• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Thornton Reed

Thornton Reed

Oct 30, 2017
I ugly cried at the end of 3.
I was born a few months after Toy story released, and both 1 and 2 were both pretty notable parts of my childhood.
I was a HS senior when 3 released, so with Andy going off to college, as well as the focus on growing up and moving on, I was pretty smack dab in the target audience, and it left a huge impression on me.
It was a monumental ending.
In many ways, it sorta felt like the ending to my childhood.

Then they released 4, and it was mediocre.
I'm honestly just gonna pretend 4 never released.

This poster gets it

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
It's a decent movie that just wasn't needed. Ending was anti-climactic compared to 3, and the only worthwhile character arc was Woody's while everyone else got shafted. Most of the characters were also unnecessary (Key and Peele, Keanu, etc), which didn't help.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
It was almost kind of worth it because Gabby Gabby is one of the best characters Pixar has ever written.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
It's a decent movie that just wasn't needed. Ending was anti-climactic compared to 3, and the only worthwhile character arc was Woody's while everyone else got shafted. Most of the characters were also unnecessary (Key and Peele, Keanu, etc), which didn't help.
While it's true that it's pretty much a Woody movie, Toy Story is pretty much a franchise about Woody. The other toys (with maybe the exception of Buzz) have always been side characters, Woody has always pretty obviously been the main character. Toy Story 1 was about his realization that being the favourite isn't the most important thing in the world, Toy Story 2 was about his dilemma. Toy Story 3 is the only one that's more about the entire group than Woody, but even in that one Woody is clearly the hero of the story.

It makes sense that the movie that was specifically announced as being the final movie in the franchise to primarily focus on Woody.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I prefer 4 to 3. Idk, just feels to me 3 is story of Andy moving on and the consequences, and 4 is Woody moving on.

Also 4 has a much better villain than 3.

Anyway both are great films I reckon :d

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I love Toy Story 4 but they really did Jesse and Bullseye dirty. Duke Kaboom also felt like a forced Keanu Reeves cameo.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Yes, in my opinion. I never understood why this movie exist after the perfect ending of 3 and therefore, never watched it or supported it.

3-4 other contenders on the exact same level were Men in Black 4, which thankfully never got made and got changed into a weird spin-off that nobody watched and the upcoming Matrix 4.
Oh and Pirates of the Caribbean 4 and 5.

I don't count straight to DVD/VHS sequels like 95% of the Disney sequels or obvious garbage/low budged sequels like Jaws 3, 4 and endless other examples.

On a level as Toy Story 4, yes it's one of the most unnecessary sequels.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They should have left it at 3 but I'm glad the movie was at least good.

Finding Dory and The Incredibles 2 on the other hand...

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
2, 3, and 4 were all equally unnecessary. Yet I love them all. So maybe consider that 4 means a lot to many people and that their happiness is a good thing.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
It's a fantastic movie that really explores what we thought was a happy, satisfying conclusion in 3.

And there are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of sequels to films that never needed one. I will never understand trying to highlight TS4 as unnecessary when it's hardly the worst offender.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I watched 2 days ago for the first time. I was a big Toy Story fan since I watched the first one when i was a kid, but i didnt really want to watch this one becauae 3 felt like the perfect ending.

I liked 4 but is ibdeed a movie that the more you think about it the less you lile parts of it. The original characters get a pretty big shaft, yes all the movies are woody's story, but all the other movies always introduced new characters and even then the original group had tons of great scenes. Buzz in this movie felt like they had to force him into the story and they made him incredibly stupid. Key and pelee toys were funny and would have loved them interact more with the group.

The villain, theres no villain and you can see the twist from a mile away.

TS3 made Bonnie wholesome and Andy like. TS4 mades all the kids be trash except Andy flashback. How much time does pass between 3 and 4? Less than a year? With how the kids behave in this movie my head just says the girl that finds gabby gabby is going to let her in a corner in less than a year.

Bo Beep was needed in 3. Thats the big problem there. Its super cool seeing her here and the Woody relationship is nice but just fucking go inside the caravan with your old group. I didnt enjoy the cycle of how kids are this entities that treat toys like that, when the essenceof the first 3 is how good Andy is and how the toys were gonna have a good second live with Bonnie. The only part I liked of her was the creative vibe she had.
And holy shit, that "goodbye" scene with the group and bo beep is terrible. "Oh is bo beep!" And thays it. Forced and fast as hell.

I even cried a little while watching it, but the more I think about it after watching it the more i really dislike a lot of parts of it. As a whole its a fun movie and maybe even better that other pixar sequels (not counting the first 3 TS).

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
We say this every Toy Story sequel so I'm gonna say no.

Not when Titanic 2, Pirates of the Caribbean 4 and 5, Son of the Mask, Lion King 1 1/2, Pet Semetary 2, Love Never Dies (Phantom of the Opera 2), Return to Oz, Blues Brothers 2000, Ghostbusters 2, Hostel 2, Every single Wrong Turn sequel, Saw 4, Boogeyman 2 and 3, Woman in Black 2, The Gallows: Act II, Ferngully 2, The Secret of NIMH 2: Timmy to the Rescue, Psycho 2, Home Alone 3-5 (and arguably 2), Birdemic 2, Samurai Cop 2, Beauty and the Beast: An Enchanted Christmas, Return of Jafar, Mulan 2, Every Terminator past 2, Robocop 2 and 3, every Scorpion King past the first, The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, all the Shrek sequels (even the good ones), Sharpay's Fabulous Adventure, Seed of Chucky, 48 Meters Down: Uncaged, Pacific Rim Uprising, Deep Blue Sea 2, every Friday the 13th past 4, The Nutty Professor 2, A Quiet Place 2, and Frozen 2 exist, anyway...
Titanic II isn't a real sequel.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Foe the longest time I wanted an incredibles 2 and not another toy story butt ..... incredibles 2 ended up being the most unnecessary sequel ever ( it was a copy paste of the first -__- ) and toy story 4 ended up pretty dang good lol

rude

Oct 25, 2017
They should have left it at 3 but I'm glad the movie was at least good.

Finding Dory and The Incredibles 2 on the other hand...
Incredibles 2 was worth it for having some of the most incredibly directed/animatied action sequences in the medium. The initial chase to stop the train is actually one of the best things I've ever seen.

The actual story the movie told though...

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Tbh I think 4 is more worthwhile than 3. I know that's practically sacrilege but 3 explores a lot of the same themes as 2, it just makes everything more immediate with Andy leaving for college, and gives a stronger sense of closure.

Which is, ironically, what I felt gave 4 its emotional core. Yeah, they could have ended the series with 3 and put a nice bow on it, but it's also important to let kids (and even adults!) know that just losing someone doesn't mean life is over, and you aren't always able to fill that hole in the same way. Woody tries to replace Andy with Bonnie, and it doesn't work out, so instead he has to find a new path forward. That really struck me as a meaningful message to pass along - if 3 is about letting go, 4 is about moving on.

I say all that as someone who was massively skeptical of TS4, btw. I'm glad Pixar made it.

The topic is THE MOST UNNECESSARY though I'm saying it's not a bad film and there are far worse examples in the history of film. I actually feel like Pixar wise Cars 2 and Monsters University are the worst examples...I do like Cars 3 though.
I'll stan for Monsters U just because I feel in some ways it mirrored my own journey in college. I went to school as a theater major with the intent of making it big as an actor, but ultimately I didn't feel that was my path. Luckily I was able to carve a niche for myself as a writer, and I've honestly enjoyed myself a lot more working behind the scenes as a playwright and a producer. Like, last summer I entered a Zelda play into a festival and it was a smash hit. I've been doing theater for 14 years and that's probably the proudest I've ever been of something I was involved in.

Sooo when Monsters U comes along with Mike's story of desperately wanting to become a Scarer and having to find out the hard way that no matter how hard he tries or studies, it ain't happening? Yeah, that one hit home. Even with Sulley's arc, I knew plenty of actors who were content to coast on good looks and natural charm while turning in mediocre performances time and again. Most of them have totally burnt out of theater. Their friendship also speaks to the importance of supporting your friends who DO have "the gift."

I know the scaring program seems to be more analogous to athletics than the arts, but that's all I could see and I totally appreciated it. "It's okay to fail and course-correct" is a super important message for kids, especially now when people are just expected to go to college, don't necessarily have an idea of what they want to do, and spend a few extra years screwing around in their undergrad.

If anything I'd say I liked Finding Dory less. Like, it was okay, but it felt "unnecessary" in that I don't think we learn anything new about who the characters are that we didn't already get out of the original. Like yeah, Dory's backstory (and imo her memories and eventual reunion are the best parts of the movie), but we already learned in the first film that Dory is extremely capable and intelligent despite her memory loss, and it felt like her journey was mostly just hitting those same beats.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
It wasn't as bad as, say, Incredibles 2, just mediocre compared to 3. Feels like they are squeezing the lemon when there are not many drops left.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
It's unnecessary but not the most unnecessary. Jaws getting a sequel was pretty stupid. There are like 40 James Bond movies and like 50 Avengers in less than half the time.

Maybe unnecessary but the people clearly want and like to pay for sequels so they will always keep pumping them out.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Breakin' 2 was so unnecessary it spawned a meme 10 years before anyone had internet access.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
The Matrix sequels were completely unnecessary

We leave the first movie knowing Neo was The One and would help humanity win the war against the machines. It ended perfectly.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I think Toy Story 4 is a faaaaar better movie than the third one. Aside from 3's fantastic ending, I can't get over how many elements were ripped straight from Toy Story 2. Toy Story 4 at least tried something new, cute, and heartwarming for it's main theme and resolution.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Why is it the best Toy Story film? I haven't seen it but would like to be sold on why I should.

Most well balanced villain. My favourite one in the series.

It takes the characters on a far larger scope

Woody's story is beautiful.

They finally did Bo-Peep justice.

It provides a different type of closure I didn't realize I needed until I saw it.

Trust me I thought 4 was unnecessary going in, wasn't even really planning to see it but when I did.... It just hit me in all the right places.

blazenumb1

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Lots of worse sequels out there that be called unnecessary. This is great a movie and especially when you think of all the movies as Woody's story, TS4 makes perfect sense and is well done.

However, I do think there will be a fifth movie that brings everyone back together.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i do think Toy Story 3 ended on a good note but Toy Story 4 was a fun movie. I'm glad they made it.

yurr

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019
Yea I ain't even gonna watch that one. It's the most unnecessary to a big franchise. But that's how all CA super franchises work now. Pixar can do one offs still but Disney want them oldies but goodies pushed out like clockwork.

Oct 28, 2017
I agree totally with you Thornton Reed. The problem for me is with just how perfect Toy Story 3 ended...i mean just 100% nailed it. Then comes Toy Story 4 a great movie itself but the way it walks back 3 is criminal. My kids did not like that ending at all and were kinda mad after we left movies.

Same story will all new toys and called it Another Toy Story.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Not in a world where Terminator exists and has been struggling to justify its sequels for every movie after 2.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
There are so many sequels that exist that I can't fathom how someone could make this thread without pausing to think that they were probably being hyperbolic.

Apr 19, 2018
I wish I could have liked TS4 more.

I felt like the various Toons shorts + specials such as "Toy Story That Time Forgot" and "Toy Story of Terror" functioned so much better as quasi-sequels to TS3. They at least gave us time with Bonnie's relationship and the toys, rather than the jarring timeskip we got in TS4 where she basically doesn't care for them much anymore.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thor 2? Probably the one time on this website that this is actually the correct answer. The first was absolutely dogshit and somehow they managed to make part 2 even worse. Most Marvel sequels are unnecessary but this one wins by a long shot.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Unless the previous movie ended on a cliffhanger, I'd say most sequels are unnecessary.

Toy Story 4 was a great movie and much better than Toy Story 3 IMO.

Gooey

Oct 27, 2017
No sequels are really "necessary," they come from a desire to make more money off the brand and sometimes they end up good

Toy Story just got very lucky by having every sequel be incredible