• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
From Dorkly

Toad_3D_Land.png

The most affable citizens of the Mushroom Kingdom are also the most mysterious. What are Toads, exactly? Where are their knees? Their legs? Their nipples? Why has Princess Peach been designated the Toad monarch despite clearly belonging to a different species?

It would take philosophers and scientists years to answer the multitude of questions surrounding these fungus folk, so we're better off sticking with one particularly prickly point of debate. In this instance, the largest and most prominent enigma revolves around Toad's head. What is going on there? Do all Toads wear the same kind of large, round hat? Or are the polka-dotted headbulbs part of their mushroom-like biology?

Rest of the article should be read. Makes a good case for wherever you stand on this issue, but Super Mario Odyssey throws a wrench in this long-running debate.

Why, you ask?

Toads are seen wearing hats on top of their bulbs in the Mushroom Kingdom and some talk about wearing these hats as if it's a hot new fad (implying the bulbs were not considered to be hats)

A Bonneter NPC (aka Cappy's species) "captured" a Toad without taking off his head bulb. Bonneters can only rest on a bare head.

Also, there's the Toads that wear headphones on their bulbs located throughout the game. How does it listen to its music?

Where does Era side on this? I'm #TeamHead.

bronson

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, I wrote this! Thanks for sharing.

also i'm Team Head and no amount of blurry screenshots from a 30 year old cartoon will convince me otherwise

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
I read the title and thought "who the fuck is Todd?"

In general I've always just seen that as part of their head since they're mushrooms.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's been canon that they're not hats but they're still removable for some time.

Oct 31, 2017
It's his head. As the first post says, they are Toads(tools). The cartoon doesn't matter. It'd be like saying Dennis Hopper is Bowser.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
If you die in Captain Toad, the iris wipe is of a skull where the mushroom is part of it.

zlCfzS1zMPEIyHONsV

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
It their head. It's only a hat in non-canon cartoon stuff.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Might be a good time to drop the bombshell that Mario Party: The Top 100 includes a line from Toad:

"I'd tip my hat to you, but no one wants to see that!"

I'll let you fit that one into the debate.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017

I guess Bowser being a crusty hair gel wearing Dennis Hopper look-alike is canon too, eh?

img_1183.jpg

Early representations had to make up a lot of things. Just like how in the1986 Anime(predating both the Super Show from 1989 and the movie from 1993), all Toads are female-looking and the "Toad" that is directly Peach's servant (Kinopio) is twice as tall as the rest. Timestamp:

In contrast, in the recent Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Toad mentions that [â–ş]his head is well insulated, which is rather ambiguous. That's still a third party comment, but closer in time.
iRBrRP1.png

Last edited: