• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
not entirely sure about stacking console boxes, the xsx box is wider while the ps5 is taller. not much difference. the ps5 is smartly designed to be cheaper and easier to make
Not...really. The PS5 has a higher clock which means its yields would also be impacted, just like XSX has larger die size which impacts yield. You could actually state either side is the "better designed" because Sony was quicker to production meaning earlier in line, however Microsoft waited for RDNA2 technology which does mean better future proofing that might be less of a need for "slim" modelling. Really we have two of the best ever console designs manufactured and no real "winner" out of them due to their amazing quality.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not...really. The PS5 has a higher clock which means its yields would also be impacted, just like XSX has larger die size which impacts yield. You could actually state either side is the "better designed" because Sony was quicker to production meaning earlier in line, however Microsoft waited for RDNA2 technology which does mean better future proofing that might be less of a need for "slim" modelling. Really we have two of the best ever console designs manufactured and no real "winner" out of them due to their amazing quality.

the ps5 boost is not the traditional boost of clocking a chip higher, is more flexible depending on load not temperature, thats why yields are not affected, shown by selling more units than ps4. while also being close in power. in reality they traded "size" for these benefits, but the xsx is big compared to traditional consoles aswell while ps5 can be used vertically/horizontaly like a traditional but bigger console.

*edit: the "size" tradeoff could also had been addressed with increased cost. they could have went with dual fans(older patent, mentioned in engineer interviews) to make it smaller but more expensive. also they could make the power supply external and have a power brick, this would also added cost while making the console smaller. however the size was acceptable with savings in production until the slim arrives.

Last edited:

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I still have my wario64 notifications on despite snagging both a XSX and a PS5 and i swear i see way more ps5 availability than Xbox.

Portodutch

Feb 17, 2021
I still have my wario64 notifications on despite snagging both a XSX and a PS5 and i swear i see way more ps5 availability than Xbox.

From the markets we get information from (Japan, US, UK, Spain and maybe i am forgetting one) the PS5 has been selling more for some weeks now (Thus bigger supply as said both sell out what they ship)

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
XS packaging is smaller.

dimensions? looks like almost double of ps5

kAFHyBW.jpeg

because even if it is , it doesn't look like a meaningful difference

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
the ps5 boost is not the traditional boost of clocking a chip higher, is more flexible depending on load not temperature, thats why yields are not affected, shown by selling more units than ps4. while also being close in power. in reality they traded "size" for these benefits, but the xsx is big compared to traditional consoles aswell while ps5 can be used vertically/horizontaly like a traditional but bigger console.
The PS5 chip is clocked at a higher speed though, it just has firmware for controlling those speeds based on temperature. Much like my AMD software can control my GPU's speed based on temperature. This would most definitely mean yields can be affected by the need for high speed limits, though we know both parties are facing yield issues alongside silicon competition. I'm not quite sure that I get you on the size comparison though, and especially when both consoles can be used vertically or horizontally.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The PS5 chip is clocked at a higher speed though, it just has firmware for controlling those speeds based on temperature. Much like my AMD software can control my GPU's speed based on temperature. This would most definitely mean yields can be affected by the need for high speed limits, though we know both parties are facing yield issues alongside silicon competition. I'm not quite sure that I get you on the size comparison though, and especially when both consoles can be used vertically or horizontally.

the ps5 wouldn't be 2ghz with traditionally clocking, its load depended this makes it easier to yield. they clocked it higher instead of 1.8ghz using bigger cooling and power supply and the resulting size its not a big problem compared to other similarly powered consoles.

Last edited:

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Nah, that disc drive loudness is real on PS5. Worse than PS4. MS consoles really are quieter.

I'm not saying MS consoles aren't quiet, I just find it funny how some over exaggerate the 'PS5 is loud' claims, when in fact it is pretty quiet.

MS consoles are better in that respect though, especially the Series X.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TIL MS waiting for full RDNA2 hardware was 'just pr'.

After initial production, how it affected production later?

I'm not saying MS consoles aren't quiet, I just find it funny how some over exaggerate the 'PS5 is loud' claims, when in fact it is pretty quiet.

MS consoles are better in that respect though, especially the Series X.

There are lots of complains for noisy xsx disc drives, it makes noise when reading drives so i dont know how ppl claim it makes no noise. The ps5 issue is reading the drive without using a game, could be patched