• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Wally and Linda's love was so pure, purer then Captain marvel's soul. It literally burned the devil
1948883-neron_21.jpg

That's what I was thinking of LOL

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Remember when Wally won the lottery and he blew it all on sports cars? He was still blocked at around the speed of sound then, so he brough cars he was literally 7 times faster than

Didn't get the whole run, I started when Wally was coming home from being stranded in the future and met John Fox. They need to do an episode of this on the show. Or maybe the tail end of Savitar? Somewhere around there.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Barry is just lucky Hal Jordan exists or he'd be the blandest superhero ever created.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't get the whole run, I started when Wally was coming home from being stranded in the future and met John Fox. They need to do an episode of this on the show. Or maybe the tail end of Savitar? Somewhere around there.
if you ever get the chance go back and start when he takes up the mantle it is fantastic growth and a great supporting cast

Dec 6, 2017
Los Angeles
To me YES OH GOD YES I HATE BARRY ALLEN.
I hate Barry Allen so much and love Wally that I stoped reading DC comics after Flashpoint because there was no Wally West in the New 52.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I read the entire original Wally run from start to finish and it is indeed phenomenal

How is Rebirth, I only read Wally's return and it made me cry

The secret is, I just realized it myself. LOL the reporter thing, being Barry's anchor, stopping him from fucking up his life, etc. It's Linda Park
Pretty sure she says the lightning rod line

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
wally west is more popular and frankly the more interesting flash, barry been going through the motions since new 52
i blame geoff johns for this

people really gravivated towards wally since JL and for a long time, he is so good at his job that he had legit started to finish hero work, he had city and life stable and happy

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
I don't think it's a coincidence that when they adapt Flash, the characterization is more Wally than classic Barry. Though I like the forensic scientist bent. When we're comparing similar situations like when Hal came back, he at least had a very different personality than Kyle, John and Guy. (though John is one of those characters who I feel pulled a Freeze and really came into their own in adaption)

Barry never really had a strong personality to begin with and I felt meant much more when he was gone. Though I've gotten a lot more settled with it all these days.

essentially this, heck in the flash show he has brown/red hair loooool

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes Wally West is more popular than Barry Allen and yes I'm still bitter about this fact.

#barrythabest

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
He was more "my" Flash than Barry ever was, in hindsight they just traded a blonde white guy for another with basically the same origin story so its all a little basic and cheap but I was a fan of Wallys growth and career.
C'mon. He's a REDHEAD.
3524607B0652394DEA9484B1D174016AB645A320

Wally and Linda's love was so pure, purer then Captain marvel's soul. It literally burned the devil
1948883-neron_21.jpg
See this, Spider-man? WALLY WEST was offered to sell his marriage to the devil to save someone, and he was SO AWESOME he managed to trick him into giving it back because his love was too much for the dope to handle.

wallylinda1.png

Dang, this couple is so good.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
No. Outside of the DCAU, Barry is basically the default Flash any time the character is adapted to a more mainstream medium.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
As an outsider im seeing here people say Barry was bland and basically he got all the good traits from wally to make modern barry, but what does blamd mean here?
Did he really have zero character? Just a normal guy, no jokes, no charisma, etc...?

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As an outsider im seeing here people say Barry was bland and basically he got all the good traits from wally to make modern barry, but what does blamd mean here?
Did he really have zero character? Just a normal guy, no jokes, no charisma, etc...?

He was a great every dude who wasn't created in the attitude era. Wally is basically the Sonic the Hedgehog of speedsters.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
It's Barry right now, but it's telling that they keep giving him Wally's traits.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like most DC legacy characters in the 2000s, he was more popular than the original until Geoff Johns decided fuuuuuuuck that.

Deleted member 47942

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2018
wally west is more popular and frankly the more interesting flash, barry been going through the motions since new 52
i blame geoff johns for this
Johns isn't really to fault. Didio and Morrison were the ones that decided to bring Barry back during Final Crisis and make him the main Flash again. Johns only took the Flash Rebirth gig because he wanted to add to the Flash mythos - Zoom Corps, Negative Speed Force, Hot Pursuit, and a bunch of other things he never got a chance to do. He also wanted a second book with Wally. Unfortunately a lot of that got derailed when his superiors decided to use Flashpoint as an opportunity to reboot.

Johns has repeatedly stated that Wally is his favorite.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No. Outside of the DCAU, Barry is basically the default Flash any time the character is adapted to a more mainstream medium.
That's really only because they brought Barry back. For instance, I found it interesting that when NRS did their MKvsDC game, their Flash was Wally, but when Injustice came around after Flashpoint, it was Barry in Injustice. He's in a ton of video games still, though. Wally was going to also be the Flash in the cancelled Justice League Mortal film...

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who else did they bring back?

Ray Palmer, Ronnie Raymond, Hawk, Hawkwoman, OTOH.

There was a point where they tried to retcon out Alan Moore's Swamp Thing to bring back the original interpretation of the character as "Alec Holland turned into a swamp monster."

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Even the main Flash writer right now thinks Wally is better than Barry, it's so obvious reading Flash War and the succeeding issues.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
That pretty much depends entirely on when you started reading comics/watching DC cartoons, honestly. A lot of people who grew up in the 90s know Wally as THE Flash and Barry as the OLD Flash.

And then people who grew up before the 90s know of Barry as the Flash and Jay Garrick as the OLD Flash.

Really just depends on your background.
To me Wally is the Flash, Barry is the old Flash, and Jay is the old old Flash

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Barry was better left as a monument and memory of COIE

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I grew up with Barry, and some of the appeal was that he was one of very few married superheroes, with an extremely everyman type home life. He was the aw shucks midwestern sitcom dad type. I liked that a lot, in contrast with most other heroes.

His post-2008 characterization and his CW characterization isn't really that, although the CW one could grow up to that.

Even when a character has the same name, the versions of them can differ a ton across media and time. My Hal Jordan isn't a cocky jackass for instance, but he's been written that way since Emerald Dawn.

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
I grew up with Wally West from DCAU, so I'm more with the Animated version. The comics I never had an allegiance with so I never really paid no mind to who the Flash was. Eventually I did learn the distinction but honestly I don't like Barry or Wally how they are currently portrayed, I actually rather have the DCAU version the canon one.

ktb0y983lza11.jpg

In all fairness

There's definitely some time travel fuckery going on in regards to Wally there

According to some rumours the original ending got changed after it was leaked and hated by a number of people.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
if you ever get the chance go back and start when he takes up the mantle it is fantastic growth and a great supporting cast
It's the single greatest run on any comic book ever IMO.

I dream about Waid coming save to save Wally from DC's fuckery and reunite him with his family.

According to some rumours the original ending got changed after it was leaked and hated by a number of people.
For real? If you don't mind ,would you please link me?

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Knowing this timeline they will retire Barry for John Fox