• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is your PS5 still working and how have you used it so far?

• Yes, and I HAVE: Used wired data transfer / Used an external HDD / Used rest mode

Votes: 107 51.4%
  • Yes, and I have NOT: Used wired data transfer / Used an external HDD / Used rest mode

Votes: 35 16.8%
  • Option 1, but I have experienced an unexpected non-critical issue

Votes: 20 9.6%
  • Option 2, but I have experienced an unexpected non-critical issue

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • No, and I HAVE: Used wired data transfer / Used an external HDD / Used rest mode

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • No, and I have NOT: Used wired data transfer / Used an external HDD / Used rest mode

Votes: 11 5.3%
  • I do not have a PS5

Votes: 17 8.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
UPDATE:
I've just realised that some of the poll options were conflicting, so:

Select Options 1 or 5 if you have used ANY of the listed features.
Select Options 2 or 6 if you have not used ALL of the listed features.

Silly me.
------

Hey everyone,

I get a feeling that a lot of fear-mongering and concern trolling is happening right now regarding the scope and specificity of issues relating to the usability and general safety in using certain PS5 features, so I'm hoping that the above poll will help to dispel (or indeed potentially reinforce) the existence of any issues so far.

The poll will focus around what I seem to see the most reported causes of issues are:
  • Setting up the PS5 initially by using any of the wired connections on the console, specifically the LAN port
  • Using an external HDD
  • Using rest mode (primarily while games are running, but generally in any way)
I understand that this poll is not going to cover every scenario and possibly completely ignores many others, but it should help to shed some light on, I hope, the cause of the majority of issues that users are reporting.

Here's a brief guide on how to vote in this poll for the 7 of you who will read the OP before casting:

1. Yes, and I HAVE: Used wired data transfer / Used an external HDD / Used rest mode - Please select this option if your PS5 is working completely fine and you use any of the listed features. For example if you use an HDD and do not use rest mode, please choose this option

2. Yes, and I have NOT: Used wired data transfer AND Used an external HDD AND Used rest mode - Please select this option if your PS5 is working completely fine and you do not use ALL of the listed features.

3. Option 1, but I have experienced an unexpected non-critical issue - Select this option if you use PS5 similarly to option 1, but have experienced an issue that has not affected the usability of the PS5.
    • In this instance non-critical refers to an error or malfunction that does not prevent the console from working normally after a restart. These could be crash reports of any frequency, games unexpectedly uninstalling themselves, other irregular behaviour that does not prevent the console from powering on and running a game.

1. Option 2, but I have experienced an unexpected non-critical issue - Select this option if you use PS5 similarly to option 2, but have experienced an issue that has not affected the usability of the PS5.
    • In this instance non-critical refers to an error or malfunction that does not prevent the console from working normally after a restart. These could be crash reports of any frequency, games unexpectedly uninstalling themselves, other irregular behaviour that does not prevent the console from powering on and running a game."

1. No, and I HAVE: Used wired data transfer / Used an external HDD / Used rest mode - Select this option if your PS5 is no longer usable and you have used any of the listed features

2. No, and I have NOT: Used wired data transfer AND Used an external HDD AND Used rest mode - Select this option if your PS5 is no longer usable and you have not used ALL of the listed features
I hope that we can all find this useful, and any suggestions on the formatting and phrasing of questions or a better way to pose this idea in general is more than welcome. I would just like to try to give some peace of mind if possible.

Last edited:

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Oops I already screwed up the poll. I have used rest mode and have had no issues. I voted that I haven't used rest mode and had no issues. Didn't expect to see rest mode there.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Yesterday the mods closed a thread like this one because anyone can come and choose any option and lie about it.

Poll option corrections
OP
OP
Vexii

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I've just realised that some of the poll options were conflicting, so:

Select Options 1 or 5 if you have used ANY of the listed features.
Select Options 2 or 6 if you have not used ALL of the listed features.

Silly me.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Used the ethernet cable on the back and rest mode and I have had zero issues with AC Valhalla and Miles Morales after about 7 hours.

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
didnt transfer anything over, dont have any external storage, but i do use rest mode, only issue i had was when i first booted up horizon zero dawn, once i started a new game, there was no audio and i went to close it, the system got stuck on the closing game screen and i had to force shutdown the system via holding down the power button, but no issues since

DarkLegion

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
No real issues but I'm not using rest mode after seeing a few posts bring it up.

The biggest issue I had was bugsnax not booting up but I just had to restore my license.
Also have a minor coil sound but I can live with that. It's 1000x better than my launch day ps4 pro

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Didn't open it yet. The more I read the issue thread and the "Welp..." thread, the more I began to doubt. Then Darkness consumed me.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Working so far, but had a hard lock requiring pulling a plug when trying to start FFXV from an external SSD.
Unplugged the SSD, ethernet cable, stopped using rest mode after that.
Finished DeS today and the only problems were 3 random crashes.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No external HDD, no local transfer, only downloads, and I have used rest mode.

Demon's Souls crashed on me in the Nexus right after the first boss. There's a cutscene telling you to go upstairs, and when I started to head up it hard crashed with a "report this bug to Sony" dialog. I restart the game and have the exact same crash in the exact same place going up the stairs. I restart a third time, run in circles downstairs for a bit, then went up and everything seems fine now.

No other issues yet. I won't be using my external drive until we hear something from official channels.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, and I HAVE: Used wired data transfer / Used an external HDD / Used rest mode

No issues to speak of.

Keep in mind this Spiderman issue isn't new. Spiderman has been causing sleep issues going back to PS4.
I've been avoiding putting my PS into sleep mode with Spiderman running since issues with the PS4 version.

Also people complaining about having issues with games queued for download.
Yesterday I had more than 14 games in my queue at once with no issues.

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
I don't know which to vote....I used a wired data transfer. I haven't used an external drive. I put the PS5 in rest mode but only when games are fully closed. They boot up and load fast enough for me.

No issues so far.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Only issue I had to far is the system went into rest mode once when I unplugged my headphones from the controller.

SecondVariety

Oct 29, 2017
My PS5 is working fine, but I have only used it for four hours over the past two days. Same as my XSX. I don't use rest mode and didn't use the wired transfer, but I did swap over an external hard drive and play some games off of it.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
No issues so far. I've take the system in an out of rest mode multiple times, and plaued multiple games.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm leaving my PS5 in the box until Christmas because I'll be giving my kid the PS4 on that day. So hopefully by then there will be a ton of new system update fixes.

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I'm one of those who experienced issues. I was playing Miles Morales and had an external SSD hooked up via one of the back ports, and the game crashed twice. The second time it shut off the system mid-mission. I was able to turn the PS5 back on, it gave me an error about unplugging the SSD (I hadn't unplugged it) and then said it needed to rebuild the database. The screen then went black and remained black for several minutes. I was able to turn off/turn the PS5 back on again, and I unplugged the SSD. I've left it unplugged for now and haven't had any other issues, thankfully.

For what it's worth, it wasn't until I started playing Miles Morales that I had issues. I'd been playing the PS4 version of Spider-Man (not the remaster) from the SSD all day yesterday without an issue.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for doing this but I do feel the title still plays into that idea of "is it broken yet?" idea. Honestly the amount of topics with people hand wringing about the relatability of both launch consoles is really putting me off coming here right now. I'm looking forward to getting mine and I hope it's okay. I appreciate that given a new launch alongside a pandemic is going to effect manufacturing etc so I just hope things improve.

Tawney Bomb

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I had a crash in Miles Morales and the system shut itself off. Powered it up and it did the rebuild and has worked fine since.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Mine is loud at times but I expected it to be
Demons souls has crashed on me 2x. Just the game quit not hardware shutting down.

I'm not going to use rest mode until there is word it's ok. Or an update is out. Better safe than sorry.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Poll is kinda useless as anyone can choose an option to skew it either way. Honestly, next gen has just launched and we are obviously gonna get some issues, happens every time. People just need to chill out imo and enjoy. That title too, lol. Is your PS5 still working...

Cartoonic21

Oct 25, 2017
Used rest mode twice and good experience so far with no issues.

Hesitant to use my external HDD since that seems to be the thing with most issues.

SiassaDavid

Jun 15, 2018
Vienna, Austria
Hey everyone,

I get a feeling that a lot of fear-mongering and concern trolling is happening right now regarding the scope and specificity of issues relating to the usability and general safety in using certain PS5 features, so I'm hoping that the above poll will help to dispel (or indeed potentially reinforce) the existence of any issues so far.

The poll will focus around what I seem to see the most reported causes of issues are:
  • Setting up the PS5 initially by using any of the wired connections on the console, specifically the LAN port
  • Using an external HDD
  • Using rest mode (primarily while games are running, but generally in any way)
I understand that this poll is not going to cover every scenario and possibly completely ignores many others, but it should help to shed some light on, I hope, the cause of the majority of issues that users are reporting.

Here's a brief guide on how to vote in this poll for the 7 of you who will read the OP before casting:

1. Yes, and I HAVE: Used wired data transfer / Used an external HDD / Used rest mode - Please select this option if your PS5 is working completely fine and you use any of the listed features. For example if you use an HDD and do not use rest mode, please choose this option

2. Yes, and I have NOT: Used wired data transfer AND Used an external HDD AND Used rest mode - Please select this option if your PS5 is working completely fine and you do not use ALL of the listed features.

3. Option 1, but I have experienced an unexpected non-critical issue - Select this option if you use PS5 similarly to option 1, but have experienced an issue that has not affected the usability of the PS5.
    1. In this instance non-critical refers to an error or malfunction that does not prevent the console from working normally after a restart. These could be crash reports of any frequency, games unexpectedly uninstalling themselves, other irregular behaviour that does not prevent the console from powering on and running a game.
  4. Option 2, but I have experienced an unexpected non-critical issue - Select this option if you use PS5 similarly to option 2, but have experienced an issue that has not affected the usability of the PS5.
    1. In this instance non-critical refers to an error or malfunction that does not prevent the console from working normally after a restart. These could be crash reports of any frequency, games unexpectedly uninstalling themselves, other irregular behaviour that does not prevent the console from powering on and running a game.
  5. No, and I HAVE: Used wired data transfer / Used an external HDD / Used rest mode - Select this option if your PS5 is no longer usable and you have used any of the listed features

6. No, and I have NOT: Used wired data transfer AND Used an external HDD AND Used rest mode - Select this option if your PS5 is no longer usable and you have not used ALL of the listed features
I hope that we can all find this useful, and any suggestions on the formatting and phrasing of questions or a better way to pose this idea in general is more than welcome. I would just like to try to give some peace of mind if possible.
This post won't stop fear-mongering and concern trolling - don't see a point.
Every hardware has a percentage that's defective at launch.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Works perfectly, I didn't transfer from my PS4, I downloaded a couple of games and loaded a couple from disc. All I've done is play a few of those games. Always in rest mode.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Used rest mode twice and good experience so far with no issues.

Hesitant to use my external HDD since that seems to be the thing with most issues.

That's a hardware defect though.. If it isn't working now it's never going to work.

Use your console, put it through the paces. Better to find out now.

OP
OP
Vexii

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Thanks for doing this but I do feel the title still plays into that idea of "is it broken yet?" idea. Honestly the amount of topics with people hand wringing about the relatability of both launch consoles is really putting me off coming here right now. I'm looking forward to getting mine and I hope it's okay. I appreciate that given a new launch alongside a pandemic is going to effect manufacturing etc so I just hope things improve.
Hey thanks for the critique of the thread title. I agree that it's hard to not play into that kind of mindset especially with how new and raw a lot of this debate still is, however with so much concern being spread over how PS5s are bricking, I wanted to focus more on elevating cases where the PS5 is still working. Asking "Is it still working?" just seems like the most natural way to extract that response.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
No issue with the ethernet/LAN port or cable, everything's fine there. The few times I've used rest mode has been fine. I did have an issue with an external HDD, but I was able to fix it and it works now.

SkullHydra

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Feb 20, 2018
I actually have a quite concerning issue with mine. It's glitched out in a couple lines down the screen. I've changed HDMI cables, slots, TVs, etc. It's definitely a PS5 issue.

I transferred games from an external hard drive before I knew about the issue, and I have used rest mode. I don't do either anymore.

It's also weird because if I adjust the resolution away from 4k, it temporarily goes away. I'm probably going to have to contact Sony to get it fixed. =\ I'll see if I can upload a video.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
I haven't had any usb hooked up but I used rest mode and now HDR doesn't work

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
So far so good. Have had it in rest mode with a game still running. Booted no problem.

The only game I'm doing a full close on is Spider-Man. Since I've heard it's troublesome. I save, close, rest mode.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
to those easily panic... remember this.

people post (loudly i might add) when there's issues.

the vast majority without issues? they are playing the games and/or not posting that it is working for them.

Do you post on your social media about your ISP when your internet is working well? No, u post when it's down.

So take a long breath and relax.

Slammey

Mar 8, 2018
Disk version : Setup went smooth with wireless connection. Installed Spiderman MM with Spiderman Remastered, Demon Souls, NHL 21, Astrobot.

Played Astrobot for maybe 3 hours. Played Spiderman Remastered for an hour. I close games whenever I am done. Using rest mode with no issue even having it on for like 12 hours and resumed under 10 seconds no issues.

Did not use any external HDD/SSD and only plugged in the usb cable to charge the duel sense.

Everything works flawlessly as of now.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
  • Crash in Miles that completely locked up the system.
  • Audio bug in Miles where I had no dialogue audio.
  • Weird issue where everything was washed out and had to system restart.
  • All on internal ssd, with mid of rest mode and not.

A note about the reliability of the poll
OP
OP
Vexii

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
The poll is not designed to be perfect. The poll is designed to be a quick reference that gives people a general idea about how widespread issues are without needing to read 30 pages of forum threads.

Generally speaking, I expect the poll results to mostly remain true to real-world levels of reported problems. Sure, people can lie on the poll if they really, really want to, but given the limited tools on offer here it's the cheapest, best and most useful metric that we have for quick and efficient reporting of the numbers.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Working fine and I have:

Used network data transfer (an error occurred during transfer however.)
NOT used an external HDD
Used Rest Mode
Used Rest Mode in Spider Man Resmastered. (I like living dangerously)

Status
Not open for further replies.