• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should you get a Wii U for $100 or less?

• Yes

Votes: 578 60.2%
  • No

Votes: 382 39.8%

• Total voters

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I might pay $100 just to finish playing Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Trading in my Wii U was a terrible, terrible mistake.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Please listen to these people...geez...reading the past few pages, it really is true that 99% of WiiU owners are members here or at the old place. Alot of revisionist history...

...but if you are going to listen to people, some of which ALWAYS flip out when these games are ported at $20 more than they think they should be on the Switch...now telling you to overpay $100 and buy literally every game under the sun (Wonderful 101? Really?) for one of the worst values in the post 16 bit era...then go ahead!

(BTW, if you really want Wii/GC backwards compatibility, just buy a Wii...you don't need to buy a WiiU just for Zelda remasters lol)
Wonderful 101 is fucking awesome.

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. The Wii U is Nintendo's best system ever. And if you are willing to tinker with it a bit and go the homebrew route, it's bar none the ultimate Nintendo system.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
If you have a Switch, the value is somewhat reduced, but even then there are still some great Wii U exclusives (3D World, #FE, etc.). Unlike the Switch, there is a full Virtual Console, as well as streaming media apps (Netflix, Crunchyroll, Amazon).

Not to mention, you can also play the whole Wii library with it, and (with a small hack) the GameCube library as well. Wind Waker HD or Wind Waker SD, take your pick!

the_korben

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say yes, but then I was and still am a Wii U fanboy. I still really like the feeling of the Gamepad, the 80-hour battery life of the Pro Controller, the idiosyncracies of the OS and of course the great library. Even with all the Switch ports, you still have a lot of stuff that gives the Wii U incredible value, which others here have elaborated on. The only real bummer is that you can't experience how great MiiVerse was and how it gave the console a really unique feeling. So I don't know how the Wii U would seem to somebody who hasn't been along for the incredibly depressing but nonetheless great ride from 2012 to 2017.

Then again, I also really liked Devil's Third, so you probably shouldn't believe a word I say. ;)

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd say yes, but then I was and still am a Wii U fanboy. I still really like the feeling of the Gamepad, the 80-hour battery life of the Pro Controller, the idiosyncracies of the OS and of course the great library. Even with all the Switch ports, you still have a lot of stuff that gives the Wii U incredible value, which others here have elaborated on. The only real bummer is that you can't experience how great MiiVerse was and how it gave the console a really unique feeling. So I don't know how the Wii U would seem to somebody who hasn't been along for the incredibly depressing but nonetheless great ride from 2012 to 2017.

Then again, I also really liked Devil's Third, so you probably shouldn't believe a word I say. ;)
MiiVerse was a really cool concept. Really wish they would have cultivated it better.

Aiustis

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cybertronic Purgatory
I didn't have a Wii but I got a Wii U
Tokyo Mirage Sessions, W101, Pikmin 3, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Super Mario Maker and Affordable Space Adventure
Also it's got an okay browser
Sadly you won't get the glory that was the MiiVerse

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As for no-yet-ported-to-Switch-games: Pikmin 3 and Super Mario Maker are pretty dang neat

Splatoon and Smash Bros for WiiU too, but those have been topped by sequels on the Switch IMO.

Oct 26, 2017
Depends. A lot of the Wii U's best games either have superior sequels on the Switch or were ported, with only a few, albeit excellent, exclusives remaining. If those, plus the ability to go back and play Wii games is enticing, then, yeah, I'd say it's worth it. Otherwise...well, if you really wanna play a small handful of the best games this generation that aren't available on the Switch, then, sure, but they're not exactly for everyone

I got my money's worth out of it, more than so I did with the PS4 actually, but my tastes are also somewhat specific and different from a lot of other people

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Unless you're going to hack your Wii U so you can play all your Wii/Gamecube games too, I don't think it's worth.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
I'm tempted myself.

Yoshi's WW , Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Wind Waker HD, Tropical Freeze, Toad Adventure. Even the games that have been ported to the Switch haven't changed much and cost more than new or used WiiU version. Nintendo and their full priced ports... Most WiiU games can be found used for $10-30. If or when Nintendo ports them over, they'll be $45-60.

Boshar

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Great to see so much love for Devil's Third. I loved the multiplayer in that.

Even when you don't hack it a Wii U gives you acces to so many of Nintendo's top games via HDMI it's a no brainer. (I have 2 Wii U's, one of them hacked into the ultimate homebrew/retro machine).

Dec 20, 2017
I recognize there were great games on Wii U but the hardware was so terrible that it kept me from turning it on. With that said, I'm of the opinion that if there's even one exclusive game on it that you want to play, it's worth it.

Oct 26, 2017
Bought one.

To get my old digital library, I have to have nintendo transfer my nnid correct? I can't just log onto this console and sign in and expect them to be there, correct?

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Definitely worth it for me, definitely an underrated console. Got one used a few months back and it's been my (4yo and a half) son's entry in the videogame world. We play NSMBU and Mario Kart 8 together using my old wii controllers so it's quite simple for him to learn. Screw nostalgia, those newer games are better.
Eventually, we'll play the other awesome games we have:
Zelda WW
Mario 3D World
Yoshi's Woolly World
DK Tropical Freeze
And my old Wii games (NSMB, Kirby Supersomething, Klonoa etc)

leder

Oct 25, 2017
It's worth it for Wonderful 101 alone.

But it also has:

Yoshi's Wooly World
Kirby Rainbow Curse
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Splatoon 1 (which has a great exclusive single player campaign)
Super Mario Maker
LOZ:WWHD
LOZ:TPHD
NES Remix
Nintendo Land (this game is underrated)
Super Mario 3D World
Xenoblade Chronicles X
SSB4 (although I strongly urge you to grab the Switch Sequel instead)
Star Fox Zero (this is actually a pretty cool little game)
Paper Mario Color Splash

And Pikmin 3. I cannot emphasize this enough - Pikmin 3 is freaking incredible. A MASTERPIECE even.

As much as I love my Switch, I still think Wii U has a better library of Nintendo exclusives right now. I'm sure that will change in 2019 though, especially as more of the Wii U's library is ported over.
Are you me?

Read this post OP, because it is the TRUTH

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One amazing console once hacked, access to all nintendo consoles from nes, snes, n64, cube (perfect compability to the point of even making some games 60fps from 30fps like mario sunshine), wii (perfect compability too) and wii u (also portables) ps1, genesis, etc. Whicj is awesome

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Dunno about now but it was definitely worth it at the time. Built up quite the excellent library of games.

Oct 29, 2017
A comprehensive list of remaining Wii U home console exclusives (3DS ports are highlighted in bold)...

Nintendo Land
Zombi U (While it is technically available on other platforms; the gameplay experience sans Gamepad is so neutered that they're absolutely not worth bothering with at all)
Sing Party
Wii Kareoke U (Service has now been discontinued, so it's no longer playable - was fun while it lasted though!)
Wii Street U (Technically!)
Game & Wario (Only the Gamer minigame was ported to Wario Ware Gold; the rest are still exclusive)
Pokemon Rumble U (for what it's worth! - But even then, Pokemon Rumble games are all largely the same anyway)
Pikmin 3
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Art Academy Home Studio
The Wonderful 101
Wii Sports Club
Wii Party U
Wii Fit U
Mario & Sonic 2014 at the Sochi Olympics (3DS version is a completely different game)
Super Mario 3D World
NES Remix 1 & 2 (As Ultimate NES Remix - though a few challenges and Super Luigi Bros remained Wii U Exclusive)
Dr Luigi (As Dr Mario Miracle Cure)

Pushmo World
Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water
Smash Bros for Wii U (Arguably as both Smash Bros for 3DS and Smash Bros Ultimate on Switch)
Kirby & The Rainbow Curse
Affordable Space Adventures
Mario Party 10
Mario vs Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars (As Mario vs Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars for 3DS)
amiibo tap: Nintendo's greatest bits (This doesn't really count as a game, but all of the featured games are actually available on the 3DS VC anyway)

Xenoblade Chronicles X
Splatoon (Outside of its single player mode however, Splatoon 2 makes the first game almost entierly redundant as it includes most of its multiplayer content anyway)
Yoshi's Wooly World (As Poochy & Yoshi's Wooly World)
Devil's Third (Only the single player portion; the multiplayer was ported to PC - Though both have been shut down now anyway)
Super Mario Maker (As Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS)
Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival
Mario Tennis Ultra Smash (Ported as-is as the Tennis portion of Mario Sports Superstars - it was also actually finished and released on Switch as Mario Tennis Aces)
Tokyo Mirage Sessions#FE
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
Mini Mario & Friends: Amiibo Challenge (As Mini Mario & Friends: Amiibo Challenge for Nintendo 3DS)
Star Fox Guard
Star Fox Zero
Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games (3DS version is a completely different game)
Paper Mario Color Splash

I do think that most of those will end up getting ported to Switch; but probably not all of them (The Wii___ series of games, Devil's Third, AC Amiibo Festival, M&S Olympics games, Affordable Space Adventures and Mario Party 10 have little to no chance - while the games that have already received 3DS ports probably won't happen either...). The only ones that absolutely cannot be re-released on Switch right now are Art Academy Home Studio and Kirby & The Rainbow Curse as they need a stylus to work (and the Switch currently has no official Stylus - it also probably needs a hardware revision with Active Stylus support in its screen before this game could be ported over). The rest are all possible, but may require the use of two Switches in tandem to work (this has been done before; perhaps most notably with Pac-Man VS on Switch and Super Mario Party; of course, the ones that do are less likely to make the jump to Switch however...

Even if all of its native library ends up getting ported to the Switch though, the Virtual Console library alone makes the system worth considering however. Given Nintendo's miserable current attempts with their legacy library on Switch, the Wii U VC library is an embarrassment of riches! (Especially considering that it is still the only way you can legally play Earthbound Beginnings!)

So I'd recommend getting it for the VC games and the games that have almost no chance of coming to Switch.

Last edited:

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
I bought one in December 2017 for that price and don't regret it. There are tons of Nintendo exclusives you can find for cheap and some are really great : Pikmin 3, SM3DW, Paper mario, Mario Maker, Xenoblade X, Splatoon, Yoshi wooly world. There are also some ok games like Kirby or Starfox 0 depending on your tastes. For me it really filled 2018 with good games.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
The price of their games makes buying an old Nintendo system a really bad value. You can't pick up a decent library for cheap.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think it's worth it for the yet still exclusives. Would I buy one today? Probably if it was cheap enough. $100+ the price of top quality games isn't bad IMO. If you can get eshop cards on sale that'd be good for your wallet, although sales on them don't happen that often.

I've had one since launch, and between I and my family, the system probably got close to 20,000 hours or more on it, and is still being used sometimes today. (I need to start WW HD heh).

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I wouldn't own one if it weren't for the Wii Virtual Classic titles I purchased on the machine. I don't really feel I need a N64 classic with the titles I have on it. In terms of Wii U games, Mario 3D World is charming ... and it's a machine you can play the original Xenoblade on.

I don't really recommend it.

unicornKnight

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Wii U was totally worth it for me in 2014. But voted No. I expect all the good games to come in Switch. Ok 100$ is a good deal but what about software hunting? And do you want to have another console hooked on TV?

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Wii U was a great system with some fantastic games but unless you're buying for collection purposes I wouldn't pay more than 60.

I'm personally going to keep mine because it's a nice compact little backwards compatable machine and it's also the only place that I can finish Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If you wanna play classic games there's nothing better (outside of... you know...). I have like 60 old games on this thing and boot it up every now and then just to play Mario or Zelda or MM Zero. As far as exclusives go there's a lot of good ones but yea Nintendo fucked this system over. Damn I miss the Miiverse :/

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i'm kind of torn on the prospect... always planned on getting one as a simple wii upgrade, when the price was right

but with most stuff coming on switch and space restraints, going to go with no in my situation

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Its worth it for emulation alone, imho. Rip the games to your pc and man, youre in for a treat. Best way to play breath of the wild, imho.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Wii U's got a decent library, even subtracting all the ones that have made their way to Switch (so far). So for only $100? I'd say go for it.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Wind Waker & Twilight Princess HD, Fatal Frame 5, Super Mario Maker and several more. And if you're like me and missed out on the Wii, you've got that game library to consider as well.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the same boat as you OP. I have a $25 dollar coupon so I might go for it.

I never owned a Wii, so there's a solid amount of games like both Mario Galaxies and DKC Returns that I missed out on.

I own a Switch, but it's possible that some of the Wii U games I've been dying to play don't make it over.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
I don't play 2D games so I would never buy Mario Maker or something like that

Don't @ me

Well I was gonna say yes until you brought this up op.There is a Virtual Console filled full of classic 2d games.

Oh well.

Although there's plenty of non 2d games, 2d games on Snes vc, and mario maker etc boost it as a buy for me

Though

You could buy the mario 64 , other Virtual Console classics non 2d and all the wii games though & any wiiU ones you want still that are non 3d

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. The hardware is too terrible. I have a Wii U in the closet but I'd rather wait for the games to re-release on Switch than set up and use the Wii U.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
More clutter and shit I don't need. Not worth it. Would just spend a bit more and get a switch. Only game I'd want on it would be xenoblade anyway