (when the RAM prices started to come back to earth).

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Except for GPUs, this feels like the best time to build a PC. Ram and SSD prices are low, a decent Nvme SSD feels like something you can budget easily into any build and AMD CPUs offer a wide variety to choose from.

Its the GPU side that seems super fucked. You're only option seems to be the AMD 5700xt, everything else just stings in terms of pricing.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's the best time to build a PC actually . RAM and SSD are still very cheap , and Ryzen 3600/3700x are a beast . Just get something in the line of

3600x
16GB DDR4
512GB/1TB NVME ( XPG Adata maybe)

and a second hand RTX2060 to hold until the next gen

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
"Era", is me, and no the OP should build a desktop. They have no portability need and will leave it plugged in mostly.

Their $1,000 will go so much further with a desktop.

Gaming laptops are for necessity and luxury. Everyone else is wasting money.
Or - get this - it could be simple preference for convenience.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
It is a terrible time fellow king dice fan, mainly due to GPU's though, Nvidia & AMD GPU's are priced too high at the moment for the performance they offer, it's likely the RTX 3000 line will offer better value & Nvidia won't be able to overprice them with tiny performance gains due to NG Consoles. It's worth it to wait until later this year.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I'm in the same boat.
I love laptops and my gaming one is suiting me just fine years later.

If you do go with laptops, I highly recommend an external cooling source to preserve it's longevity.

Laptops undoubtedly run higher risks of heat build up.
Can you link me to an example of what you're talking about? I do push my laptop pretty hard. I might as well give it some extra cooling when I'm at home in my gaming space.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Or - get this - it could be simple preference for convenience.
Even if you have the preference for a laptop i think it is really important to think 2 or 3 times before buying.
With a desktop if you want to change a component its easy. For example you buy a certain PC and after 3-5 years it isn't good enough for your shiny new screen. Just buy a new GPU and its up to standard.

With a laptop you can't change most components at all. For example you buy a laptop and after 3-5 years its in't good enough for your shiny new screen. You literally have to buy a new laptop!

IF you pick a laptop just because its convenient but you don't truly need its portability you are literally throwing your money away.

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
It is a terrible time fellow king dice fan, mainly due to GPU's though, Nvidia & AMD GPU's are priced too high at the moment for the performance they offer, it's likely the RTX 3000 line will offer better value & Nvidia won't be able to overprice them with tiny performance gains due to NG Consoles. It's worth it to wait until later this year.
Thank you, fellow comrade!

Nov 1, 2017
People always say it's the worse time, wait for this CPU, wait for this graphics card, wait for this, that, and then that again. It gets tiresome.

Build your system and have fun.

Crotin

May 6, 2018
If you keep thinking like this, you will never build your system

Just build one because you'll never be completely state of the art for long, yet even if you're close it'll last you a very long time without constantly overkilling what hardware you need

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Even if you have the preference for a laptop i think it is really important to think 2 or 3 times before buying.
With a desktop if you want to change a component its easy. For example you buy a certain PC and after 3-5 years it isn't good enough for your shiny new screen. Just buy a new GPU and its up to standard.

With a laptop you can't change most components at all. For example you buy a laptop and after 3-5 years its in't good enough for your shiny new screen. You literally have to buy a new laptop!

IF you pick a laptop just because its convenient but you don't truly need its portability you are literally throwing your money away.
I 100% get it. My first gaming rig was a PC, and I built it myself (back when the 560 Ti was the hot newness). I understand the merits for sure.

Years later, though, I've found that I don't like being tied down to one location when I'm gaming. I have a One X and PS4 Pro, but my Switch and gaming laptop tend to get more use because I like being able to play on the couch while my wife and I hang out, or play in bed, or play when I travel back to TN to see my family.

I also don't always need the latest and greatest hardware. I bought my current laptop in January. I'll probably use it for about 3-4 years, at which point I'll sell it, and then get whatever around $1-1.3K will buy me at the time. In between I'll have PS5 and Series X.

The circle on the Venn diagram where performance and convenience meet is perfect for my needs, so for me, it's absolutely not a waste of money. I don't like the implication that a gaming laptop is either a necessity or a total luxury. Those are both extreme ends of a spectrum. I'm chilling in the middle of that spectrum: neither bound by need, nor spending frivolously.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
It's a good time to build a new rig and keep a solid GPU. I went from an i7 3770k 4C at 4.2 GHz to a 3900X 12C at 4.6 GHz with 30% higher IPC.

Also 1 TB PCIe SSDs are affordable and super fast.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
If im gonna spend more that 1.5k on a good ass PC ill wait for the benchmark comparisons. But you do you.

You think either console is going to hold a candle to a range topping PC?
"Need to see benchmarks"....for what? Whens the last time consoles actually rivaled range topping machines.
A 38 or 3900X will easily carry you through the generation let alone the 4000 series.
A 2070S or Amperes xx60 will be more than enough to out pace the consoles specially with DLSS getting better and better.

Im willing to Avatar bet, and I dont say that lightly because I love Catwoman.

Because playing on a big OLED TV @4k/120Hz with VRR is an attractive prospect for many (and already a reality if you have NV compatible card and a LG C9 or better).

But HDMI VRR doesnt require HDMI 2.1 Turing can already do that?
HDMI 2.1 being the deal breaker when buying a graphics card even for TV users right now seems alittle weird, I get it.....but it doesnt seem like the most important thing.
I do believe Ampere will have HDMI 2.1 just saying people NEEDING 2.1 as a must have feature and reason to have NOT bought turing is alittle much for me.
If i could afford generation to generation upgrades for sure id be on Turing.....as I dont game on a TV I guess I was/am missing some of the HDMI 2.1 is needed feeling, but im glad this thread has helped me understand.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
I 100% get it. My first gaming rig was a PC, and I built it myself (back when the 560 Ti was the hot newness). I understand the merits for sure.

Years later, though, I've found that I don't like being tied down to one location when I'm gaming. I have a One X and PS4 Pro, but my Switch and gaming laptop tend to get more use because I like being able to play on the couch while my wife and I hang out, or play in bed, or play when I travel back to TN to see my family.

I also don't always need the latest and greatest hardware. I bought my current laptop in January. I'll probably use it for about 3-4 years, at which point I'll sell it, and then get whatever around $1-1.3K will buy me at the time. In between I'll have PS5 and Series X.

The circle on the Venn diagram where performance and convenience meet is perfect for my needs, so for me, it's absolutely not a waste of money. I don't like the implication that a gaming laptop is either a necessity or a total luxury. Those are both extreme ends of a spectrum. I'm chilling in the middle of that spectrum: neither bound by need, nor spending frivolously.
I bought one of these for myself and my bf and they work great.

You can plug into a wall a straight into a USB port on your laptop.

Even if you don't turn it on, it's a good place to put you Laptop on as it's full of holes.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Bad time for a laptop unless you can get a great deal. But building a PC wouldnt be that bad right now since you can sell your GPU when the new ones come out

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I want to build a small form factor / low noise box (ideally that could emulate stuff like Dolphin / PS2)... better to wait?

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
About the only component you may want to wait on is the GPU. For everything else, it's the perfect time to build.