• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I see that and raise you this
5784.png
That doesn't preclude the mushroom being part of his head. It could be tissue rather than bone.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Its his head. He hears hats on top of it.

The real revelation in SMO is that Toad owns a real-ass dog.

_Rob_

Oct 26, 2017
I think the answer is simple: some can grow one themselves, others can't but instead buy hats that resemble it. Sort of how some people can grow hair, and others buy wigs/toupees.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
Neither.

Its a fungus that has taken over the body of some hapless neighboring kingdom villager who was walking through the woods. THey then bud, infect the brain, and force the host into the mushroom kingdom as slave labor and servants.

Bowsers just trying to save he world.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
They're hats.

3U6RO4Y.jpg

Here they are wearing helmets instead of the normal hats. The boomerang helmet especially kills the notion that they are part of their head.

Also, powerups are costumes that just change clothes, and powerups change the colors of the Toads' hats and swithc them out with different headpieces that are similarly shaped.

Nah dude. The bulb is soft and can be somewhat squished/compressed. Why else would they be wearing such oversized helmets?

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
They're hats.
[...]
Also, powerups are costumes that just change clothes, and powerups change the colors of the Toads' hats and swithc them out with different headpieces that are similarly shaped.
Mario powerups don't just change clothes -- they can change the body too. Even ignoring the most obvious examples of the powerups that change your size, there are also ones like Tanuki Mario and Bee Mario that add functional body parts (the tail and the wings, respectively). There's even Boo Mario, which changes his entire shape, and Meowser, who plainly shows that the cat bell powerup causes a physical transformation, even though it's not obvious when Mario uses it.

Sniffynose

Oct 30, 2017
Edit: lol I'm out of ideas since that comic has one with it off but they clearly have it on under their hats etc.

Maybe it exposes their bare brain or something xD

Last edited:

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
They're hats.

3U6RO4Y.jpg

Here they are wearing helmets instead of the normal hats. The boomerang helmet especially kills the notion that they are part of their head.

Their wearing their helmets over their toadstool hat here, it's why they're so bulbous, they would wear just smaller hats if that would be the case.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Their wearing their helmets over their toadstool hat here, it's why they're so bulbous, they would wear just smaller hats if that would be the case.
That's not the case with the boomerang helmet, and the other helmets are the same size as their normal hats. Those helmets are thick, not eggshell thin.
9AfH3QN.png

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Look

They're mushrooms ok. They are literally toadstools. So the cap is part of their body but it can come off. I don't know if it would hurt them to remove it or what but it's clearly not a hat.

The Mario Party screen is just a joke and in no way should hold a higher "canon" standing than actual mainline Mario games like SMO or even Captain Toad where he is literally wearing an explorer's hat on top of his mushroom cap. I can also say, while not wearing a hat, that I'd tip my hat to someone but they wouldn't want to see it. That doesn't mean the top of my head is a hat, it means if I pulled off the top of my head you would see some nasty shit under there.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's more like hair. It would pretty much explain everything thus far.

I figure it's like their equivalent of hair.

tumblr_m6qtbu0ox51qmqvhjo3_250.gif

tekken_tag_tournament_2_peach_toad.jpg

They're hats.

3U6RO4Y.jpg

Powerups are pretty magical and can compress stuff. Those helmets look huge to simply replace the cap instead of over them.

Also the who powerups are just clothe doesn't always apply as seen with Boo Mario.

Even only considering the "suit" powerups Penguin Mario's arms do not seem to be big enough to contain Mario's actual arms.

688slm_new_super_mario_bros._penguin_suit_mario_giant_wall_decal_assembled_product.jpg

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Deepest lore topic ever, i wonder if there is a split timeline about this. In one Mario tineline it's part of their body in another it's a hat. My guess tho is they do get born with it and it is part of their body but they can take it off at will, but don't for obvious reasons. But i rather have it be as a part of their heads.

Calfirma

Oct 31, 2017
I refuse any motion that it's a hat, any hat mentions is not canon because he is a clicker from TLoU.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
With a few exceptions, the only thing differentiating Toads is their color scheme. If they're all wearing matching uniforms, it might not be a stretch to say a hat is part of that uniform.

Ridiculous. Absurd. A Toad wanting to wear colors that match their heads is not proof that their head is a part of it. People wear clothing to match their hair, why not their spot color?

Mario canon is of the utmost importance and I would hope that the class clowns who post this picture to get their """""""lols"""""""" also have to claim that Milli Vanilli is the Mushroom Kingdom's favorite musical group and that Mario turns into Fire Mario when he touches a star. Disgusting.

Either that, or the power-up radically altered the composition of Toad's skull, which might be too harrowing a thought to contemplate.

Poppycock by medieval minded fools. The very foundation of Mario universe powerups is that they are all transformations out of Junji Ito. The simple mushroom causes Mario to increase in size; the Tanuki allows a transformation into a Jizo statue, and that tail is clearly controlled by the body, not a suit mechanism. The Metal Cap and Vanish Cap radically alter Mario's atomic structure for a short period. The Double Cherry creates disturbing philosophical questions. Bowser's becoming Meowser is clearly a physical mutation. And Ovid would have a field day writing of the various metamorphoses of Yoshi and Wario. Does Yoshi simply wear a helicopter suit, hat truthers??? Does he?

Ergo, attempting to use magical transformation items as proof of Toad's base form shows a fundamental ignorance of basic Mariology.

But Toads in the Paper Mario games have hair!!!

The hair could easily be grown at the base of the bulb, or even underneath and push its way out through the soft, semi-permeable membranes.

In either case, Paper Mario forces the audience to accept a world in which the characters are made of cut sheets of processed wood pulp. Are we to take such a source seriously in regards to anatomy? I think not.

Yes, neither of us would want to see a character rip their own head off. Toads idiomatically refer to their heads as "hats," a sarcastic euphemism to mock the meat-men's confusion over their glorious fungal bodies.

Tristan Cooper does the rest. Many Toads are clearly wearing hats on their bulbs, Toadette's bulb has grown into a unique shape, etc. As I pointed out earlier, the Captain Toad death wipe shows a skull with the cap clearly attached:

zlCfzS1zMPEIyHONsV

"But that would just be to make it more easily identifiable!" Nonsense. The skull in our culture is a universal symbol of death, to all humans regardless of who or what they are. If Toads see fit to include the cap, then it must be because it is an inherent part of their biology, not merely a social custom. "Memento mori, including your hat"????? Don't disrespect the sanctity of Mario lore discussions with your jokes

Village

Oct 25, 2017
But in mario oddesy, those dudes are definitely wearing headhones on them like its apart of their head

AkimbOb-omb

Oct 30, 2017
Lmao best thread on resetera so far - Watched!

I'm super unsure about this question. TeamHead though. He looks like a bloody penis in those cartoon pics. That's not right.