• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Barry was dead on Crisis on infinite Earths in 1985 and not get revive treatment until 23 years later (2008) on Final Crisis.
During That Time Wally become The new Flash.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That pretty much depends entirely on when you started reading comics/watching DC cartoons, honestly. A lot of people who grew up in the 90s know Wally as THE Flash and Barry as the OLD Flash.

And then people who grew up before the 90s know of Barry as the Flash and Jay Garrick as the OLD Flash.

Really just depends on your background.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
He was more "my" Flash than Barry ever was, in hindsight they just traded a blonde white guy for another with basically the same origin story so its all a little basic and cheap but I was a fan of Wallys growth and career.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Prior to the CW show, he was. The show boosted Barry and completely ruined Wally.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
I think the CW show has helped cement Barry Allen again as the most famous speedster. During the 90's and 2000's, Wally West was more popular though.

But really, I know a lot of people who don't even recognize the different names. They all view them as one "Flash."

Last edited:

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Depends how old you are. If you're over 45 you're probably a Barry fan. Otherwise you almost certainly grew up with Wally West as your Flash. Personally I prefer Wally.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
No. It's Barry. TV show and movie saw to that.

But as mentioned most people don't really distinguish between the two. There's just "The Flash".

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
It's definitely Barry now, but having been a 90s kid, Wally was "my" Flash.

Still my favorite long term instance of someone taking up the mantle of a legacy character, though.

Oct 25, 2017
Johns did the one-two-three punch of of the two Rebirths and then effectively de-emphasising the usual popular DC heroes (as much as one can without being paid by Marvel), or am I taking internet gossip as fact again?

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Barry to Wally was one of the most successful example of passing-on-the-mantle in comics. Too bad DC shitted on it in the end.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
He was before Johns, Morrison, and Didio shoved Barry back into the public conciousness.

Wally West is still a better character than Barry Allen though.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Johns did the one-two-three punch of of the two Rebirths and then effectively de-emphasising the usual popular DC heroes (as much as one can without being paid by Marvel), or am I taking internet gossip as fact again?
It wasn't only him. It was a DC wide effort to return a bunch of the major 60s heroes and make them take back the mantle from the legacy heroes.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
Actually that reminds me, wasn't Wally shown to be faster than Barry in the comics

Last edited:

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
From what I remember, yes.
I just checked, I guess DC confirmed it last year lol.
The-Flash-Comic-Wally-Faster-Than-Barry.jpg

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Accidentally posted in the other thread, but Wally is by far the better character. He used the speedforce in some really interesting ways. He had an amazing journey as a sidekick who grew to surpass his mentor, he grew to become a father, and had some really great connections with other heroes like Nightwing and Kyle Rayner. Wally also has generally been great in every animated appearance he has had. YJ and JLU have to truly fun and dramatic moments with the character.

Barry in contrast has always felt very bland to me. I actively disliked him in the New 52 Justice League, as he generally felt like an enabler for a lot of Hal's more jackass behavior. I also have a really hard time with Barry because of Flashpoint, I understand his motives, but the amount of suffering he caused always makes it hard for me to like him.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
For an era of comics readers/fans of the JL cartoon, yes. But Barry in the CW Flash series and... the movie (I guess?) have helped cement Barry at the top for whatever mainstream Flash audience there is.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I am going to side with Wally on this as i am well aware of his popularity.
The thing about Barry is that in his recent appearances outside the rv show, he is given the characteristics of Wally (eg justice league movie)

BTW dont nobody start a thread regarding Green Lantern similar to this :v

Deleted member 47942

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2018
It wasn't Johns as much in this instance as it was Didio and Morrison. They wanted to bring back Barry during Final Crisis and Johns was tapped to do Flash Rebirth.

Wally is Johns' favorite Flash.

BTW dont nobody start a thread regarding Green Lantern similar to this :v
Because the obvious answer is Guy.

Axiom

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's a coincidence that when they adapt Flash, the characterization is more Wally than classic Barry. Though I like the forensic scientist bent. When we're comparing similar situations like when Hal came back, he at least had a very different personality than Kyle, John and Guy. (though John is one of those characters who I feel pulled a Freeze and really came into their own in adaption)

Barry never really had a strong personality to begin with and I felt meant much more when he was gone. Though I've gotten a lot more settled with it all these days.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Geoff John likes Barry and he can force him to be the most popular Flash despite when adapted he is Barry in name only cause they give him all of Wally's personalty traits.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it's a coincidence that when they adapt Flash, the characterization is more Wally than classic Barry. Though I like the forensic scientist bent. When we're comparing similar situations like when Hal came back, he at least had a very different personality than Kyle, John and Guy. (though John is one of those characters who I feel pulled a Freeze and really came into their own in adaption)

Barry never really had a strong personality to begin with and I felt meant much more when he was gone. Though I've gotten a lot more settled with it all these days.
"Pulled a Freeze"

Bruce Timm and Paul Dini are just too stronk. The DCAU had amazingly strong characterization throughout and was one of the most amazing animated continuities ever.

And it keeps going! :D

Last edited: