• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should you get a Wii U for $100 or less?

• Yes

Votes: 578 60.2%
  • No

Votes: 382 39.8%

• Total voters

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
GameStop has Wii U refurbished models on sale for $100.

I miss the Wind Waker like my own child. But are there other good games that actually make Wii U decent to own?

Or is it just something to skip at this point?

Any gems that we don't expect to ever hit Switch?

Blackquill

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The (good) games that are not on Switch :
- The Wonderful 101
- Xenoblade X
- Mario 3D World

And that's it I think ? Really if you are that interested in one of those go for it, if not, you're not gonna miss much

Aug 11, 2018
Honestly - if you have a Switch, I'd skip that deal.

Mine is only hooked up due to it being hacked and a nice HDMI GameCube/Wii and occasionally some Black Ops 2, if it weren't such a lousy setup I might say yes however it's use cases are stupid limited by now.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it's a fantastic console that tried something new and while it rarely worked out, the shining examples that did are very special. Games that used the Gamepad to good effect: Pikmin 3, Nintendo Land, Game and Wario, Super Mario Maker and Kirby & the Rainbow Paintbrush.

Hopefully Mario 3D World, the Zelda HD remasters and Wonderful 101 will get Switch ports but until they do, these are excellent games to play on Wii U.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
The one reason I would say yes would be if you're going to explore the Wii catalogue. While there are still some WiiU titles that haven't come over, including the incredible Pikmin 3, it kind of seems like Nintendo will keep mining the WiiU's library as people seem happy to pay full price for them again - which is it's own discussion. But as for my part, I love my WiiU having missed out on the Wii, and whether Wii titles ever come to switch is a question mark.

Should also mention a lot of the great titles are Nintendo select now and therefore available at a much reduced price. Including pikmin 3.

This obviously sets aside that the switch is a vastly superior piece of tech - I fucking hate the WiiU gamepad.

EDIT: And fuck yes it was "ever" worth it, just because another console is de-valuing it with ports doesn't mean it wasnt an awesome console during its tenure. If anything, this was Nintendo at a much more creative level, actually making original games as opposed to just Switch-->WiiU re-releases.

Are all Wii U games available digitally pretty much? I'd love to play Pikmin 3 if it is on the Eshop

Yup. I have Pikmin 3 digitally.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yes, it's a fantastic console that tried something new and while it rarely worked out, the shining examples that did are very special. Games that used the Gamepad to good effect: Pikmin 3, Nintendo Land, Game and Wario, Super Mario Maker and Kirby & the Rainbow Paintbrush.

Hopefully Mario 3D World, the Zelda HD remasters and Wonderful 101 will get Switch ports but until they do, these are excellent games to play on Wii U.
Are all Wii U games available digitally pretty much? I'd love to play Pikmin 3 if it is on the Eshop

NDWest14

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
I got it cheap off ebay when BotW came out. Initially I was really impressed, I loved the option of tv or handheld and didn't mind the tablet at all. Now though....

I can absolutely tell you no.

Why you ask?

Simple Answer: Nintendo games do not dimish in value.

Figured I was buying an old ass system, I can grab a decent library of games that are now Switch ports on the cheap.

IE: DK, Bayonetta 2 and a few more

No. They are either still full price, no where to be found, or full priced digitally.

Nintendo's pricing is my major turn off to adopt a switch in a few years. Like no point in waiting if at that point 10 year old ports are being sold at full price.

They're there, but you'll pay full for most if not all.

Stonehands

Oct 27, 2017
A coworker was selling their used Wii U and 4 games (Hyrule Warriors, New Super Mario Bros, Super Smash Bros, and Zombie U) for only $40. I have a Switch as well, but i couldn't pass that deal up, and my son loves it.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Put that $100 towards a Switch if you don't have one already. I think popular titles like Mario Maker and 3D World are just a matter of time till they make their way over.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'd recommend it at like $65. 100 for just the barebones system seems like too much. Unless you really gotta play some Zelda Remasters, Xenoblade X, W101, and Devils Third.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I can't remember any Nintendo published that weren't.

It's also a really easy console to hack; I removed the region lock, put on Nintendont so I could play Gamecube games and installed all my disc based games onto my HDD.

Oct 27, 2017
I think the only reason to buy a Wii U at this point is if you REALLY want to play Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Wind Waker HD, Xenoblade X, and/or Super Mario 3D World, those are the only remaining worthwhile exclusives, and even then I'd say TMS and XBX have pretty decent chances of getting Switch ports.

That and the Wii U is pretty much the only way to get virtual console games soon, and it has a pretty great catalog at that.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
It's a splendid Mario game delivery mechanism, if nothing else.

If you're at all interested in backward compatibility and homebrew then it can pretty much outright replace both a Wii and a Gamecube.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
- The Wonderful 101
- Xenoblade X
- Mario 3D World

And that's it I think ? Really if you are that interested in one of those go for it, if not, you're not gonna miss much
How dare you exclude Pikmin.

Anyway, unless you want a Wii HD player as well, or a well-supported Nintendo homebrew machine, the answer is increasingly no.

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
I'm fairly certain Nintendo will end up porting all the good games for WiiU to the Switch. I don't see a reason to own one unless you can't wait to play those games haven't been ported.

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it has games you want to play it will be worth it. If it doesn't, it won't. It's really that simple and what other people think isn't really relevant.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Secretly one of the best consoles Nintendo ever made.

That name really fucked them over.

I'm convinced that had it come out a year earlier, not been called the Wii U (and not looked like a Wii to the untrained eye for that matter) and some of those late Wii games been released on it instead, that it could have done something instead of being a massive flop. Alas...

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel all of those games will come to the Switch plus replacements for stuff like the WiiUpad are expensive and rare so no.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Of everything in this thread my only must have is Wind Waker HD if I'm being honest. The only other game I'd even consider buying is Pikmin.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
It really depends on what you want to play on it, if it's stuff that's on Switch then no.

However I wouldn't count on "inevitable" ports to Switch, some games might never come out to it. There's also another thing, the Wii U is fully BC with Wii, so if you don't have a Wii either keep that in mind(you need the Wii controllers for the Wii games though).

I think the only reason to buy a Wii U at this point is if you REALLY want to play Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Wind Waker HD, Xenoblade X, and/or Super Mario 3D World, those are the only remaining worthwhile exclusives, and even then I'd say TMS and XBX have pretty decent chances of getting Switch ports.

That and the Wii U is pretty much the only way to get virtual console games soon, and it has a pretty great catalog at that.

XBX has been confirmed to not be happening because money.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Yes, it was worth it at one point. Now it's tough to say considering all the Switch ports.
There are still some gems like Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Xenoblade X that are stuck on Wii U, but I expect we'll see them on Switch at some point. So I'm not sure I could recommend buying one.

With that being said, my Wii U is still hooked up and sits right next to my PS4 and Switch. Mainly because I still play Wii games regularly (just played Umbrella Chronicles today, in preparation for RE2) as well as the giant Virtual Console catalog.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping the rest of the games make it to another system one day. Xenoblade Chronicles X and Tokyo Mirage Sessions deserve more in particular.

Even then I found using the actual system to be terrible. I love many Wii U games in spite of that oversized fisher price controller.

Unless there is a sizable stack of games that interests you on that system, I would save my money.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
HELL to the N and O
(All the good games on it will be ported or receive equivalent sequels in short order)

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Depends on the games you want to play really, your not going to be getting anything new from the Wii u. Switch is the better option if you want to play better version of those Wii u games, and have future support. But for $100 a Wii u isn't a bad deal, you can play many of the games that are on switch for a cheaper price, and the Wii u also plays Wii games natively, and if you mod it, you can play Gamecube games on it as well. Also the Wii u has a remaster of Wind Waker, one of the few 1080p Wii u games.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Hmm well I did not ever have a Wii but I refuse to play a standard definition game in 2019 onward so

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I guess it's like the Dreamcast. Commercial failure but had some great gems.

I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't ported more over to switch. They would make a killing with the likes of Wind Waker HD et al

Lazy gits.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
- The Wonderful 101
- Xenoblade X
- Mario 3D World

Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Mario Maker
Pikmin 3
Windwaker HD
Affordable Space Adventures

An extensive virtual console library
Several of the Wii's best games on the eShop plus the entire Wii library on disc

Hacked:
Greatly expanded virtual console support
Gamecube support

I feel all of those games will come to the Switch plus replacements for stuff like the WiiUpad are expensive and rare so no.
I highly doubt all those games come to Switch. XCX is already commented on as being very difficult to port to Switch, Tokyo Mirage Sessions is too niche to even be considered, me thinks. Affordable Space Adventures wouldn't even work.

ConanEdogawa

Oct 31, 2017
Yes and yes. The Wii U is a fantastic console. Don't listen to all the hate from people who never owned one.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you hack it, which is very easy, and use it as a retro/ emulation box, than yes. I wouldn't buy one otherwise. The Wii U library is not very good imo, and all the good stuff you can get on Switch.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It was definitely worth it a the time, I think, but with the amount of games that have been ported to the Switch, the reasons for buying one now are a lot slimmer.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I got it cheap off ebay when BotW came out. Initially I was really impressed, I loved the option of tv or handheld and didn't mind the tablet at all. Now though....

I can absolutely tell you no.

Why you ask?

Simple Answer: Nintendo games do not dimish in value.

Figured I was buying an old ass system, I can grab a decent library of games that are now Switch ports on the cheap.

IE: DK, Bayonetta 2 and a few more

No. They are either still full price, no where to be found, or full priced digitally.

Nintendo's pricing is my major turn off to adopt a switch in a few years. Like no point in waiting if at that point 10 year old ports are being sold at full price.

They're there, but you'll pay full for most if not all.

I have been selling my Wii U versions of games to fund the purchase of Switch versions.

I have never broken even. In most cases I get 50% of the way there.

Oct 25, 2017
There are some excellent games on Wii U that still haven't made it anywhere else. Tokyo Mirage Sessions, W101, Zelda remasters, SM3DW, Pikmin 3, Super Mario Maker, etc.

Obviously it's entirely possible some/most of this stuff is coming to Switch eventually but there isn't necessarily a guarantee of that. I say $100 isn't bad at all to experience the games that are on there.